help with wii motion plus

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by plubkid, Sep 11, 2013.

1. plubkid
    OP

plubkid Member

Newcomer
    Sep 11, 2013
    United States
    Hello all,
    I recently softmodded my family's wii (I used the youtube tutorial: How To Hack Any Nintendo Wii 4.3 - Homebrew Channel (Letterbomb) ).
    I have a system that we bought new about a year ago that I down graded to 4.1U.
    I looked all over to try to find a fix that works for this system. the player.dol that came with the hack pack doesn't load.
    all of my controllers have wii motion plus in the controller. I have neogamma r8 ios 249 rev 10, configurable usb loader 70 mod r15,
    wii flow version 1.1 for ios 249 and 222, and usb loader gx 1.0 r938. All of these came with the hack pack,
    all of them have failed to load the player.dol I have.
    I'm still pretty new to this so take it easy on me, I cant load red steel 2 or wii sports resort.
    please help me fix this problem all i get is that dreaded black screen.

thanks

2. yusuo

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    Hang on what is this player dol you speak of,all my experience I've come to know homebrew channel will only see files named boot.dol try renaming and get back to us, either that or clarify your question cause you say it does t work but you fail to mention what exactly your intending to get working

Also I would advise going up to 4.3. Its fully hackable so there really isn't a need. I say this cause I've never had any motion plus troubles And I've played through skyward sword a few times

3. plubkid
    OP

plubkid Member

Newcomer
    Sep 11, 2013
    United States
    like i said i get a black screen whenever i try to start a wii motion plus game. all the tutorials i have found tell me that i need to use player.dol (if im not mistaken its the video for wii motion plus) to fix the problem but whenever i do that it just freezes when it trys to load it. renaming it wasnt mentioned in any of those tutorials. they all say to choose an alternate dol and then pick player.dol and then it freezes or gives me the black screen
    also how would i go about going to 4.3 wihout bricking my wii?

4. Aractus

Aractus GBAtemp Regular

Aug 4, 2013
    Canberra
    4.1 and 4.3 are the same in terms of official functionality. A black screen indicates that your IOS - or cIOS - didn't load. Post a syscheck (guide is here, but use the official code.google.com link to get the latest version).

5. plubkid
    OP

plubkid Member

Newcomer
    Sep 11, 2013
    United States
    this is my system check
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

6. blaisedinsd

blaisedinsd GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 6, 2012
    United States
    I thought the player.dol thing he is talking about was an obsolete work around.

You select it in your USB loader, how depends on which one. I have seen GX allows you to select an alternative DOL file.

I think the main thing with Wii motion plus games is you have to watch the motion plus video one time before you can play the games. I had done that before modding my Wii.

I have not had any issues playing motion plus games Red Steel 2, Wii Sports Resort, Wii Play motion, Skyward Sword

7. plubkid
    OP

plubkid Member

Newcomer
    Sep 11, 2013
    United States
    Hey guys. just saying that i still have the problem and i posted my system check above as per request. thanks to everyone who replied so far. blaisedinsd had a good idea, it is possible that the work around is obsolete. I'd like to avoid needing to buy a wii motion plus game because I soft modded my system just so i wouldn't need to do that.

8. Aractus

Aractus GBAtemp Regular

Aug 4, 2013
    Canberra
    You've got a really old and out of date syscheck version, the current version is here and gives a bit more info especially on your cIOS's. However, with that said, your system looks fine (with the exception that cIOS249 looks like it isn't current with your other cIOS's - if you post a syscheck with the current version it'll tell us what version cIOS's are installed).

Could I have a link to the guide that you used? Do you have the latest version of the HBC installed?

Here's my suggestion for the moment, try loading Red Steel 2 and Wii Sports Resort with IOS250 instead of IOS249, and let me know if they load.

9. plubkid
    OP

plubkid Member

Newcomer
    Sep 11, 2013
    United States
    ok here is my system check with the app you gave me aractus
    and here is the link to the first video. its quite long
    I am not sure how to update homebrew or to check it but the home brew menu says...
    and finally, I tried to use IOS 250 but it just sent me back to the wii's main menu.
    I'm guessing i do have an old version of just about everything. I'm going to go through and check for updates for all my usb loaders.

10. Aractus

Aractus GBAtemp Regular

Aug 4, 2013
    Canberra
    Great, that's a bit better.
    Yes, but it also tells me that in the syscheck. :)

Yes you do, however you need to start with the cIOS's. Here's Hermes cIOS's on your Wii:
    You do not need them for much, however you have not got them set up correctly. 2 of them are v4 - that really doesn't matter, however IOS223 should be base37, and it's not it's base 38 so really you've just got the same cIOS installed in slots 222 and 223!

The guide is here, it's kind of an annoying process to install them (because you have to put the files in those specific directories on your SD card), you only need to overwrite 223 and set the base to IOS37, but you can also overwrite 222 if you want to upgrade it to v5.1.

Okay, on to d2x:
    You have v6 in three of the four slots, and I don't even know what version you have in slot 249, but it's set up incorrectly because 249 and 250 both are using base 57, which means they're more or less duplicates of each other!

First choose what version you want, either v8 or v10beta, then download it here. Don't download the vWii version. You can use modmii, but I think it only builds for slots 249 and 250!

If you get the cIOS installer here you can install the full set, this is the usual configuration:

245 base 37
    246 base 38
    247 base 53
    248 base 55
    249 base 56
    250 base 57
    251 base 58

11. plubkid
    OP

plubkid Member

Newcomer
    Sep 11, 2013
    United States
    ok I installed all of the cios's and ios's you said were wrong and tried to boot the game with both ios's again and it didnt work. is there more that i need to do first? should i post another system check?

12. plubkid
    OP

plubkid Member

Newcomer
    Sep 11, 2013
    United States
    here is my ios system check after all that
    and here is the regular system check after all that
    please help,
    thank you

13. d.d.d.

d.d.d. GBAtemp Fan

Jun 26, 2012
    Tokyo Metropolis
    I see that your d2x version is still v6... I don't recall when the MotionPlus bug was resolved but, there was an update in d2x that allowed MotionPlus games to run normally. I'm running v8 and I have no trouble with the few MP games that there are. Try that and make sure your USB loader of choice is current as well.

14. plubkid
    OP

plubkid Member

Newcomer
    Sep 11, 2013
    United States
    how would I go about doing that? like I said I'm pretty new to this

15. d.d.d.

d.d.d. GBAtemp Fan

Jun 26, 2012
    Tokyo Metropolis
    • Please do not link to cIOS WAD files (Warez).
    USBLGX current rev is here. v1218 is the current one.
    (Click on the 3.0+ folder and navigate to find v1218.)
    If you have the USBLGX forwarder loaded on your Wii, you can just copy the 249 version (boot.dol) into your SD/apps/usbloader_gx folder to replace the current one.

For the cIOSes:
    A. You can use ModMii to build and download the cIOSs. That may be a little hard since you say you're new at this.
    B. An alternative would be to use prepared wads for v8. (Please google for them yourself. ooops.)
    You do need to use a program to install the wads like, WiiMod, MMM (multimodmanager), or something like that.
    C. Or the most lengthy, just rehack your Wii from the start but that's really unnecessary and may be more confusing.

16. plubkid
    OP

plubkid Member

Newcomer
    Sep 11, 2013
    United States
    OK I got the wads package and loaded them via multi mod manager i also got that latest version of GX and configurable usb loader. I attempted to run redsteel 2 and it sent me back to the menu and i tried running it on configurable usb loader with ios 249 and then ios 250. all of them gave me the same result of sending me back to the wii menu. I'm going to get a different version of the game, hopefully that will help.

17. plubkid
    OP

plubkid Member

Newcomer
    Sep 11, 2013
    United States
    I downloaded another copy with the same results. i think that if i update my system back to 4.3U it may fix the problem. any thoughts? tips? how-tos?

18. plubkid
    OP

plubkid Member

Newcomer
    Sep 11, 2013
    United States
    ok this is getting me no where. can anyone just point me in the right direction to un-softmod my wii and then a tutorial to re-hack it that will actually work?

19. user64

user64 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 14, 2013
    Canada
    So if your problem is never seeing the wii motion plus screen, could you possibly just borrow a friend's skyward sword or something?

20. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    ModMii.

And NEVER downgrade a Wii, it is pointless and dangerous.