Hacking NOOB PARADISE - ask away

Mario92

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Finland
I installed DIOS MIOS with wad manager, updated USB loader GX to newest one and put NGC path to USB drive but when I try to load game it says that game is on USB and needs to be loaded to SD. I use only 2GB card so thats almost impossible. What am I doing wrong?

Anon10W1z

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

VSigma100

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi
Is there anyway of using a 64gb sd card on my wii,i would like to store games on it and then play through the homebrew channel using a usb loader...
The Wii only works with 2GB SD Cards. I'd get an External HDD if I were you. They're better suited for USB Loaders.

hahaha what??? are you stupid? Really how stupid are you.
How about I ask a question now. How ignorant are you? Did you even consider whether I was new to this or not?

It doesn't matter how new or old you are at this. You shouldn't state misinforming facts that you dont know are true or not. Guess this is the "noob paradise"
Considering the fact that a couple other hackers told me that the Wii only works with SD Cards up to 2GB I took it as factual information. My bad. That's no need to be a dick and call me names.

bobea

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
To my Knowledge the wii can run SD cards to 2GB officially 4GB unofficially (and in some cases with some hackery).
Wii can officially Run SDHC cards and i believe those go as high as 32GB (could be larger but i don't know).
According to the above video some wii's can Unofficially run SDXC cards that so far come in 64GB and 128GB flavors but may get as high as 2TB.

Also to consider is Speed this comes in a few flavors Class , "x" Rating and UHS speed class

Classes denotes MB/sec as a minimum sustained write speed for a card in a fragmented state. (so the slowest the card will ever be)
Class 2 = 2MB/sec | Class 4 = 4MB/sec | Class 10 = 10MB/sec ect
Classes are currently 2,4,6,10. I recommend class 10 but some people report that class 6 is fine. (Price difference is negligible)

"x" Rating is a multiple of the standard CD rom drive speed of 150 kB/s. Many report as the card's fastest read speed, some manufactures report write speed.
16x = Aprox. Class 2 | 32x = Aprox Class 4 | 48x = Aprox Class 6 | 100x = Aprox Class 10

Ultra-High Speed (UHS) comes in two flavors:

- UHS-1 commonly available now - Currently ≥10 MB/s, at 100 MHz frequency could transfer 50 MB/s , at 200 MHz frequency could transfer 100 MB/s

- UHS-2 - data transfer rate to a theoretical maximum of 312 MB/s, As of yet no standard released; may require new port.

Wii does not officially support UHS speeds.

Info from my brain and wiki. Hope this helps some people.

Qetzlcoatl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
updated USB loader GX to newest one

Do You really update it to "newest one"?
Newest "oficial 3.0 release" is at "revision level" 1180, while You need something like "release" 1193 to work with DIOS MIOS (not Lite), I think.
So, just download 1193 "mod" from the same site You've got 3.0 and replace boot.dol with new one.

Mario92

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Finland

Newest "oficial 3.0 release" is at "revision level" 1180, while You need something like "release" 1193 to work with DIOS MIOS (not Lite), I think.
So, just download 1193 "mod" from the same site You've got 3.0 and replace boot.dol with new one.
Found r1193 but it still tells me to install GC games to SD card. I though if I actually had DML installed earlier as I was messing around with my Wii some time ago so I uninstalled both DML and DM wads, restarted Wii, installed DM again and still it says it needs to be installed to SD card!

cerebr_al

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
@[member='Anon10W1z'], Yes MMM does load and I have installed all but 16 of the wads that came with the Modmii download (as stated above), with it.
What IOS is loaded by default for you? Is it IOS36?

@[member='Anon10W1z'], I load MMM and as you suggested, at the bottom of the menu it says: current IOS 58 v6176

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country

Found r1193 but it still tells me to install GC games to SD card. I though if I actually had DML installed earlier as I was messing around with my Wii some time ago so I uninstalled both DML and DM wads, restarted Wii, installed DM again and still it says it needs to be installed to SD card!
if you're talking about the same message I think you are, there are two paths for gamecube games, the SD one and the main one in custom paths. try changing the other one to usb1 and it should work.

Shano56

noobie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi
Is there anyway of using a 64gb sd card on my wii,i would like to store games on it and then play through the homebrew channel using a usb loader...
The Wii only works with 2GB SD Cards. I'd get an External HDD if I were you. They're better suited for USB Loaders.

hahaha what??? are you stupid? Really how stupid are you.
How about I ask a question now. How ignorant are you? Did you even consider whether I was new to this or not?

It doesn't matter how new or old you are at this. You shouldn't state misinforming facts that you dont know are true or not. Guess this is the "noob paradise"
Considering the fact that a couple other hackers told me that the Wii only works with SD Cards up to 2GB I took it as factual information. My bad. That's no need to be a dick and call me names.

Well my bad for the insult. Just remember that everyone on the internet isn't a "hacker". Facts that seem outlandish like a 2GB should be looked further into. Especially since SM 4.0 introduced the ability to read SDHC cards, and most homebrew can read it as well

Anon10W1z

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@[member='Anon10W1z'], Yes MMM does load and I have installed all but 16 of the wads that came with the Modmii download (as stated above), with it.
What IOS is loaded by default for you? Is it IOS36?

@[member='Anon10W1z'], I load MMM and as you suggested, at the bottom of the menu it says: current IOS 58 v6176
That is the problem. Change that to IOS36 by clicking on it, and move the selection (by using the D-pad) to IOS36. Select it.

cerebr_al

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
OK, will do.

I presume I then attempt to re-install all the wads I downloaded from Modmii again.

Hopefully now, they'll all install.

I'm off to work now so I will post the results later on.

cerebr_al

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, I tried to change the IOS to 36 and MMM would let me do it however still cannot install all the same wads as above.

Interestingly, when I exit MMM and re-load it displays IOS 58 again suggesting to me it hasn't really changed it!?!

HBC shows it's on IOS 58 as well - does this matter?

Another interesting thing is with the Modmii download, another version of IOS36 was included (v3351). It wasn't included in the wad folder. I've put that in the wad folder and tried installing it but that too doesn't want to install with MMM.

Totally confused here!

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
that option is not meant to do any permanent change it only reloads mmm on a different ios NOW
try a cios to install the wads(any > 200)

hbc on 58 is a good thing

cerebr_al

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the reply @[member='PsyBlade'], my kids are going to kill me if I don't get this running by the weekend! :)

In answer to your suggestion, I have cIOS 'X' Rev 19 installer but my controller disconnects from the wii after pressing A the first time. When I first hacked the wii from virgin (it was on 4.1e), I used this with no problems.

I also have a d2x custom installer (v7), but am unsure about using it because when you choose the IOS to install it also asks you to select a base and I have no idea what base to select. Beyond that, I'm not sure if that will work.

Do you have any suggestions re a CIOS installer?

Another thing I notice with the MMM IOS Manager is that some of the IOS that I can't load eg CIOS 250, on the wii it's listed as a stub. That said, I also can't load CIOS 224 but according to MMM there is no stub on the IOS 224 on the wii!?!

By way of background if you haven't read the earlier posts, this wii was running a custom 4.1e firmware with a usb loader (wiiflow) - all fine until it was accidentally updated to 4.3e. I've since re-hacked it via letterbomb and reinstalled HBC - which functions as do homebrew like MMM but it refuses to install all the CIOS I downloaded with Modmii as well as the usb loader/forwarder wad and some ios wads (explained further in a previous post), and needless to say I can't use wiiflow at the moment.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
are you sure that you followed modmiis guide exactly?
I think you must have missed some steps (possibly concerning downgrading or patching ios36)
sorry but I havent used modmii so I can't go into details

Simply starting from the top again should not cause harm AFAIK(!)
just DON'T try to UNDO what you already did

cerebr_al

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've done it twice so far. The only way I've wavered is that I used letterbomb instead of indiana pwns. I also used ios236 installer v6 rather than the v5 that came with Modmii as the v5 didn't want to work. I've installed bootmii as boot2 and priiloader - both work fine. All that's left is to install the CIOS wads (some of the ios wads too - I've discussed this previously), and there is the problem. A whole bunch I downloaded from Modmii install no problems (eg the channel wads), but there are 16 wads that just don't want to install for some reason.

I only used modmii because it has been such a long time since I modded a wii last time and I can't remember exactly how I did it then. Modmii is supposed to be a quick and simple tool but it's really becoming a nightmare for me.

Update: I've just used Simple IOS Patcher to patch IOS36 and everything finally intalled. USBloader has loaded and is currently updating the covers. Woot!

I think this has sorted it. Thanks to everyone for at least trying to help. Much appreciated!

I'll post again if any further problems arise. ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub:
  • Sheeba- @ Sheeba-:
    I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro
    Sheeba- @ Sheeba-: I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro