Hacking NOOB PARADISE - ask away

Bhoona

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So formatting my hard drive in FAT32 worked, i can now rip games from DVD ( wasn't working for NTFS).

JoostinOnline: Ripping "Zelda twilight princess" to HD took 4 minutes 44 seconds.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Bhoona said:
So formatting my hard drive in FAT32 worked, i can now rip games from DVD ( wasn't working for NTFS).

JoostinOnline: Ripping "Zelda twilight princess" to HD took 4 minutes 44 seconds.
I thought the latest Cfg USB Loader revision had full ntfs support, but I guess FAT32 is still better.

whiz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
...one last question (for now): I have two memory cards - one that had all my channels and backups of save data on, and the other one that was originally empty, but I have since used for setting up the softmod. Am I alright starting up the Wii with the other memory card (not the softmod one) (which, from what I have understood, should skip BootMii because the folder isn't on the memory card)?

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
whiz said:
...one last question (for now): I have two memory cards - one that had all my channels and backups of save data on, and the other one that was originally empty, but I have since used for setting up the softmod. Am I alright starting up the Wii with the other memory card (not the softmod one) (which, from what I have understood, should skip BootMii because the folder isn't on the memory card)?
Yes, it just means you won't be able to use any homebrew, unless you have a USB drive or SD Gecko.

person66

If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Batman55 said:
Is there a way to hack 4.3U without a game? I don't have any of the games listed in the noob guides.
Nope. Just rent/borrow one, or, if you have a modchip, you could *coughpiratecough* one

brausm08

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Batman55 said:
Is there a way to hack 4.3U without a game? I don't have any of the games listed in the noob guides.
...if i had a quarter for everytime i heard THAT question.....

if it's a virgin Wii, no...

if it was modded at one time, but then lost HBC during an ill advised update, then...maybe....depends on whether you have Bootmii/boot2v4 or a forwarder channel..... without those, you're SOL.... rent/borrow/buy...those are your choices....

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
latest version of a lot of popular apps, like emulators and WiiMC, stopped using cIOS202 and began using ahbprot via the homebrew channel or a ahbprot enabled forwarder channel. These apps benefit when launched using IOS58 +ahbprot relative to IOS61+ahbprot in terms of USB2.0 speeds (not any faster than cIOS202 though). If you're homebrew channel is installed to use IOS61, you will not have USB2.0 speeds when launching apps via the HBC. However, if that same person had a ahbprot enabled forwarder channel that uses IOS58, that would still be able to launch apps with USB2.0 speeds (assuming IOS58 is installed, which means it woulda had to been installed after the last HBC update otherwise the HBC woulda installed itself to use IOS58 instead of 61)

Anyways, just install IOS58 and reinstall the HBC, problem solved
biggrin.gif

Myschi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Two potentially stupid questions, one from me and one from a buddy.

First: Is it possible to somehow connect the Wii to your computer (and therefore an internal harddrive) in order to run ROMs and whatnot from the Homebrew Channel?

Second: I'm having this weird error with the HBC. I just installed a game, Valhalla Knights of Eldar Saga, and it didn't work. It froze, gave me a green-screen error, and crashed back to the HBC main menu. I try it a bit later, after installing some other things (from WiiBackup and the HBC's install feature) and it suddenly works! Now I'm having the same 'green-screen' error with Lost In Shadow. Are there any ways to find out what's causing this and/or how to fix it?

Thanks again, guys.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
XFlak said:
latest version of a lot of popular apps, like emulators and WiiMC, stopped using cIOS202 and began using ahbprot via the homebrew channel or a ahbprot enabled forwarder channel. These apps benefit when launched using IOS58 +ahbprot relative to IOS61+ahbprot in terms of USB2.0 speeds (not any faster than cIOS202 though). If you're homebrew channel is installed to use IOS61, you will not have USB2.0 speeds when launching apps via the HBC. However, if that same person had a ahbprot enabled forwarder channel that uses IOS58, that would still be able to launch apps with USB2.0 speeds (assuming IOS58 is installed, which means it woulda had to been installed after the last HBC update otherwise the HBC woulda installed itself to use IOS58 instead of 61)

Anyways, just install IOS58 and reinstall the HBC, problem solved
biggrin.gif
Just to add to what you said, if you aren't using IOS58, it falls back to USB 1.0.

I hate that so many apps stopped supporting 202, since it is so much faster than IOS58. I like how MPlayer CE sticks with 202, but uses IOS58/61 if 202 doesn't exist. In a way I wish that IOS58's USB2.0 support had never been discovered.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Myschi said:
Is it possible to somehow connect the Wii to your computer (and therefore an internal harddrive) in order to run ROMs and whatnot from the Homebrew Channel?

1. loading via net:
the HBC supports loading via network but this has to be initiated form the pc not the Wii unfortunately (search wiiload)
other programs support loading there respective files via net too

2. access to real or emulated PC harddrive:

a usb device controller (really hard to get in small quantities apparently)
then its done easily (at least in linux, dont know about windows)

there was some modchip that was connected to a pc too
don’t remember its name ("sundriver"?)
but that wont help you with HBC

last thing that comes to my mind are sdcards which read there contents via wifi
seen multiple brand but don’t remember there names either ("infinity drive"?)

FireFreek

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried to install Brawl- with this guide: http://www.smashmods.com/forum/page/bminstall.html
But when trying to load my disc(original) gecko os told me "No DVD Found" or something like that. I have a cios installed, i can't remember what, it was rev 20. I usually run my games off my hard drive though, so if it's possible and easier to set it up using my USB backup of brawl, could someone tell me how?

EDIT: OK after some more messing around, I found out that my wii just can't read the brawl disc. I'm guessing its something to do with that whole dual layer trouble. So I'm guessing figuring out how to load Brawl- with a usb loader is the only way. Anyone know how?

jonthedit

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
I have a question, which I DID post a thread... because I thought this thread was closed... Apparently not.

Anyway, What's the difference between a D3-2 and a D4?

Spongeroberto

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Bhutan
Having a (softmodded) PAL wii, is it safe to make a backup of an NTSC version of a game? I know it will work, but I'm worried that maybe the game speed will be a bit wrong (framerate?)

Of some games, however, buying an NTSC version online is cheaper... so yea I'm curious if there is any downside.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Spongeroberto said:
Having a (softmodded) PAL wii, is it safe to make a backup of an NTSC version of a game? I know it will work, but I'm worried that maybe the game speed will be a bit wrong (framerate?)

Of some games, however, buying an NTSC version online is cheaper... so yea I'm curious if there is any downside.
As long as you force the video to whatever your TV is, it should be fine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: damn