Hacking NOOB PARADISE - ask away

canmore

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, I homebrewed my Wii with the 'modify any wii 4.2 and below - simplistic mod' guide on this site, and it's been working fine. But, we got 'Biggest Loser' for Christmas (original disc, UK Pal) and when we load it up the Wii wants to do a software update. How do we get around this? I didn't think this was possible as I'm already on 4.2, but perhaps I'm misunderstanding? Thanks!

eye123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My wii is 4.2 LU649 softmod with the 4.2 modify tutorial here

Do I have to download and Trucha patch IOS60, IOS53 and IOS70 tp play backups on my type of wii?

The DOP-IOS that came with the modify.zip is it setup just to work with the hack?

How would I use it to do the above if I need to?

eye123

hepburng

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi all,
I have a Wii (LA10), wiikey 1 with 1.9s, running 4.2E. I am trying to soft mod since i upgraded to 4.2E to play a legit copy of NSMB and now my backups no longer work (bad mistake i know).

I am following the guide on here however when i unzip the updatepal file to the SD card and try to run the boot.elf i can only see a ??? channel with the options move,copy or erase.

Can anyone help me out here as to what i have to do to be able to run the boot file and continue with the guide?

I have tried 2 different SD cards just incase one was faulty, have also tried FAT and FAT 32 formats.

Thanks for your time
hepburng.

jonathanjon

Trophies
XP
Country
i have a 4.1e wii no chipp.
i whant the usb loader to work could install it but get black screen.
followed the steps in trb whit downgrade ios and that but when i will install 38rev14 under 249 in the installer my wii remote turns off and i cant do any more.
I have looked to many many pages and nothing.

kind of noob anyway so this isent easy for me.
Hope for some help thanx..
JonathanJon

eye123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I basically have idea on what is going on now...

One more question though

The cIOSrev14 is "what I have now"

The cIOSrev15 is what I need for USB loading...for what I want to do

I found this reply here..Thanks Benjay

"create a folder called "cIOSrev14" in your "apps" folder on your SD.
Rename cIOS38_rev14.dol in boot.dol , and put it in the "cIOSrev14" folder.
Run HBC , now you should be able to launch it "

So I would make a folder for each one, and rename like above to switch back and forth through HBC

If I launch the rev15, will it go back to my rev14 on reboot?

Or do I have to launch what I want each time?

Thanks

P.S.

Where is the DONATE button?

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That's the installer. It INSTALLS it's matching cIOS rev over whatever rev you currently have. What you've got COMPLETELY wrong is that you need cIOS rev15 for USB loading. USB loading is supported in all versions since rev9.

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
zuron7 said:
JUst this one question.

I just want to know if we can install preloader on a wii with 4.2 and boot1 updated.

Yes, but install priiloader, not preloader

jonathanjon said:
i have a 4.1e wii no chipp.
i whant the usb loader to work could install it but get black screen.
followed the steps in trb whit downgrade ios and that but when i will install 38rev14 under 249 in the installer my wii remote turns off and i cant do any more.
I have looked to many many pages and nothing.

kind of noob anyway so this isent easy for me.
Hope for some help thanx..
JonathanJon

You need to select whatever IOS you downgraded in the cIOS installer

QUOTE(Patryc @ Jan 4 2010, 09:12 PM)
If I update to 4.2 via Nintendo can it overwrite my boot2?

Yes, but just reinstall bootmii with the latest hackmii installer

Rossman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I previously wrote this:

I've been burning games for my wii which has a wiikey and softmod. I accidentally upgraded to 4.2u, so I followed a guide to get the homebrew and everything working again, so I have cios installers and have used them before.

I tried burning Tiger Woods 2010, but my wii won't read the disc! I heard somewhere that it works with cios 10, what exactly is that, and is this true? Do I need a motion plus first? I wanted to test the game and see that the wii read the disc first before buying. The disc channel doesn't understand what the disc is. I've burnt it several times, and it's the only game so far that isn't working...

And I would like to add, I've been having the same problem with Final Fantasy Crystal Bearers, the disc channel doesn't read the discs. I considered it's because I'm using TDK discs, but I burnt another game on them and they're working properly. Is this purely a problem with my media, or should I be installing some other cios? Also, how do you find exactly which cios' you have installed on your wii?

eye123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks tattar8

So once I install rev15, there is no need to back and forth?

So i "get" the cIOS38_rev15.dol , rename it to boot.dol, put it in a "cIOSrev15" folder on SD, Launch from HBC

Then I can forget about it?

If this is right I will not need to ask anymore questions for awhile...xD

This is the best site!

eye123

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You don't really need rev15 in the first place! It just fixes DL support for disc-based games, but breaks a bunch of other stuff.

Posts merged

Rossman said:
I previously wrote this:

I've been burning games for my wii which has a wiikey and softmod. I accidentally upgraded to 4.2u, so I followed a guide to get the homebrew and everything working again, so I have cios installers and have used them before.

I tried burning Tiger Woods 2010, but my wii won't read the disc! I heard somewhere that it works with cios 10, what exactly is that, and is this true? Do I need a motion plus first? I wanted to test the game and see that the wii read the disc first before buying. The disc channel doesn't understand what the disc is. I've burnt it several times, and it's the only game so far that isn't working...

And I would like to add, I've been having the same problem with Final Fantasy Crystal Bearers, the disc channel doesn't read the discs. I considered it's because I'm using TDK discs, but I burnt another game on them and they're working properly. Is this purely a problem with my media, or should I be installing some other cios? Also, how do you find exactly which cios' you have installed on your wii?
cIOS rev10 is outdated, it should work with rev14.

Grawly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I have a 4.2 Launch Day Wii, and I'm wondering if it is possible to downgrade back to 3.2. Don't know what to say other than that, I've got Bannerbomb installed.

razorback78

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Rossman said:
How do I update cIOS rev 10 to rev 14? And how do I know exactly which one I have installed?
just run the installer for cIOS38rev14(249)...it will install over rev10. run signcheck or dop-ios to see what version of 249 you have.

kobun20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, n00b here. I'm stumped, and I need your wisdom. Here's a run-down of where I am.

I was running USB Loader GX from my Wii 3.2U HBC with cIOS38rev16 and it was working great. But I wanted to install some wads (which I have yet to do successfully), and figured I needed a backup to proboot system for protection. I installed a BootMii IOS to run from SD card (boot1 prevents me from yadda yadda boot2 install), and used that to back up my NAND. So far, so good.

I decided to go with a preloader 0.29 install to boot me to my HBC 1.0.6 (installed from HACKmii 0.6) in case of emergencies and overall convenience. At first I didn't know about the JODI problem, so I installed the regular preloader which I found was not loading HBC at all. So I got wise and found preloaderv0.29-jodi... but wasn't sure what to do with it since I already had preloader installed. I decided I'd just run install over with the new boot.dol and that would probably overwrite the correct path. Was that a bad idea? Now when preloader starts, I try to boot to HBC and I either get a black screen or a frozen HBC screen with graphical errors. But if I then load HBC from Sysmenu, then go back to preloader by exiting HBC, I can now load HBC from it just fine.

Why can't I get HBC to load from preloader's startup? If it always has to be run from System Menu first, then it's rather pointless for my purposes. I guess I could try to boot to a dol, but I don't know what to choose to boot to, and I'm afraid that the same loading problem with HBC will follow whatever else I try to boot from. Do I need to uninstall preloader and start over? If so, how do I do it and what do I need?

Oh and sometimes, preloader doesn't recognize my wiimote, other times it does. That strikes me as odd. Do I need to turn the Wii on with the Wiimote to get it to register, or is there a known bug related to this?

One more Q. Preloader at the bottom of the screen tells me "IOS v30 Systemmenu v289". I thought I was running 3.2U and v249 with my cIOS38rev16? What does it all mean? I can no longer go to my Wii System Data area in the System Menu to check, it just goes black and freezes. Are there multiple versions or did I change something vital on accident? The only hack I installed from Preloader was for region free channels (again, for the wads). Do the hacks have something to do with why my Wii's System Data page no longer functions? And what IOS should I choose when I use Wad Manager 1.4 to install wads? Does it make any difference?

Sorry if some of this has been covered before, I'm still searching the forums for answers. Please help me out!

Edit: Should I try my luck with this advice and upgrading to Sys menu 4.0 or will I have other problems if I bother? Will Waninkoko System 4.0 Updater get rid of preloader?

winb83

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Brand new Wii just bought this Christmas, not reading and backup copies but reading retail. are new Wiis not able to read backups? the disc drive just makes a bunch of noise when i put in a backup but not when i put in a retail.

TroyTheZombie

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
did you hack it fully? (follow the simplistic mod/xzxero guide)

what are you using to run the backups? (try neogamma)

If you did the above, chances are you may have the new D2-3 Drive, which is incapable of reading DVD-Rs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    Karma177 @ Karma177: do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea? trying to...