Hacking NOOB PARADISE - ask away

uimy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have some questions about DOP-IOS, is it safe to run DOP on every IOS on the system assuming you have a nand backup, to kind of clean up a wii? also can you mismatch IOS versions by accident and cause a brick with it?

pesaroso

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Quick question.. If one persons Wii gets bricked due to a failure in an ios-upgrade.. And he haven't installed BootMii to do a NAND backup..

Can one save this Wii? I can see on BootMii.org that the owner can take good working NAND-backups from a working Wii, and convert it to the broken one, making it possible to do a restore..

But since the guy with the broken Wii haven't installed BootMii, is he able to install it somehow, and then maybe use the fixed nand-file?

Cheers

hackedad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just tried xzxero's guide last night. I read through the entire noob guide and this one at least twice. Unfortunately, it didn't work for me. Actually it bricked me with the "system files have been corrupted". I was able to restore via bootmii (actually the 0.3? version where I had to use a hex editor to fix the backup files), so that saved my butt.
  • I used the online method
  • I already had bannerbomb, HBC and DVDx installed. I noticed last night (9/30/2009) The Hackmii installer (including HBC, Bootmii, and DVDx all had updates available). I did NOT use those updates, I stayed on my current versions.
  • I don't recall seeing any error messages or failures during any of the steps except as noted below:
I experienced problems at the following steps:
  • Step 4) 4.1 Updater - this file did not seem to be present on my SD card. It seems to be completely missing from the modoff.zip. [edit] Not sure wher I got my zip, but the one I used was called "modoff.zip" and I see now the ones linked here are called "modon.zip". The Modoff doesn't have the 4.1 updater whereas modon does. Regardless, not sure if that was the missing thing that made me brick or not?[/edit]
  • Step 5) Preloader: I was not able to enable any hacks. Gave me an error referencing no hacks available for my current system version. I assumed this was because Preloader was wanting 4.1 whereas to my understanding, I was only at 4.0 because of not doing step 4.
  • Step 8) MIOSpatcher - I skipped this step. I don't have any gamcube controllers or interest in those games, so I skipped it.
At this point, I was in the HBC and pressed home, then exit to system menu. That's when I got the "System files are corrupted" message and proceeded to use bootmii to get me back up and running. After that scare, I called it a night.

My wonderings:[*]Why is 4.1 updater missing from the modoff.zip (or do the instructions need some additional detail?)[*]Any ideas on what I might have done wrong to cause this?[*]Could the files on NUS somehow have been changed to not work properly for this guide?[*]How will the new HBC (with different title IDs etc) affect these mods and applications? Will each of these apps need modified to work properly with new HBC/Bootmii/DVDx/sys4.2? In other words - should I upgrade to the newest HBC/Bootmii, or should I wait?
Also, if it makes a difference, I'm starting from 3.4u with boot2v3 on my system.

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
hackedad said:
Just tried xzxero's guide last night. I read through the entire noob guide and this one at least twice. Unfortunately, it didn't work for me. Actually it bricked me with the "system files have been corrupted". I was able to restore via bootmii (actually the 0.3? version where I had to use a hex editor to fix the backup files), so that saved my butt.
  • I used the online method
  • I already had bannerbomb, HBC and DVDx installed. I noticed last night (9/30/2009) The Hackmii installer (including HBC, Bootmii, and DVDx all had updates available). I did NOT use those updates, I stayed on my current versions.
  • I don't recall seeing any error messages or failures during any of the steps except as noted below:
I experienced problems at the following steps:
  • Step 4) 4.1 Updater - this file did not seem to be present on my SD card. It seems to be completely missing from the modoff.zip. [edit] Not sure wher I got my zip, but the one I used was called "modoff.zip" and I see now the ones linked here are called "modon.zip". The Modoff doesn't have the 4.1 updater whereas modon does. Regardless, not sure if that was the missing thing that made me brick or not?[/edit]
  • Step 5) Preloader: I was not able to enable any hacks. Gave me an error referencing no hacks available for my current system version. I assumed this was because Preloader was wanting 4.1 whereas to my understanding, I was only at 4.0 because of not doing step 4.
  • Step 8) MIOSpatcher - I skipped this step. I don't have any gamcube controllers or interest in those games, so I skipped it.
At this point, I was in the HBC and pressed home, then exit to system menu. That's when I got the "System files are corrupted" message and proceeded to use bootmii to get me back up and running. After that scare, I called it a night.

My wonderings:[*]Why is 4.1 updater missing from the modoff.zip (or do the instructions need some additional detail?)[*]Any ideas on what I might have done wrong to cause this?[*]Could the files on NUS somehow have been changed to not work properly for this guide?[*]How will the new HBC (with different title IDs etc) affect these mods and applications? Will each of these apps need modified to work properly with new HBC/Bootmii/DVDx/sys4.2? In other words - should I upgrade to the newest HBC/Bootmii, or should I wait?Also, if it makes a difference, I'm starting from 3.4u with boot2v3 on my system.
just to clarify
smc.png

does not mean brick!

hackedad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xzxero said:
just to clarify
smc.png

does not mean brick!

Ok, my mistake then. It wouldn't boot to the system menu at all, so I just considered that a brick since I couldn't use the Wii normally. In the noob guide it says "Noob: I'm on 4.1 and just installed some sort of IOS60something.wad and it said my system menu was corrupt when I booted my system menu, so should I load up preloader and uninstall that wad with Wa*SLAPS Noob upside the head with a large trout*", so I assumed that's what "brick" meant.

As I said, I was able to recover with bootmii, so my wii is functional again.

For future knowledge, given this message was there some other approach I should have taken other than restoring via bootmii?

Thanks for your help!

hackedad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another question...not sure if it's been addressed before:

Seeing as in the bootmii backup it references a Console ID, could all these hacks be simplified for people making a NAND backup of their original state, then getting the NAND backup of a modified wii, editing the .bin files to insert the target Wii's console ID in place of the Source console's Console ID, then restore the modified backup via bootmii?

I, of course have no idea what other info in those .bin files is console specific and would need to be changed, but if this was possible, wouldn't it make modding a Wii more like a 15 minute process without each person needing to download all the installers, files, etc? Just a thought.

In other words:[*]Install HBC, Bootmii on unmodded wii[*]Make backup of this Wii[*]Obtain .bin files of a fully modded wii[*]Edit modded wii's bin files and overwrite Console ID of modded wii with the Console ID of the unmodded wii[*]restore the backup of the new, edited bin files to the unmodded wii

varsaljr

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, I'am new here!

Well, I'm 100% noob in this aspect, but I would indicate the topic to pirate software to give to play the games drawn on the Internet. I also wanted to know if we play these games from a CD or Memory Card ..

Sorry about this English, but I'm Portuguese and I do not know 100% english
tongue.gif

Even More!

vguy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had BootMii as boot2, which was then erased by the 4.2 upgrade. So I got the new HackMii installer and reinstalled BootMii as boot2. If I go to BootMii and use my old NAND backup, could I downgrade back to before 4.2 safely?

uimy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I just noticed preloader 0.29 couldn't load the homebrew channel, so I reinstalled homebrew channel 1.3 instead of the 1.5 I had installed before and it works great. If I do a update to 1.5 will it brake it again?

justmike

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I want to change my Wii Shop region to US. I'm on a PAL Wii 4.1E, is it safe to do so, if it is, what's the best method? I never bought anything from there, just like Nintendo Channel and stuff like that. Will it do anything? And can I change it back again?

Dharmaboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Here is what i am running
  • 4.0U Soft Modded with cIOS 249
  • Updated Hombrew to 1.5
  • Have preloader installed
  • custion Hermese 222/223 v4
  • USB Loader GX to 790 (newest version via the loaders update tool)
My question is simple - After updating my HBC to 1.5, I cant access it through Pre-loader BUT it still works through HBC Channel and USB Loader GX Channel still works fine.

Not urgent but would be nice to have. What can I do to get it back to be able to load HBC from PReloader?

Thanks

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Dharmaboy said:
  • Updated Hombrew to 1.5
My question is simple - After updating my HBC to 1.5, I cant access it through Pre-loader BUT it still works through HBC Channel and USB Loader GX Channel still works fine.

Not urgent but would be nice to have. What can I do to get it back to be able to load HBC from PReloader?

Thanks
The simple explanation is that the HBC is now stored on another place (as 4.2 removes the other one)
I believe giantpune placed a fix for it somewhere

Very good post btw, stating what you have and what you need. Perfect
smile.gif

edit: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=182751 there you go

uimy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dharmaboy said:
  • Updated Hombrew to 1.5

Thanks

I'd like to know this as well...

Wangus8

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys. I'm trying to install the homebrew and have been following xzxero's amazing guide to the letter. But when I go to the SD card portion of my data management, there is no option to install/run the boot. I have tried putting the SD card in before and after starting the wii.

Specs:

I own an NTSC-J wii (but live in the USA and unfortunately don't know any japanese); it was a gift from my cousin when she went to japan. It IS modded, but my earlier tests made me suspect it's a clone wii-key (doesn't seem to be able to be upgraded with wiikey firmware).

I'm running version 3.2J courtesy of the ntsc-j smash brothers (I think), though I was never able to actually play the backup of that cd if I recall correctly.

The SD card was a brand new one, Sandisk 1GB.

Um... that's about all I can think of. Help is appreciated.

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wangus8 said:
Hey guys. I'm trying to install the homebrew and have been following xzxero's amazing guide to the letter. But when I go to the SD card portion of my data management, there is no option to install/run the boot. I have tried putting the SD card in before and after starting the wii.

Specs:

I own an NTSC-J wii (but live in the USA and unfortunately don't know any japanese); it was a gift from my cousin when she went to japan. It IS modded, but my earlier tests made me suspect it's a clone wii-key (doesn't seem to be able to be upgraded with wiikey firmware).

I'm running version 3.2J courtesy of the ntsc-j smash brothers (I think), though I was never able to actually play the backup of that cd if I recall correctly.

The SD card was a brand new one, Sandisk 1GB.

Um... that's about all I can think of. Help is appreciated.
is your card sdhc?
3.2 does not support sdhc.

Wangus8

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xzxero said:
is your card sdhc?
3.2 does not support sdhc.

I don't believe so (at least it doesn't have SDHC on the card like most sdhc cards I've seen do). Not 100% certain, but I don't think SDHC cards are ever made as small as 1gb either.

Please let me know any other information I can provide!

Btw, I am trying the 4.1 offline way with using v448 instead of 449 because of my Jwii.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: impossible thing accomplished today lol