Hacking NOOB PARADISE - ask away

Blady-kun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
nabster92 said:
Pretty much all IOS's have some game or another that uses it. The other cases are IOS's like IOS30/31, 50/51, and 60/61. IOS30 is what system menu 3.2 runs off of, 50 is for 3.4, and 60 is for 4.0/4.1 the ones after them are what the shop channel used when those system menus were the latest respectively. So now the shop channel uses IOS61 and 51 is obsolete. Similarly the most recent IOS30 and IOS50 are stub IOS's so if you have one of those stub IOS's and install a system menu that runs off of it you will be bricked. That's why anyone who was on 4.0 and downgraded to 3.2 for any dumb reason and then even dumber decided to do a disc update of any relatively recent game that has a 3.4 update on it gets unrecoverably bricked.

dop-IOS also tells you a brief description of what most IOS's are used for, but those are really brief not complete at all descriptions. So anyways you shouldn't need to bother updating those stub IOS's and when you install the most recent IOS60, if you patch the sig hash check into that as well, that will allow you to play installed vc/wiiware wads from the sd card menu as well. (normally only legit channels will work with it). And if you haven't used the trucha bug restorer before, you can also patch the sig hash check and ES_Identify patch to IOS36 as well.

If you want to know more about IOS's or any other applications frequently used today, read through the guide in my sig.

Back again, tried the dop-IOSv7 and after updating most of the IOS you mentioned i tried playing muramasaNTSC. The result was the same, it keeps popping out the same message "the disk could not be read"etc...
Do you maybe have any other ideas? If you need more info about it plz tell me about it. I updated IOS 38,53,55,57 and 60 and patched them with the trucha bug...any other ideas would be much appreciated...

gotchapt

Trophies
XP
Country
gotchapt said:
nabster92 said:
Then when you update, just make sure you have IOS60 installed first, and then make sure the 4.1 system menu wad is the correct region and everything.

This IOS60 is in the 18.cios60.wad right?

In this step 10) Run cIOS36_rev10-Installer and choose WAD Installation, i have cios38rev14, do i have to run cios36?

ok I've updated to SM4.1E, but I reinstalled preloader and it is not booting :S Also, is it normal that my wii bricks when trying to read the sd card, in that new sd card menu?

thanks in advance.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
gotchapt said:
nabster92 said:
Then when you update, just make sure you have IOS60 installed first, and then make sure the 4.1 system menu wad is the correct region and everything.

This IOS60 is in the 18.cios60.wad right?

In this step 10) Run cIOS36_rev10-Installer and choose WAD Installation, i have cios38rev14, do i have to run cios36?

Ah you're following the ultimate guide. No you don't need to install rev10, and refer to them like that, not cios36/cios38. There are multiple cIOS based off of IOS36 and IOS38, but there's only one rev10/rev14 and such.

Yea that IOS60 is a patched IOS60 that should work fine.

Blady-kun said:
Back again, tried the dop-IOSv7 and after updating most of the IOS you mentioned i tried playing muramasaNTSC. The result was the same, it keeps popping out the same message "the disk could not be read"etc...
Do you maybe have any other ideas? If you need more info about it plz tell me about it. I updated IOS 38,53,55,57 and 60 and patched them with the trucha bug...any other ideas would be much appreciated...

This is from loading through NeoGamma R7? "the disk could not be read" sounds more like a disc channel message that comes up, that SHOULD come up if you're ever trying to load a backup game through it.

QUOTE(gotchapt @ Sep 7 2009, 07:07 AM)
ok I've updated to SM4.1E, but I reinstalled preloader and it is not booting :S Also, is it normal that my wii bricks when trying to read the sd card, in that new sd card menu?

thanks in advance.

By bricks, do you mean freezes? If so, that would be due to having bannerbomb still on your sd card, you have to delete the aktn folder which should be found in:
SD:\private\wii\title\aktn

and do you mean preloader isn't booting after reinstalling it or your system menu? Did you try holding reset while booting?

knuj_on

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This post is in this section because I feel like one but after a week of searching the site I am no closer to my answers, so here are my questions.

1) Is there any way to force the Wii to format a Gamecube memory card ? (posts say "use the official Nintendo formater" but the format menu in the Wii only seems to come up if the card is corrupt)

2) Where do I start looking for the Gamecube & Wii homebrew toolsets & memory maps ? (I have just finished a project on an embeded PPC using software to allow legacy executables using memory mapped devices that are not present in the newer hardware, to run, purely with software. To run gamecube games from the hard drive the first step would be to make a Wii mode environment capable of running gamecube code, rather that put the hardware in gamecube mode, so I wondered if I could apply the same techniques as my work project to the problem. The overheads of these techniques mean the code will probably run at 50% to 25% of native Wii code so a processor speed decrease would probably not be necessary)

Blady-kun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
nabster92 said:
Blady-kun said:

This is from loading through NeoGamma R7? "the disk could not be read" sounds more like a disc channel message that comes up, that SHOULD come up if you're ever trying to load a backup game through it

well now...it seems i have the "stupid"....after many attempts in vain i had the idea of writing on 3x rather than 4x...now everything seems to run smoothly though i cant be 100% sure yet, not till i try some more games to verify it. thanks again nabster for your patience and excuse my stupidity on the matter
tongue.gif
will post the results tomorrow

chewbaka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm about to buy a DSLite flashcard. My doubts are:

1.My DS was bought in Europe, does it interfers anyhow with the flashcard? Should I buy an European version of the flashcard?
2.There are firmware updates for DSLite, like there are for DSi (blocking flashcards, etc...)?

Thank You!

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
chewbaka said:

1.My DS was bought in Europe, does it interfers anyhow with the flashcard? Should I buy an European version of the flashcard?
2.There are firmware updates for DSLite, like there are for DSi (blocking flashcards, etc...)?

Thank You!

Totally wrong forum dude. this is the Wii hacking forum.

Try one of these forums: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showforum=37

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
chewbaka said:

Thank You!
1. No DSlite is region free
2. No

Use the ds board next time

gotchapt

Trophies
XP
Country
nabster92 said:
By bricks, do you mean freezes? If so, that would be due to having bannerbomb still on your sd card, you have to delete the aktn folder which should be found in:
SD:\private\wii\title\aktn

and do you mean preloader isn't booting after reinstalling it or your system menu? Did you try holding reset while booting?

yes I meant freezes, sorry. ok that's resolved now.

you can see my problem here http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=178317

thanks

lipase

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I have my Wii on 4.0U, and I used to have cIOS rev13b and Neogamma r4. With it, I could play any games I had. But to play Sports Resort, I installed cIOS rev14 and Neogamma r6. Now I can play the Sports Resort, but for all my other games (tiger woods 2010, mario galaxy, mario kart, among others) I´m having error 001. Does anyone know what´s going on?

Thank you for your answers

GraniteHammer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question about backing up my NAND after installing BootMii as boot2...

I copied all my files from the SD card after installing bootmii as boot2 and backing up my NAND, then I formatted another SD card to FAT32 and copied the files over. BootMii didn't load. What I want to know is if it's possible to copy the files onto a PC and then back to an SD card and still have it work? I just want security for bootmii and NAND in case the original SD card gets corrupted.

BootMii loads on startup from the original SD card, but not on a copy. Anything I can do?

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
GraniteHammer said:

I copied all my files from the SD card after installing bootmii as boot2 and backing up my NAND, then I formatted another SD card to FAT32 and copied the files over. BootMii didn't load. What I want to know is if it's possible to copy the files onto a PC and then back to an SD card and still have it work? I just want security for bootmii and NAND in case the original SD card gets corrupted.

BootMii loads on startup from the original SD card, but not on a copy. Anything I can do?

There are a lot of SD cards that are just incompatible with bootmii, if you copied the bootmii folder with it's three files in it onto another SD card and it didn't load on one card, when it does on another, that first card is just not compatible with bootmii or it isn't formatted properly. If you didn't format it with the Panasonic SD card formatter tool, you should try using that and putting the files back on it again.

If you have the nand backup backed up to your PC, you should be able to get back to bootmii and restore it in any case as long as you can get a hold of a working compatible SD card to put the files back on it.

GraniteHammer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nabster92 said:
GraniteHammer said:

There are a lot of SD cards that are just incompatible with bootmii, if you copied the bootmii folder with it's three files in it onto another SD card and it didn't load on one card, when it does on another, that first card is just not compatible with bootmii or it isn't formatted properly. If you didn't format it with the Panasonic SD card formatter tool, you should try using that and putting the files back on it again.

If you have the nand backup backed up to your PC, you should be able to get back to bootmii and restore it in any case as long as you can get a hold of a working compatible SD card to put the files back on it.

I should've clarified in my first post--The second card is definitely compatible, as if I load the boot.elf tool from it and use HackMii to prepare an SD card, it also works with BootMii, but it won't work if I then reformat it on Windows and copy the files back to it. So it looks like it's a problem with Windows not writing the data the same way the Wii does.

Also, the files are stored on a FAT32 partition on Windows, so they shouldn't ever have been converted to NTFS, in case that causes a problem...

Thanks for helping!

Edit: I'm searching for the Panasonic tool now, to see if that fixes the problem.

Edit2: Panasonic SD Formatter tool didn't help; I still get the two quick blue flashes when trying to start up the Wii with the copied card inserted.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
GraniteHammer said:
nabster92 said:
GraniteHammer said:

I should've clarified in my first post--The second card is definitely compatible, as if I load the boot.elf tool from it and use HackMii to prepare an SD card, it also works with BootMii, but it won't work if I then reformat it on Windows and copy the files back to it. So it looks like it's a problem with Windows not writing the data the same way the Wii does.

Also, the files are stored on a FAT32 partition on Windows, so they shouldn't ever have been converted to NTFS, in case that causes a problem...

Thanks for helping!

Edit: I'm searching for the Panasonic tool now, to see if that fixes the problem.

Edit2: Panasonic SD Formatter tool didn't help; I still get the two quick blue flashes when trying to start up the Wii with the copied card inserted.

I haven't had any problems storing the files on NTFS and putting them back on a card and having it work, but if you can get the card to work by having the hackmii installer itself prepare an SD card on it, why can't you just stick with that? You don't have to remove the bootmii files from your card for it to not come up anymore or something. You can have that prepare an SD card, then use the bootmii configuration editor to set it to autoboot after however many seconds you want to the system menu or the HBC.

Then if for any reason you do need to reformat the card or something, just don't do it while the Wii is bricked, and you should still be able to prepare it again with the hackmii installer if need be.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Fatboy12345236 said:
So. What program do I use to format the portion to what Wii uses? (I forgot what It's called).

Are you talking about USB loading? If you are, then you can format your drive to WBFS with the WBFS manager through windows or the actual USB loader application you want to use itself.

Keep in mind that it will format the whole drive or a whole partition of it if you split it into one. So any data you have on it would be lost and nothing but Wii games can go on it when it's formatted to WBFS.

So if you have any data on the drive that isn't already on a separate partition than the one you want to use for your Wii, make sure to back it up first.

jonm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm trying to use "USB Loader Channel (Ultimate v7)by Ruud91", it's the first USBLoader I've used and it runs ok but it keeps returning an error:

"COULD NOT INITIALIZE USB SUBSYSTEM (ret-6)"

is this the same as the (ret-1) error (wont recognise USB HDD)?

I've formated the drive using WBFS Manager 3.0 and loaded my discs on no problem using my PC.

Drive is a 60GB Fujitsu 2.5" IDE Laptop HDD with a generic IDE caddy I borrowed from work.

goffboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hi guys/gals,

Hope we're all well.

So, I softmodded my Wii around Christmas '08, all good. I think I used The Wii Softmod for Dummies Guide if it makes a difference. I'm using GammaLoader, I can't remember offhand but I'll check if the answers to my later question will need me too. Ditto System Menu version. I've downloaded a couple of games, all's been good (Guitar Hero: Metallica being the last, an NTSC iso on a PAL Wii I believe).

Anywoo, now I'd like to play Guitar Hero 5, who wouldn't right? So off I go to find an ISO and I find loads of shit about needing various updates and stuff to get it running. I'm sure I remember that with GH:M but I did diddly squat and it works! So, do I need to do any updating or will it work (I'm guessing yes and no respectively).
Secondly to that, can someone help me update. There are a couple of things I need to know:

1) I have homebrew channel and stuff, so do I need to get my Wii back to virgin state or can I run with what I've got? If I need to get it back to the way Nintendo wants there are subquestions:
a) how do I do that, is it just by doing a proper Nintendo update?
b) is there any chance I can fuck up my Wii (keeping in mind I'm not a moron and I've softmodded once, in the days when this seemed less complicated!)
2) Can someone point me to all the guides I'll need to get GH5 running off a burnt DVD please? There are lots of guides to what seems to be quite similar things!

Of course, if I'm good to go with what I've got then wayhay!

thanks

gb x

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
jonm said:
I'm trying to use "USB Loader Channel (Ultimate v7)by Ruud91", it's the first USBLoader I've used and it runs ok but it keeps returning an error:

"COULD NOT INITIALIZE USB SUBSYSTEM (ret-6)"

is this the same as the (ret-1) error (wont recognise USB HDD)?

I've formated the drive using WBFS Manager 3.0 and loaded my discs on no problem using my PC.

Drive is a 60GB Fujitsu 2.5" IDE Laptop HDD with a generic IDE caddy I borrowed from work.

Did you try both USB ports on the Wii? If you are using cIOS rev14, the drive needs to be plugged into the port closer to the edge of the Wii.

QUOTE(goffboy @ Sep 9 2009, 11:37 AM) Hi guys/gals,

Hope we're all well.

So, I softmodded my Wii around Christmas '08, all good. I think I used The Wii Softmod for Dummies Guide if it makes a difference. I'm using GammaLoader, I can't remember offhand but I'll check if the answers to my later question will need me too. Ditto System Menu version. I've downloaded a couple of games, all's been good (Guitar Hero: Metallica being the last, an NTSC iso on a PAL Wii I believe).

Anywoo, now I'd like to play Guitar Hero 5, who wouldn't right? So off I go to find an ISO and I find loads of shit about needing various updates and stuff to get it running. I'm sure I remember that with GH:M but I did diddly squat and it works! So, do I need to do any updating or will it work (I'm guessing yes and no respectively).
Secondly to that, can someone help me update. There are a couple of things I need to know:

1) I have homebrew channel and stuff, so do I need to get my Wii back to virgin state or can I run with what I've got? If I need to get it back to the way Nintendo wants there are subquestions:
a) how do I do that, is it just by doing a proper Nintendo update?
b) is there any chance I can fuck up my Wii (keeping in mind I'm not a moron and I've softmodded once, in the days when this seemed less complicated!)
2) Can someone point me to all the guides I'll need to get GH5 running off a burnt DVD please? There are lots of guides to what seems to be quite similar things!

Of course, if I'm good to go with what I've got then wayhay!

thanks

gb x

You don't need to get rid of everything to update. Everything pretty much installs over everything.

You can run the hackmii installer to update your HBC and install bootmii (to boot2 if possible, and if so, use it to make a NAND backup of your Wii).

Then you could update your cIOS by running the cIOS rev14 installer and having it use IOS249 (since you should have an older revision already)

Then you can update to 4.1 if you want to by using Waninkoko's 4.0 updater then the 4.1 updater.

Then you can use dop-IOS to install IOS60 again with the sig hash check patched in so that you can play installed wad's from the SD card menu if you want.

Then, you can optionally install preloader after that (isn't necessary, but recommended if you couldn't install bootmii to boot2, still has it's uses even if you could).

Then you can delete your old gamma loader and install NeoGamma R7 instead.

As for GH5, try looking through this thread for what else you may need: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=176428

And regarding chances of fucking your Wii up, if you are able to install bootmii to boot2 and use it to make a NAND backup of your Wii, pretty much nothing you do short of uninstalling it and then doing something even dumber will brick your Wii. (Your Wii needs to be older than about mid 2008ish.)

Read through the guide in my sig if you want to know anymore about the applications and such I told you to use. You shouldn't need to use the Trucha Bug Restorer because you already have it, and you can run the hackmii installer through the HBC instead of bannerbomb.

chunky

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
hi hope someone can help. I think and hope i got a bargain i bought a wii the other day from a carboot sale, When i power it up its just a black screen i tried holding the reset button no luck it also takes disks and ejects them so am just left with a green light or red when on standby. The seller said it was working one day then stopped it came with the wires power pack and controller.

I would love to get it working is there any hope

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: what's the fanfic name?