Hacking NOOB PARADISE - ask away

dremond

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
smileipb2.png

This is my first post, apologies for the following newbie question:

I've read that you shouldn't uninstall any IOSes, but its ok to downgrade them? To install the TBug?
unsure.gif

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
dremond said:
smileipb2.png

This is my first post, apologies for the following newbie question:

I've read that you shouldn't uninstall any IOSes, but its ok to downgrade them? To install the TBug?
unsure.gif

Older Wii's CAN downgrade IOS's fine, but if you bought your Wii recently the ONLY way you should downgrade an IOS is by downgrading IOS15 with the Trucha Bug Restorer and then using that in the Trucha Bug Restorer to install an IOS36 with the trucha bug, and then have the trucha bug restorer restore that IOS15 back to normal afterwards. Doing anything else to downgrade an IOS like comex's IOS35 downgrade on newer Wii's will cause whatever IOS you downgrade to pretty much die. Downgrading the entire system menu will brick these Wii's

It's best to just use the TBR on ANY Wii now whether it is new or old just to be safe because there's no real reason to do any other method over the Trucha Bug Restorer anymore. It work's on any Wii that needs the Trucha Bug Restored, no complications. If your system is already on 3.2 or lower, you have the Trucha Bug on every IOS already and don't need to use it, anything higher and you should use it.

Read through the section on the Trucha Bug in the guide in my sig to understand more about what different methods there was to get the trucha bug and what doesn't work anymore on what Wii's and why.

And while you're there you can just read through everything, and there shouldn't be anymore confusion about what you need to do on your system at all. If you read through everything and there is, post in that thread.

dremond

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im back with another newbie question.. or three..
laugh.gif

Just gone through the "Fully Softmod Any Wii" Guide by Deviyl. (Great guide btw, thanks) With a lot of reference to "Noob Starter Guide" (another really helpful guide thanks!).

Now.. Ive got to the point where I've installed everything, except the neogamma loader - I want to stay clear from WAD's as they sound like a high chance to get bricked.. :S

Anyho my nabby questions:

Preloader.. I have all these hacks, which ones should i enable to help prevent myself from being bricked? I would like maximum security (without bootmii on boot2, since ive got a new wii i'm trying to be extra cautious). Are there any hacks in preloader that could get me bricked?

Now by using these guides, and aquiring some iso's of games could i still be bricked by playing them with neogamma usb loader? If so. how can i prevent it? I heard you need to patch isos to stop them from updating your wii.

Also, if something asks to update and you say NO will you be bricked?

Edit: Gah! Just found out that you need a wad manager to play wiiware, i thought they would be in iso format. eep! Too wad or not too wad, is it possible to get such a bad brick from using wads that preloader and a nand backup wouldnt save me?

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
dremond said:
Im back with another newbie question.. or three..
laugh.gif

Just gone through the "Fully Softmod Any Wii" Guide by Deviyl. (Great guide btw, thanks) With a lot of reference to "Noob Starter Guide" (another really helpful guide thanks!).

Now.. Ive got to the point where I've installed everything, except the neogamma loader - I want to stay clear from WAD's as they sound like a high chance to get bricked.. :S

Anyho my nabby questions:

Preloader.. I have all these hacks, which ones should i enable to help prevent myself from being bricked? I would like maximum security (without bootmii on boot2, since ive got a new wii i'm trying to be extra cautious). Are there any hacks in preloader that could get me bricked?

Now by using these guides, and aquiring some iso's of games could i still be bricked by playing them with neogamma usb loader? If so. how can i prevent it? I heard you need to patch isos to stop them from updating your wii.

Also, if something asks to update and you say NO will you be bricked?

Edit: Gah! Just found out that you need a wad manager to play wiiware, i thought they would be in iso format. eep! Too wad or not too wad, is it possible to get such a bad brick from using wads that preloader and a nand backup wouldnt save me?

The main useful hack for brick protection is the skip disc update hack in preloader.

If you aren't loading a game through the disc channel, it can't prompt you for an update anyways. In order to have a game update your Wii, you have to physically click on the wii system update that will pop up if you try to play the game through the disc channel. If you enable the skip update check hack, you don't even have to worry about "accidentally" clicking it to update.

Playing games will likely not brick you at all, especially through backup/usb loaders.

As long as you have preloader installed fine, wad's are pretty safe to install. You still should be wary of your sources though and don't just get random ones off rapidshare or something like that. A wad will generally only brick you if it has a badly formed banner which happens to be the case more often when you are trying to form your own wad's through wadder or something. (Or if you find an intentionally bad one from some shady source).

In the off chance you do install a bad wad, when you load your system menu it will say it's corrupt, in which case you would hold reset down instead to boot preloader, then boot wad manager through the HBC (or directly as a file if the HBC stopped working for any reason) then just uninstall the bad wad you installed.
DO NOT DO THIS FOR IOS WAD'S HOWEVER. You should not really be bothering with any IOS or system menu wad's to begin with though.

The nand backup you have won't really do anything for you if you only have the IOS version installed. There is really not any good situation where you should attempt to restore it with only the IOS version at all. Chances are if you are able to use preloader to get to the HBC and load the IOS version of bootmii at all, you can do something else to fix your Wii with a lot less of a chance to brick your Wii harder than anything else could.

dremond

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Phew, thats set my mind at rest thanks. I'll be giving Neogamma and wad manager a go tonight!

I'll just stick to the usb loader and wiiware games, from what you say should be rather safe.

Thanks for the help mate, really useful.

D

Deleted User

I'm currently on 3.1 and wish to upgrade to 4.1. What steps do you suggest I take? I have done the following:

Installed Bootmii onto boot2
Installed Waninkoko's 249 IOS
Installed Waninkoko's c36 IOS

What else should I do? Would I lose any functionality if I upgraded now? I am not interested in running back up games by disc.

Thanks for any help.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
HDW said:
I'm currently on 3.1 and wish to upgrade to 4.1. What steps do you suggest I take? I have done the following:

Installed Bootmii onto boot2
Installed Waninkoko's 249 IOS
Installed Waninkoko's c36 IOS

What else should I do? Would I lose any functionality if I upgraded now? I am not interested in running back up games by disc.

Thanks for any help.

You're confused as to what these are. When you see one of Waninkoko's cIOS, it's generally labeled something like cIOS36 rev10 or cIOS38 rev14. What this means is that it's a custom IOS based off of the official IOS36 or IOS38 and modified with the 10th/14th revision of the dip module. Any of these cIOS's from Waninkoko are installed to IOS249. The most recent cIOS is cIOS38 rev14. You should run that installer and have it use IOS249 to install (or any other 2 digit IOS since you're on 3.1, it just needs one with the Trucha Bug.) That will install rev14 over whatever other revision of Waninkoko's cIOS you have installed.

Anyways, if you have bootmii installed to boot2 and haven't made a NAND backup with it yet, do so now. That way you will have a figurative "back" button if you do mess up at any point in time.

Then if you want to update, you can run Waninkoko's 4.0 updater and then his 4.1 updater. You should not lose anything in doing so.

What DO you use homebrew for btw?

bug

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's been awhile since I used my Wii, and all this softmodding and loaders stuff makes me feel like a noob again.

I have 3.1E and want to update to play Beatles Rock Band. I've read through nabster92's great guide, and I have HBC installed, bootmii installed, and a NAND backup (there were some bad factory blocks, but I got a 528MB nand.bin and a small keys.bin).

Can I just do an official Nintendo update to allow me to play Beatles? Is there any reason I have to install cios and use waninkoko's 4.0 updater?

edited to add: I have a Wiikey with 1.9s.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
bug said:
It's been awhile since I used my Wii, and all this softmodding and loaders stuff makes me feel like a noob again.

I have 3.1E and want to update to play Beatles Rock Band. I've read through nabster92's great guide, and I have HBC installed, bootmii installed, and a NAND backup (there were some bad factory blocks, but I got a 528MB nand.bin and a small keys.bin).

Can I just do an official Nintendo update to allow me to play Beatles? Is there any reason I have to install cios and use waninkoko's 4.0 updater?

edited to add: I have a Wiikey with 1.9s.

Not sure if updating your system will make your modchip stop working or not. If it does stop working you would either have to see if you can update your wiikey/get a newer one, or start using softmod's instead which would require a cIOS to be installed.

Also, if you officiall update, you will lose the trucha bug in everything and will no longer be able to install wad's unless you install a cIOS first. Then after you update you would be able to use IOS249 to install wad's.

What you could try is just installing a cIOS now, so you can use dop-IOSv7 and try updating your IOS's to the most recent official ones (don't touch IOS30 or 50 or any other stubs at all though), then you can see if rock band beatles works after that.

Also, if you do have bootmii installed to boot2, I suppose you can just try and go ahead and do whatever, and if something doesn't work to your liking you can restore that nand backup to go back to how it is now. (Don't do this if it's only the IOS version though.)

But if you used the beta 0.3 installer (most recent hackmii installer) to install bootmii, I believe there is some problem with the backups that will not let it restore, saying it's from another Wii. The backup is still technically legit, but it needs some tweaking of the keys for bootmii to be able to read it. I think they might have released a ppcboot.elf that you can replace the one in the bootmii folder with that fixes the problem, but not 100% sure if that works/if it was put in the actual installer now. So you may want to just like install some vc wad or something and then try to do a nand restore right now to see what it says and if it says it can't restore, try looking for that updated ppcboot.elf to swap yours with and make a new backup.

bug

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
nabster92 said:
What you could try is just installing a cIOS now, so you can use dop-IOSv7 and try updating your IOS's to the most recent official ones (don't touch IOS30 or 50 or any other stubs at all though), then you can see if rock band beatles works after that.

Thanks nabster. I won't take the risk of the official update and I'll do some searching on the bootmii update.

So it is possible to update the IOSs without updating my System Menu? Then please tell me if this is correct: Use CIOS_Patchmii_Installer to install a trucha IOS 249, and then use dop-IOSv7 to install new IOSs.

How do I know which new IOSs to install? You say not to touch any stubs, is this obvious when using dop-IOS?

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Whoops, my reply window looked like the internet died or something while it was posting so i thought it didn't post...I'll edit this in a bit

bug said:
nabster92 said:

Thanks nabster. I won't take the risk of the official update and I'll do some searching on the bootmii update.

So it is possible to update the IOSs without updating my System Menu? Then please tell me if this is correct: Use CIOS_Patchmii_Installer to install a trucha IOS 249, and then use dop-IOSv7 to install new IOSs.

How do I know which new IOSs to install? You say not to touch any stubs, is this obvious when using dop-IOS?

Yea you can update your IOS's without updating the system menu, but you can use Waninkoko's actual cIOS instead of that patchmii one. You would just run the cIOS rev14 installer and have it use any 2 digit IOS like 36 or 38 when it prompts because you're on 3.1 and everything should have the trucha bug.

As for dop-IOS, Not touching IOS30 would be the important one because 3.1/3.2 run off of that, so updating that to a stub IOS would brick you, other than that, you shouldn't need to bother with ones below that either or IOS50 and 51. Pretty much everything else should be fine updating, but you can skip patching the sig hash check in them if you want (unless you want the trucha bug in all of those IOS's) it's not really needed to have in other IOS's, but the only possibly useful ones there are are like IOS36 where you can patch the sig hash check and ES_Identify for some applications that use it. IOS60 is the other useful one, but since you're not updating your system menu that doesn't do much use for you to patch it.

bug

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks again mate. I've read the GH5 and Beatles require IOS56, so I think I'll just start with that.

Last question: is there any advantage using AnyRegion Changer to update from 3.1 to 3.2, or should I just stay on 3.1?

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
bug said:
Thanks again mate. I've read the GH5 and Beatles require IOS56, so I think I'll just start with that.

Last question: is there any advantage using AnyRegion Changer to update from 3.1 to 3.2, or should I just stay on 3.1?

I think 3.2 has a bit more compatibility with more homebrew applications like preloader and such, so you would be able to get that and use a 3.2E or U hacks.ini or whatever your region is.

Make sure you pick everything in the correct region when you use it though. Also I don't think dop-IOS will update your IOS56 to the one on the GH5 disc. I don't think the current NUSD even has that up. You would have to get the IOS file off of the disc itself to install that or google the correct wad version which should be posted in one of those GH5 threads or something (the version of the IOS, not the wad itself.)

shimoto

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a query! I have 3.2U and I do not know what kind of things I've already installed on my wii. Well I can name a few stuff like Homebrew Channel, some backup loaders, wad installer and the such. Now onto the main point of my question. I want to apply the "Rock Band DLC hack" and I was wondering how to get it work. Because everytime I go to the shop it tells me to upgrade. What do I have to do? Do I really have to upgrade and lose every hack I have? (including the certain things I installed to make Monster Hunter Tri work) Or is there something that can help me to override the said needed upgrade to enter the wii shop? Oh and I run Rock Band 2 on a backup and use softchip loader if it makes any difference. I do have a legit copy but I seem to have misplaced it. Thanks for whoever answers this query of mine. OH! One more thing, if you can explain in a couple of sentences how to basically install the DLC hack (Since I downloaded the necessary files already) Please do mention it too.
smile.gif
Thanks!

palkiake

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Ive had my wii "patched" (or w/e you call it) today and i was wondering if metroid prime 3: corruption or metroid prime triology are working on it?

aeorsmith

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Good Evening,
I did the twilight hack some time ago early 2009 and got the gama update i believe. and im currently sitting at 3.3u i believe, im just starting to get back into gaming and when i try certain games like Punch out, I get error 002

I know i guess i need to update certain stuff, but im not sure where to start
smile.gif
i should have keeped up to date on what to do,

Can anyone help me as to what i need for this step going forward to update my system to most recent modded files to ensure i can play some newer games ?
smile.gif

Thanks for your time.

Kyoton

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
im trying to play a game using the neogamma backup loader and i keep getting error codes 1101 and 1269
i burned an iso of a wii game to a dvd-r at 2x speed any suggestions?

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
aeorsmith said:
Good Evening,
I did the twilight hack some time ago early 2009 and got the gama update i believe. and im currently sitting at 3.3u i believe, im just starting to get back into gaming and when i try certain games like Punch out, I get error 002

I know i guess i need to update certain stuff, but im not sure where to start
smile.gif
i should have keeped up to date on what to do,

Can anyone help me as to what i need for this step going forward to update my system to most recent modded files to ensure i can play some newer games ?
smile.gif

Thanks for your time.

Follow this guide

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=171901

Since you already have HBC installed just skip the parts about installing it with bannerbomb

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Ds is 20 years old this year