Hacking NOOB PARADISE - ask away

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It was a question : Did you try to remove SD card and USB HDD and THEN launch the homebrew channel to see if the problem is the homebrew channel or the files on your SD/USB?

To re-softmod, you just softmod .. again.
The same way you did the first time.

You can also use ModMii to generate a guide and download all the needed file for your case.

Reactions: Superdead22

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Always narrow the problem by excluding possibilities and you will solve half your problem, and you will help users who try to help you by providing and explaining things more accurately :)

Now that you know it's the USB, try to find if it's ALL usb device on only this one, or if it's a particular folder or file on the device, etc.

Reactions: Rydian

Skeet1983

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did what you suggested: Removed both SD and HDD, then inserted SD in again. It did detect SD, but not the HDD when I did that. It seems like I have to have SD inserted first before anything will detect the HDD. Thing is, the CleanRip program was able to write several GameCube game ISO's to the HDD...

UPDATE: Thought HDD needed to be in FAT32 format. Created another partition in FAT32 format, HBC still goes to Crash/Stack Dump screen when trying to switch to USB, didn't have SD inserted at time....

Superdead22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Always narrow the problem by excluding possibilities and you will solve half your problem, and you will help users who try to help you by providing and explaining things more accurately :)

Now that you know it's the USB, try to find if it's ALL usb device on only this one, or if it's a particular folder or file on the device, etc.

I'm using a modded ipod classic 160GB to boot the games from. The problem was that ipod had powered down and that was preventing stuff from loading. Thanks again for all your help!

Matmanlives

Trophies
XP
Country
Hello everyone. Just a quick question as i seem to be a little confused.
I have 2 wii's with 4.2e.
The first i use quite a lot after jailbreaking, mostly for films via wiimc and my ext hdd, although i do play backups via usbloader gx occaisionaly. I have a dedicated ext hdd for this, which is formatted to wbfs, which works perfectly with my wii.
The second is my sisters. Also jailbroken, with the same versions of usbloader gx and all the other homebrew apps, however, i seem to remember updating the cios rev on my machine some time back.

My problem is that my sisters wii will not recognise my backup hdd when i try to load usbloader gx. It just times out.

As i said, it works fine on mine, and in the past has been fine on hers, but now it is not recognised. It reads usb for wiimc, so i dont think it is the port, or the hack.
Is it the cios version? (Probably rev 14) if i remember rightly, and i updated mine to rev 17 to get monster hunter tri to work', but not hers.
If so how do i go about fixing it?
I can do a complete re hack, if that needs to be done, but i have no idea where to find all the files etc.

Its probably 3 years since i did the hacks originally, when the banneromb hack first came out for 4.2e, but i have done very little to either since them.

Mine works fine and does evrything i need it to do, just this little snag with the sisters has me perplexed.

Sorry if its all a bit confusing.
Cheers

D

Deleted User

Hello everyone. Just a quick question as i seem to be a little confused.
I have 2 wii's with 4.2e.
The first i use quite a lot after jailbreaking, mostly for films via wiimc and my ext hdd, although i do play backups via usbloader gx occaisionaly. I have a dedicated ext hdd for this, which is formatted to wbfs, which works perfectly with my wii.
The second is my sisters. Also jailbroken, with the same versions of usbloader gx and all the other homebrew apps, however, i seem to remember updating the cios rev on my machine some time back.

My problem is that my sisters wii will not recognise my backup hdd when i try to load usbloader gx. It just times out.

As i said, it works fine on mine, and in the past has been fine on hers, but now it is not recognised. It reads usb for wiimc, so i dont think it is the port, or the hack.
Is it the cios version? (Probably rev 14) if i remember rightly, and i updated mine to rev 17 to get monster hunter tri to work', but not hers.
If so how do i go about fixing it?
I can do a complete re hack, if that needs to be done, but i have no idea where to find all the files etc.

Its probably 3 years since i did the hacks originally, when the banneromb hack first came out for 4.2e, but i have done very little to either since them.

Mine works fine and does evrything i need it to do, just this little snag with the sisters has me perplexed.

Sorry if its all a bit confusing.
Cheers

A)Check the CIOS is up to date
B)Check the slot it is inserted in
C)TRY USING WIIFLOW it is better!!!

Xaliton

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi everyone, just discovered this site/forum and figured I'd ask my question here.
I have a FAT32 USB drive connected to my Wii, I modded the whole thing following a tutorial some while ago.
Games load fine but i was wondering if there is a way to not have to go into a launcher persay?
Like a channel for each individual, and is it easy to do? I looked around the forum, didn't find a guide on it.

Thanks in advance.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone, just discovered this site/forum and figured I'd ask my question here.
I have a FAT32 USB drive connected to my Wii, I modded the whole thing following a tutorial some while ago.
Games load fine but i was wondering if there is a way to not have to go into a launcher persay?
Like a channel for each individual, and is it easy to do? I looked around the forum, didn't find a guide on it.

Thanks in advance.
For Wii/GC games I think it's best that you use a launcher as there's a variety of patches that are often done to them for USB loading.

For homebrew however, you can install forwarder channels.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/mastershoes-emu-forwarder-collection-2nd-edition.309678/
Like those for example. The emulator and files still reside on your drive, but can be run from the Wii's home menu with an icon.

Xaliton

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
For Wii/GC games I think it's best that you use a launcher as there's a variety of patches that are often done to them for USB loading.

For homebrew however, you can install forwarder channels.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/mastershoes-emu-forwarder-collection-2nd-edition.309678/
Like those for example. The emulator and files still reside on your drive, but can be run from the Wii's home menu with an icon.

I already have forwarder channels for my launcher so it's still 2 clicks away.
What do you mean that there are patches done to them? Most of the games are direct copies from a retail disc.
Is it possible to create a forwarder channel for a game directly?

Like look at this link
It's just an example of how to do it but i need a WBFS drive for it to work, I have FAT32

EDIT: I got it working, I used a program called CRAP :D

jomaper

Trophies
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
Ok so I'm getting a Wii and I literally don't know anything about it.
I just want to play some fun games with my gf since we are both gamers but we don't have any console atm and, since the Wii is so cheap right now and I haven't played a single game of its library (besides an emulated Smash Bros full of bugs) I'm buying one.
So... my questions are:
1) How do I emulate older consoles?
2) How do I play GCube games?
3) What's the difference between the hardware chip and the software hack? (I don't even know if they're called that way) I'm getting the hardware mod that doesn't require an external reader. Is there any difference between these two?
Is there any firmware or stuff I should avoid? Tips? Etc.

Any info will be much appretiated. Sorry for asking so many things (and things I'm sure have been already answered) but my internet is really shitty atm and I can't read tons of posts to see if I get what I'm looking for.
Thanks again!

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Ok so I'm getting a Wii and I literally don't know anything about it.
I just want to play some fun games with my gf since we are both gamers but we don't have any console atm and, since the Wii is so cheap right now and I haven't played a single game of its library (besides an emulated Smash Bros full of bugs) I'm buying one.
So... my questions are:
1) How do I emulate older consoles?
2) How do I play GCube games?
3) What's the difference between the hardware chip and the software hack? (I don't even know if they're called that way) I'm getting the hardware mod that doesn't require an external reader. Is there any difference between these two?
Is there any firmware or stuff I should avoid? Tips? Etc.

Any info will be much appretiated. Sorry for asking so many things (and things I'm sure have been already answered) but my internet is really shitty atm and I can't read tons of posts to see if I get what I'm looking for.
Thanks again!
There's practically nothing you can do with a hardware mod that you can't do with a software mod, too.
There's no real problem with any firmware but depending on how recently manufactured the Wii you get is, there's some features you could be missing out on. Generally speaking, older is better BUT you also have to worry about wear and tare on an older console, too, so I guess you just have to balance your risks on that one.

- The VERY newest Wii, the Wii mini (red, top loading console) DON'T get it. It can't be hacked or modded in any way. It's missing ALL Internet connectivity, GameCube compatibility, is missing one of the USB ports and the SD card slot (which is used to hack it). Really not worth it.
- The newest "normal" Wii's, the family edition Wii (the ones made to lay flat and not be mounted vertically ... you can tell by the orientation of the word "Wii" printed on the front of the console.) do not have any ports for GameCube controllers or memory cards and their disk drive is made to spit out a GC disk if you insert one so even if you hack it to be able to load GameCube games from SD or a USB drive, you can't control them*
- Wiis before that, mostly anything new enough to have the motion plus accessory packed with it or wiimotes with motion plus built in, their disk drive is physically incapable of reading anything except for Wii and GameCube retail disks so no DVD-R based backups can be read by them at all without an external USB-DVD reader (and that doesn't have the best compatibility either) BUT you can still read disk images from a USB HDD, flash drive or SD card which is what most people do anyhow.
- Most Wii's that DON'T come packed with motion plus CAN read DVD and DVD-R media from their disk drive.
- Early and launch model Wii's have installed what's called BootMii@boot2 which offers excelent brick protection. It's not an absolute must for most normal use things but it can be useful if you're playing around with anything experimental or otherwise risky.

*without the GC ports there IS still a way to play GC backups (it's called Devolution) but you'd have to prove to it that you own the real retail disks for it to work (using an older, more compatible Wii console)

spatialWanderer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey I have a question. About a year and a half ago I modded my Wii. Back then I had added the Homebrew Channel, USB Loader GX, Neo Gamma, and a few Wads. Since then I hadn't used my Wii much and I recently got back into playing it, but I've wanted to play some games that require me to update the firmware. My question is that if I do update will I risk bricking my Wii or will it be fine? My Wii is one of the first ones from 06-07 so I'm guessing it should be compatible with plenty of the mod stuff.

Aractus

Trophies
Website
blog.aractus.com
XP
Country
So long as you don't have a korean-modified Wii, you can safely update it. You may loose some custom channels, and you should re-install the HBC on IOS58 (if it isn't already), bootmii as boot2 and make a NAND backup. You can alternativly use MMM or NUS Downloader to get your missing IOS files. Best bet is to post a syscheck (guide is here, but use the first link to dl the latest version), and I can let you know what you need. MMM is by far the easiest way to safely go straight to version 4.1 if you want to update your system menu.

biscutpants

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi everyone, noob here and was wondering if anyone knows the neogamma r9 b56 options for playing skyward sword? i had the settings set a year ago and got the game working but for some reason they have been set to default, the problem what keeps happening is every time i go to see zelda for the first time it tells me the disc cannot be read, ive defiantly downloaded all the right things and had the game working a year ago and was wondering if anyone knows what the wii settings are? Much appreciated.

jomaper

Trophies
XP
Country
Uzbekistan

Wow, amazing.
Thanks man!
I'm getting this:
nintendo-wii-flasheada-muy-poco-uso-juegos-y-accesorios_MLA-F-4731785673_072013.jpg

So I guess it's an old Wii. So I don't have to worry about anything, right? So, the only thing I'm still curious about... If I'm able to, how do I emulate consoles? (It's hardware mod)

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Wow, amazing.
Thanks man!
I'm getting this:
nintendo-wii-flasheada-muy-poco-uso-juegos-y-accesorios_MLA-F-4731785673_072013.jpg

So I guess it's an old Wii. So I don't have to worry about anything, right? So, the only thing I'm still curious about... If I'm able to, how do I emulate consoles? (It's hardware mod)
To emulate the older consoles you need emulators but you can only run them if you have a software mod, too (the Homebrew Channel). If you don't have it (and even if you do and just want make sure it's done right) ModMii for Windows can help you out there.
You can get most of the emulators here : http://wiibrew.org/wiki/List_of_homebrew_emulators
To be able to run GameCube games off of SD or USB, you'd probably use DM(L)
http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-p...s-from-sd-or-usb-using-dios-mios-lite.318585/
Further, if you want all of that together in one place, I'd recommend WiiFlow.

Have fun.

Frouwke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Apparently I managed to partly brick my Wii... I softmodded it back in 2009 and hadn't updated it since. Had a DVD with a game on it, didn't know which, so tried playing it, but now it says my data's corrupted. I can get into the Priiloader menu, but not to the System Menu or the HBC and I'm not completely sure what I should do. I still have the nand backup, but I don't know how to apply it since Priiloader says something's wrong when I click on Bootmii. Could I do something with Modmii? Darn, I'm completely out of it...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
  • cearp @ cearp:
    It's nice to not have to have a lot of physical things though, saves space
    +1
    Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on time, soap, water and money having to wash them. :D
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @rqkaiju2, Physical media is a great source for archiving your data, none of that cloud storage shiz.
    +1
    [squeezes @SylverReZ onto a physical media, then archives you in my old stuff box] :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
    +1
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: [squeezes @SylverReZ onto a physical media, then archives you in my old stuff box]... +1