Hacking Nintendont

The_Atomik_Punk!

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey pedro702, thank you for your reply. I'm sorry if my OP wasn't clear enough, but I tried loading GC games via Nintendont with Memcard Emulation turned on, and Nintendont just freezes. To answer you questions in bulletpoints:

- putting all Wii and GC games (.iso) on a 2TB Seagate pwered USB HDD
-my USB HDD has approx 1.5 TB free space, my SD card that has all of the apps has 28GB free
-Unfortunately I don't have a camera on hand, but my Nintendont settings are all "OFF", with the exception of:

Memcard Emulation ON
Max Pads 4
Language Auto
Video Auto
Memcard Blocks 123
Video Width Auto

I have a nincfg.bin, but not .ini, and no controller .ini in my root of SD, should I look on the USB HDD as well (i.e where the actual games are) for those files?

*EDIT* I deleted the nincfg.bin from both the SD card and USB HDD- memory card emulation still causes Nintendont and all other loaders to freeze, turning it off allows games to boot normally and use my physical memory cards.

Last edited by The_Atomik_Punk!,

PixelB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
was wondering if anyone could help me as I have been stuck on it all day.
Currently trying to load games from USB and I'm getting the infamous ("/games folder can not be found)
My 500GB Drive is formatted to FAT32, it's set as Primary with 64k clusters using Partion Wizard.
No Longer trying to boot through CFG USB loader as I figured that would get more in the way.
I am directly trying to start Nintendont from USB, the Application itself is installed to the SD.

Directory looks as is below.

Thoughts anyone?

upload_2016-10-12_19-7-54.png

upload_2016-10-12_19-9-35.png

Last edited by PixelB,

BakerFalcon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
was wondering if anyone could help me as I have been stuck on it all day.
Currently trying to load games from USB and I'm getting the infamous ("/games folder can not be found)
My 500GB Drive is formatted to FAT32, it's set as Primary with 64 bit clusters using Partion Wizard.
No Longer trying to boot through CFG USB loader as I figured that would get more in the way.
I am directly trying to start Nintendont from USB, the Application itself is installed to the SD.

Directory looks as is below.

Thoughts anyone?

View attachment 65862
View attachment 65863
It might have something to do with the port your USB is plugged into. Try both

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While loading CFG Usb it detects the game fully, but through Cfg Usb loader it says the Type is 1 and not 32 Maybe this is a clue...
Use a 3rd party Partition app to make sure there isn't an extra partition before the one labeled USB. Many External HDD manufacturers add one for one reason or another and it interferes with Nintendont.

PixelB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use a 3rd party Partition app to make sure there isn't an extra partition before the one labeled USB. Many External HDD manufacturers add one for one reason or another and it interferes with Nintendont.

reformatted with gparted
still no luck.

Edit: Fixed, Rebuilt MBR now its working Flawlessly.

Last edited by PixelB,

GreyRogue

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey pedro702, thank you for your reply. I'm sorry if my OP wasn't clear enough, but I tried loading GC games via Nintendont with Memcard Emulation turned on, and Nintendont just freezes. To answer you questions in bulletpoints:

- putting all Wii and GC games (.iso) on a 2TB Seagate pwered USB HDD
-my USB HDD has approx 1.5 TB free space, my SD card that has all of the apps has 28GB free
-Unfortunately I don't have a camera on hand, but my Nintendont settings are all "OFF", with the exception of:

Memcard Emulation ON
Max Pads 4
Language Auto
Video Auto
Memcard Blocks 123
Video Width Auto

I have a nincfg.bin, but not .ini, and no controller .ini in my root of SD, should I look on the USB HDD as well (i.e where the actual games are) for those files?

*EDIT* I deleted the nincfg.bin from both the SD card and USB HDD- memory card emulation still causes Nintendont and all other loaders to freeze, turning it off allows games to boot normally and use my physical memory cards.
Did you try removing the memory cards? I know at least in the past DevKitPro (which Nintendont is built with) assumed anything placed in memory card slot B was a USBGecko.

The_Atomik_Punk!

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Did you try removing the memory cards? I know at least in the past DevKitPro (which Nintendont is built with) assumed anything placed in memory card slot B was a USBGecko.

No, I didn't try that. Memory card emulation was working fine before, with both real memory cards plugged in, so I don't see how they could be the problem. My USB HDD is currently unplugged in case I have to do something with it, but if no one else has any other suggestions, I'll be sure to try that.

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anybody know if Nintendont can play different games off of one multi disc? I have a couple of games compiled into one disc and one of the games doesn't have sound for the music. Can anybody help with that?
There is code for multi-game discs, but it's a bit buggy in the master branch. Among other things, it can't handle anything located after 4 GB.

I applied some fixes to this in my CISO branch, but even with fixes I get hangs when using a DVD-R. I'm not sure if my DVD-R is bad or if there's something wrong with the DVD-R code.

tl;dr you're probably better off obtaining the original 1:1 disc images and using those on an HDD instead.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
No, I didn't try that. Memory card emulation was working fine before, with both real memory cards plugged in, so I don't see how they could be the problem. My USB HDD is currently unplugged in case I have to do something with it, but if no one else has any other suggestions, I'll be sure to try that.
its a very wierd bug but maybe removing them could work, also maybe try passing all your sd apps to usb and use only the usb and removing the sd card too to see if its a conflict between usb and SD.

self_slaughter

Trophies
XP
Country
And if you actually have a gecko in slot b Nintendont won't boot for some reason... :/

Console pauses anytime it's plugged in during Nintendont startup. Any other time it's fine to just leave plugged in.

Edit: as for old mates save issues try running a chkdsk on both drives. Maybe something got messed up on your drive(s) during the transfer or your usb cable / sd card isn't making perfect contact since being plugged back in. Gotta be something simple if that's all you changed.

Miss my wbfs drive just quietly. It was a lot more robust than using a fat32 partition, never corrupting or doing anything strange for years.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited by self_slaughter,

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
And if you actually have a gecko in slot b Nintendont won't boot for some reason... :/
Console pauses anytime it's plugged in during Nintendont startup. Any other time it's fine to just leave plugged in.
thats completely normal behavior, it uses the "safe" way to send debug text to port b on the console, safe meaning it waits until it finally gets a response from a connected pc program like geckoreader that it recieved the debug text.

Reactions: self_slaughter

The_Atomik_Punk!

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wow guys, removing the memory card in slot B actually solved my problem! Nintendont now successfully uses memory card emulation, as do the other USB loaders, and I can turn it off to access my old memory card data if I want. With both memory cards removed, I was prompted that the memory card in slot A was corrupted, and that I should format it. Despite warning that all data would be lost, after formatting, my Super Mario Sunshine emulated memory card save data is still intact- weird but cool. I'm a little confused as to why I was able to use memory card emulation with real cards in both slot A and B before, but I'm just glad I have everything working again.

I have a few remaining lingering questions just to make sure everything is kosher. When loading a GC game via Configurable USB Loader,, it redirects to Nintendont and goes through the standard loading screen. When booting GC games in USBLoaderGX, the screen is black (while I assume Nintendont is being accessed) and boots the game after 5-8 seconds. Is this normal for USBLoaderGX? I remember it running the standard Nintendont laoding screen, or am I wrong?

Secondly, when I recently added the aprroximately 50 GC games to my USB HDD, I also added about 5 more wii games using WiiBackupManager. I noticed something a little different when I finished adding those new Wii titles; All 75 of the old Wii games that were already on the drive had "G" under the "partitions" column, whereas the 5 new titles had a "UG".

Finally, I wasn't aware that all of the Wii apps and softmod files could be placed on the USB HDD; I bought my Wii premodded online, and all of those files are on a SD card, whereas all of my games are on the USB HDD. Should I consolidate all of those files onto the USB HDD? Would that reduce the chance of any random corruption?

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have a few remaining lingering questions just to make sure everything is kosher. When loading a GC game via Configurable USB Loader,, it redirects to Nintendont and goes through the standard loading screen. When booting GC games in USBLoaderGX, the screen is black (while I assume Nintendont is being accessed) and boots the game after 5-8 seconds. Is this normal for USBLoaderGX? I remember it running the standard Nintendont laoding screen, or am I wrong?
This is a recent change, if nintendont was booted using autoboot arguments it'll start up the game silently without all the GUI delays which makes it a smoother transition. I imagine that configurable usb loader simply does not use argument autoboot but instead writes a configuration file for it which is also accepted but for safety reasons will allow you to cancel autoboot and show the GUI with all its delays.
Secondly, when I recently added the aprroximately 50 GC games to my USB HDD, I also added about 5 more wii games using WiiBackupManager. I noticed something a little different when I finished adding those new Wii titles; All 75 of the old Wii games that were already on the drive had "G" under the "partitions" column, whereas the 5 new titles had a "UG".
"G" stands for game, "U" stands for update partition, so in your current wii backup manager setting you for whatever reason dont strip the update partition which is a little bit of a waste when it comes to space since it cant be used anyways by anything.
Finally, I wasn't aware that all of the Wii apps and softmod files could be placed on the USB HDD; I bought my Wii premodded online, and all of those files are on a SD card, whereas all of my games are on the USB HDD. Should I consolidate all of those files onto the USB HDD? Would that reduce the chance of any random corruption?
I never had a random corruption of any devices I had connected to a wii so that chance is really, really tiny I'd guess. Also I personally would suggest a sd card inserted since most programs try to mount that first and if none is inserted you waste some bootup time waiting for a sd card to get mounted.

Reactions: ccfman2004

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
while I'm not a fan of double posting I'll do it anyways for this new nintendont version:
-added a new option called "TRI Arcade Mode", enabling this will remove all timer patches and the free play patch from triforce games giving it a more original feel, to insert coins in this mode just move the c-stick into any direction
-fixed a bug which made nintendont crash on startup with no FAT device found, now it will properly exit
I was thinking about adding such a arcade mode for quite some time now since it was requested a few times over quite a long period of time so now I just did that, besides needing coins and displaying timers again nothing else should be affected.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
while I'm not a fan of double posting I'll do it anyways for this new nintendont version:
-added a new option called "TRI Arcade Mode", enabling this will remove all timer patches and the free play patch from triforce games giving it a more original feel, to insert coins in this mode just move the c-stick into any direction
-fixed a bug which made nintendont crash on startup with no FAT device found, now it will properly exit
I was thinking about adding such a arcade mode for quite some time now since it was requested a few times over quite a long period of time so now I just did that, besides needing coins and displaying timers again nothing else should be affected.

Keep up the good work, man :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision the new...