Raspberry Pi 5 unveiled

aa7841cb-421a-4000-8ab9-c77478a4f83b-1024x683.jpg

The Raspberry Pi Foundation have formally announced the newest in their line of single board computers which are a favourite among hobbyists and tinkerers. The new Raspberry Pi 5 boasts significant improvements over its predecessor and is set to hit shelves later this year.

Priced at $60 for the 4GB RAM version and $80 for the 8GB RAM model, the new board features a 2.4GHz quad-core 64-bit Arm Cortex-A76 CPU, VideoCore VII GPU with HEVC decode, dual 4K 60hz micro HDMI display output, dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 5.0 BLE (low energy), and more.

The Raspberry Pi 5 also marks the first time the company has designed its own silicon; developed in-house in Cambridge, UK, the new board introduces a disaggregated chiplet architecture, enhancing its overall performance with reports claiming the new board is between 2-3x faster than the Raspberry Pi 4, with all of this increased performance even being delivered at a lower power consumption than previous boards for comparable workloads.

Pre-orders are now open at select retailers with the first batches expected to be delivered this October.

:arrow: Source

Last edited by shaunj66,

duffman2k

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Wow, Rpi is really stagnating at this point.
In what way? They are meant to be cheap, not a powerhouse. And the software and support are miles ahead of the competition.
I only hope the supply problems are over. The rpi4 was laughable overpriced in the second hand marked

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
In what way? They are meant to be cheap, not a powerhouse. And the software and support are miles ahead of the competition.
I only hope the supply problems are over. The rpi4 was laughable overpriced in the second hand marked

One rumour going around was that they might add hardware accelerated machine learning due to an investment by Sony, although I won't be surprised now if at best we see a 'machine learning hat' at some point.

Still, I ended up preordering one because the shortages were ridiculous.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
OP
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You forgot the most groundbreaking development. It has a power button!
Not going to lie , it's actually a great addition. I had to buy a case for mine specifically to be able to easily turn it on and off!

LokeYourLord

Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
For it supposedly being there for hobbyists to tinker with, it has some staggering anti-open source suppliers for its hardware, like for example its Ethernet/WiFi chipset. Broadcom is famously known to not open source their crap and are notorious to have difficulties with getting anything OpenWRT and such installed on them. Just ewwww...

PopcornSweetie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe we can get proper GC emulation now

A man can hope
I hope so too. Being able to play GC on the go in a GB like shelled device with dual analog sticks of course and net play support would be awesome. Just imagine that sweet 16 player Double Dash lan party in the subway.. maybe i am dreaming too much.. :unsure:

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
You forgot the most groundbreaking development. It has a power button!
And yet, still no 2.5Gbit Ethernet, no M.2 slot on bottom, and the same crappy Wi-Fi 5+Bluetooth 5 as the Pi 4. For $60, they could have done better. The SoC is beefy, but the I/O leaves much to be desired. I'm tired of everything being limited to Gigabit Ethernet. Not everyone enjoys slow af transfer speeds of large files over LAN.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
And yet, still no 2.5Gbit Ethernet, no M.2 slot on bottom, and the same crappy Wi-Fi 5+Bluetooth 5 as the Pi 4. For $60, they could have done better. The SoC is beefy, but the I/O leaves much to be desired. I'm tired of everything being limited to Gigabit Ethernet. Not everyone enjoys slow af transfer speeds of large files over LAN.
I hope you only forgot the /s
Because if not, you sound really entitled right now...

LokeYourLord

Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
I hope you only forgot the /s
Because if not, you sound really entitled right now...
I agree with the first half of that post actually, but like, if Gigabit isn't enough for LAN file transfers, then wtf and how much every second are you transferring on LAN that requires you to want to have 2.5 or even 10GBit of an Ethernet interface!? That is so excessive that I really question at that point whether a Raspberry Pi is even meaningful for someone like that to have, because what that sounds like to me, is that they need a full on Server Rack with 10GBit+ LAN interfaces at this point.

Someone like that would really just be better off just buying actual Servers they can station at home, because the Raspberry Pi specs are the least of your problems at that point.

Attila13

Praise the Creep!
Trophies
Website
gamesystemrequirements.com
XP
Country
Romania
Seems interesting. I may get one to play around with. I'd like to play around with some home media server stuff and DNS level network wide ad blocking. Curious to see how it goes. :D

*Also a mini typo: You meant 4k60p (maybe it's correct the way you wrote it as well? :unsure: Don't know...never seen it like that :P )

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I agree with the first half of that post actually, but like, if Gigabit isn't enough for LAN file transfers, then wtf and how much every second are you transferring on LAN that requires you to want to have 2.5 or even 10GBit of an Ethernet interface!? That is so excessive that I really question at that point whether a Raspberry Pi is even meaningful for someone like that to have, because what that sounds like to me, is that they need a full on Server Rack with 10GBit+ LAN interfaces at this point.

Someone like that would really just be better off just buying actual Servers they can station at home, because the Raspberry Pi specs are the least of your problems at that point.
Usually, you want ultra highspeed internet for two reasons
1- when you have a server at home, like you said
2- when you do a lot of big downloads.
You won't run a server out of a raspberry pi, and i highly doubt you will be able to run games that weigth 100GB+...

AndorfRequissa

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wonder how easy it is to take retrostation pi4 and move it to a pi5. micro sd and external hd. is this something that will take time or be pretty easy to do? are we going to have to wait for drivers/kernals,etc to be built before being able move pi4 to pi5 or is it going to be mostly setup from scratch all over?

Thanks these are the questions that will influence if i buy a pi5

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Seems interesting. I may get one to play around with. I'd like to play around with some home media server stuff and DNS level network wide ad blocking. Curious to see how it goes. :D

*Also a mini typo: You meant 4k60p (maybe it's correct the way you wrote it as well? :unsure: Don't know...never seen it like that :P )
Actually, it should be no "p" at all.
The p is usually used for heigth resolution, such as 1080p. The 60, in this case, stands for 60fps. 4k doesn't require a "p" when written like that, or it should be 2160p

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto