Raspberry Pi-powered retro DIY console 'Lyra' launches Kickstarter campaign

lyra.PNG
Creoqode, a London-based company known for making DIY gadgets, is launching its new project on the crowdfunding platform Kickstarter. Named Lyra this handheld device is powered by a Raspberry Pi CM3L (Compute Module 3 Lite) that claims to "virtually emulate any game console of the classic era" (think RetroPie). The Lyra comes in two different versions; a fully assembled one at £179 and a DIY version at £149 (somewhat akin the MAKERbuino). Both versions of the console boast the following specs:
  • SOC: Broadcom BCM2837B0, Cortex-A53 (ARMv8) 64-bit SoC
  • CPU: 1.4GHz 64-bit quad-core ARM Cortex-A53 CPU
  • RAM: 1GB LPDDR2 SDRAM
  • Display: 5" TFT LCD 800 x 480 Resolution
  • Video: DPI Interface & HDMI
  • Audio: Integrated Speaker, 3.5 mm Audio Output & HDMI
  • USB: Micro USB 2.0
  • Memory: 16 GB Micro SD Card. Upgradable to any memory size.
  • Battery: 3000 mAh LiPo
While the handheld packs a 5 inch, 800 x 480 display, it can also be hooked to a monitor via HDMI and since it operates via a Raspberry Pi board, Lyra can double as a personal computer.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

While situating itself on the pricey end of the DIY spectrum, the Lyra is worth keeping an eye out for, especially if you are into DIY-ing or want to learn more about the intricacies of video game hardware and software development. The handheld will come with a comprehensive tutorial series guiding users about hardware, software and assembly.

Founder of Creoqode, Cem Eltutar, says that “While bringing back the nostalgia of classic video gaming in your pocket, Lyra also provides a fundamental education about hardware and software. Assembling Lyra makes users familiar with the components of a game console and their working principles. Installing an OS and being able to code video games from scratch provides the first step towards software design.”

Of note, Lyra's Kickstarter campaign has nearly doubled its £30,000 goal at the time of writing, meaning that the product will come to fruition.

What do you think of the Lyra? Will you be interested in DIY-ing one for yourself?

:arrow: Lyra Kickstarter Campaign

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, because of you guys I just found out it actually sort of came out, the prototype at least.

To be fair this is nowhere near as ambitious as SmachZ. This seems like more of a hobbyist thing and not something a serious gamer would want. It also doesn't have a $700 price point, so weak hardware and cheap components would be forgivable.

For anyone not aware, the SmachZ was meant to be a device that is basically a modern gaming PC in portable form. However, it runs Doom 2016 in 576p with all the graphics options turned down/off and at sub-30fps. It's also plagued with hardware and software issues despite being officially released at E3

Last edited by Subtle Demise,
Reactions: Jiehfeng

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
just by looking at it I see that suffers from the same as all the other projects: lack of dual analogs and L/R buttons.

I mean it looks pretty cool, I hope it's powerful enough to emulate Snes games that use special chips. The RP3 struggles with Super FX, S-DD1, etc games, so maybe this will fare better?
the pi 3 doesn't struggle with special chips. starfox 1 and 2 run fine, same with mario rpg and kirby superstar.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just by looking at it I see that suffers from the same as all the other projects: lack of dual analogs and L/R buttons.

the pi 3 doesn't struggle with special chips. starfox 1 and 2 run fine, same with mario rpg and kirby superstar.

Too bad some PSX and N64 games struggle though, the RP4 could handle them much better.

Sakitoshi

Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that's enough for emulation of retro systems.

most ps1 games run perfectly fine, n64 is more complicated so those run shitty.

Ah, but most of the time people run PCSX with simple/linear interpolation (which sounds like shit) and not the native Gaussian, can it run PSX games with that?

Sakitoshi

Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
Ah, but most of the time people run PCSX with simple/linear interpolation (which sounds like shit) and not the native Gaussian, can it run PSX games with that?
I myself updated the gaussian interpolation of pcsx rearmed on retroarch and performance is the same with whichever interpolation you decide to use.
stop talking without knowing.

erikas

Trophies
XP
Country
The point of a DYI raspberry pi/arduino console is that it's fun to make. But let's face it, I will not play this, you will not play this if you buy it. If you have that much money laying around just save up some more and get a switch. There has to be a cheaper way to play old games. And its not like this console will get any exclusives. I really don't see the point of this existing.

D

Deleted User

Honestly, though I love the raspberry pi 3 that I have, I know this little guy would be better for what I'm wanting:
https://www.amazon.com/ACEPC-Computer-4GB-64GB-Bluetooth/dp/B07MWZH4V3
I know it's got some DOA and "Fan stopped working" reviews on it but if it can play GZDoom at lowest settings (RPI 3 does it playably, but there's an issue where mouse input is bugged and barely useable) then I'm hooked. Here's a (stupid) video on the subject:

It's practically the same thing as the W5 pro.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BakerMan, Remember to take your meds like AncientBoi.