Creators of MAKERbuino, the DIY handheld console, announce their new project, a DIY phone

makerphone.gif

Mobile phones are an integral part of the lives of many among us. They allow us to be in touch with friends and relatives at the press of a button, keep up with the latest news, interact with fellow internauts on social media and even play games! But the concept of making one's own phone has remained alien to many. Albert Gajšak, founder of CircuitMess the startup company behind the DIY handheld console MAKERbuino, wants you to think differently. Enter the MAKERphone.

makerphone 1.jpg

The MAKERphone is an educational tool aimed at "turning consumers into creators". Once assembled by the DIY enthusiast, the latter will be in possession of a fully functional mobile phone. Sure this phone won't replace the latest iPhone or Android device. But that's not the point. As an educational device, the adventure does not end after the assembly. After building the MAKERphone and learning about electronics in the process, the DIYer can further learn to code apps for the phone via the company's official guide. MAKERphone supports programming languages Python, Adruino and Scratch that enables the device to play games like space invaders, pong, snake and even apps like a custom media player that "only plays cat videos". Moreover, custom cases can be designed and 3D printed to style the MAKERphone with your personal touch. If the MAKERbuino that I recently reviewed is any indication, the MAKERphone promises to offer an experience unlike any other.

maker stuffs.jpg

With an estimated build time of 7 hours, Circuit Mess estimates that 11-year-old kid should be able to assemble their own MAKERphone with a tiny bit of help from an adult.

The startup has made some improvements on the electronics side since the MAKERbuino and some notable specs of the MAKERphone as compared to their previous project are as follows:
  • A color screen
  • Better microcontroller with their custom software
  • Dedicated DAC and electronic volume controller for sound regulation and mp3 playback
  • 8 individually programmable RGB LEDs for a lightshow in your palms
  • Better PCB architecture for easier soldering
  • SIM card support
  • Built-in Wi-Fi, Bluetooth
  • RTC (real time clock)
  • 128MB SD card preinstalled with dozens of useful applications, tools and games.
49ba47c0a6b34b6ce33626f6f7640970_original.gif

CircuitMess has just launched a Kickstarter campaign to turn their MAKERphone project into reality. At the time of writing, the campaign has raised nearly $14,000 of its $15,000 goal. With 43 days remaining, they are well on their way to reach their goal and maybe even some stretch goals. Interested? Check out the Kickstarter campaign below where an early bird pledge of $89 can reward you with a base kit.

If you want to have an idea as to what to expect with CircuitMess' DIY projects, check out our official review of the MAKERbuino linked below.

:arrow: MAKERphone Kickstarter campaign
:arrow: MAKERbuino Official GBAtemp Review

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't ever understand the point of this expensive money waste but oh well...

I would totally love a DIY kit of an actual useful device that would make it way less expensive than buying a branded one and still high quality, like making a 5.1 nice decoder + high wattage Hi-Fi amplifier instead of having to pay hundreds 4 a good one.

And not paying a huge amount of money for something primitive that we even have to assemble and we can buy a quite decent phone already from China brands which are actually useable.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Lol how funny would it be to buy this and then send it to someone in prison piece by piece to put together to be able to call out to people.
My bet is the first person he'd call would be someone to roughen you up for not sending a normal phone in the first place*. :P I mean...why take dozens of risks to get caught sneaking in individual parts (and lose WEEKS in the process) when you can just sneak ONE item in?

Yes, it's a (not even that much) larger one, but do you think guards are going to be less suspicious when they catch you passing a computer chip to an inmate?

*especially if those blinking LED's aren't optional (how would you even try to hide it from the guards? :P )

Last edited by Taleweaver,

Deleted member 445482

Antisocial behavior detected.
Trophies
XP
My bet is the first person he'd call would be someone to roughen you up for not sending a normal phone in the first place*. :P I mean...why take dozens of risks to get caught sneaking in individual parts (and lose WEEKS in the process) when you can just sneak ONE item in?
Yes, it's a (not even that much) larger one, but do you think guards are going to be less suspicious when they catch you passing a computer chip to an inmate?
*especially if those blinking LED's aren't optional (how would you even try to hide it from the guards? :P )
Turn off the phone? Or when your building it just dont put the led in the first place.

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any chance of having FM Radio on it? A number of Dingoo and other Chinese Devices had this Feature without the use of Headphones (But could be used for extra Signal Boost). Also.....Case/Holder?

Song of storms

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Nintendo Labo announced: "Nintendo wtf lol useless shit they're doomed"
DIY GSM phone announced "Best thing ever I'll take 20"

Lol how funny would it be to buy this and then send it to someone in prison piece by piece to put together to be able to call out to people.
You can't smuggle batteries in prison for obvious reasons.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Any chance of having FM Radio on it? A number of Dingoo and other Chinese Devices had this Feature without the use of Headphones (But could be used for extra Signal Boost). Also.....Case/Holder?
I'm sure you can install a module on it. Passive FM radio receivers are cheap.

Reactions: Smoker1

MaybeTheLastBilly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Let me guess, it's based around a ESP-32 and one of those cheap GSM modules from aliexpress.
(I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that btw, it's a pretty neat diy kit)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    yeah. I've tried changing dns too.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Check cpuid make sure ram sockets are detected
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    (and i'm fibered, 5gb shared downloads, 1gb upload)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or even in bios
    its mostly when starting firefox that it's noticible slower. Opening and loading the homepage. Tried fresh installs and all.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Knowing your system specs would help
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    if you're in win 11, have you checked which graphical processor Firefox was using ?
    after it's open, its a bit slower too at loading pages, but not as noticeable as the initial startup and homepage loading
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    can make a little difference
    You mean as in hardware acceleration on or off?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Went to make cup noodles, spilled boiling water on me then the kettle decided to pop
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know why I saw a kettle with wifi
    Will try that now
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    ouch @K3Nv2 hope nothing's too bad !
    xda a good site. My go to site for phone shit. :)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Females have burnt me worse
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    females don't exist
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Tamales exist.
    +1
    Setting FF to max performance on my gpu made it slower. lol. Tried it on Edge too just to see, and it made Edge slower too. lol
    Thanks for trying. :)
    ill just use edge and watch nintendo videos on firefox. lolol.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The everything beagle cup noodles are actually pretty decent
    dog noodles. mmmmmm.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: dog noodles. mmmmmm.