Creators of MAKERbuino, the DIY handheld console, announce their new project, a DIY phone

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Prans, Oct 10, 2018.

Front-page
    makerphone.

Mobile phones are an integral part of the lives of many among us. They allow us to be in touch with friends and relatives at the press of a button, keep up with the latest news, interact with fellow internauts on social media and even play games! But the concept of making one's own phone has remained alien to many. Albert Gajšak, founder of CircuitMess the startup company behind the DIY handheld console MAKERbuino, wants you to think differently. Enter the MAKERphone.

makerphone 1.

The MAKERphone is an educational tool aimed at "turning consumers into creators". Once assembled by the DIY enthusiast, the latter will be in possession of a fully functional mobile phone. Sure this phone won't replace the latest iPhone or Android device. But that's not the point. As an educational device, the adventure does not end after the assembly. After building the MAKERphone and learning about electronics in the process, the DIYer can further learn to code apps for the phone via the company's official guide. MAKERphone supports programming languages Python, Adruino and Scratch that enables the device to play games like space invaders, pong, snake and even apps like a custom media player that "only plays cat videos". Moreover, custom cases can be designed and 3D printed to style the MAKERphone with your personal touch. If the MAKERbuino that I recently reviewed is any indication, the MAKERphone promises to offer an experience unlike any other.

maker stuffs.

With an estimated build time of 7 hours, Circuit Mess estimates that 11-year-old kid should be able to assemble their own MAKERphone with a tiny bit of help from an adult.

The startup has made some improvements on the electronics side since the MAKERbuino and some notable specs of the MAKERphone as compared to their previous project are as follows:
    • A color screen
    • Better microcontroller with their custom software
    • Dedicated DAC and electronic volume controller for sound regulation and mp3 playback
    • 8 individually programmable RGB LEDs for a lightshow in your palms
    • Better PCB architecture for easier soldering
    • SIM card support
    • Built-in Wi-Fi, Bluetooth
    • RTC (real time clock)
    • 128MB SD card preinstalled with dozens of useful applications, tools and games.
    49ba47c0a6b34b6ce33626f6f7640970_original.

CircuitMess has just launched a Kickstarter campaign to turn their MAKERphone project into reality. At the time of writing, the campaign has raised nearly $14,000 of its $15,000 goal. With 43 days remaining, they are well on their way to reach their goal and maybe even some stretch goals. Interested? Check out the Kickstarter campaign below where an early bird pledge of $89 can reward you with a base kit.

If you want to have an idea as to what to expect with CircuitMess' DIY projects, check out our official review of the MAKERbuino linked below.

:arrow: MAKERphone Kickstarter campaign
    :arrow: MAKERbuino Official GBAtemp Review

Discussion (34 replies)
  1. crossholo

crossholo Member

Newcomer
    GBAtemp Patron
    crossholo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 26, 2017
    Italy
    nice

gnmmarechal, lordelan, mgrev and 6 others like this.
  2. Ritsuki

Ritsuki ORAORAORAORA

Mar 15, 2008
    Switzerland
    I'm really excited about all the achievements in the DIY world, it's amazing and a great opportunity to teach and learn skills that will definitely be an asset in the future! Now, just need time and to sell a kidney to buy some books and stuff :P

Prans likes this.
  3. Raverrevolution

Raverrevolution GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    Lol how funny would it be to buy this and then send it to someone in prison piece by piece to put together to be able to call out to people.

ShyButterfly, Diego788, ry755 and 7 others like this.
  4. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    Cool. This reminds me of the DIY land-line phone my grandparents bought me one year for Christmas. Unfortunately, the ringer was super annoying and it flashed multicolored LEDs when it rang, so it wasn't really ever put to practical use for the family.

5. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Tom BombaDadlo

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    I love little DIY electronics projects like these. If introductory stuff like this was widely available when I was younger, I'd probably be much more interested/skilled in making my own DIY electronics and such.

Dunno if I'd buy one of these myself now, though, but I know if I had a kid interested in electronics I'd totally spend the $90-100 for a kit like this.

Sumasuun, Prans and Memoir like this.
  6. JimmyCall

JimmyCall Member

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2018
    Australia
    I think this maybe only 2G which is phased out in some nations like Australia.

GerbilSoft and DarthDub like this.
  7. matpower

matpower A Hero of Justice

May 5, 2012
    Brazil
    Kazamatsuri
    But is it fully open source hardware and software? :P

gnmmarechal likes this.
  8. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    R...G...B...

9. DeoNaught

DeoNaught I break all the warranties

Aug 22, 2016
    United States
    Constant Fear
  10. Dodain47

Dodain47 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 1, 2017
    Austria

Attached Files:

lordelan, ry755 and DeoNaught like this.
  11. DKB

DKB ...!

GBAtemp Patron
    DKB is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 29, 2015
    United States
    New York City, Manhattan
    I'd rock this shit. I like it.

12. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips a seldom-used crab named Lucky

Mar 10, 2015
    United States
    I wonder how airport security would react to someone having a phone like this :lol:

Looks like a neat little project that'd be quite fun to try

13. Pluupy

Pluupy _(:3」∠)_

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Something like

"That thing looks weird but it's an electronic so put it in the bin and move along please"

Assuming they grace it with a comment.

CitizenSnips likes this.
  14. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips a seldom-used crab named Lucky

Mar 10, 2015
    United States
    Well the thought was it could be mistaken for a bomb type thing or the like if they didn't quite know what it was lol, of course it isn't and could easily be explained if it was mistaken as something bad...
    just a bad attempt at a joke i guess

15. SomeGamer

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Antarctica
    > has RGB LEDs
    Guys, this is finally it. Razer is nothing, this is some next-gen gamer phone.

16. Minox

Minox Thanks for the fish

Former Staff
    Aug 27, 2007
    Japan
    Indeed, the module pictured is a GSM module.

GerbilSoft and JimmyCall like this.
  17. Zeldaplayer67

Zeldaplayer67 (Secretly a Yo-Kai)

Apr 1, 2018
    United States
    The Moon
    I don't know looks like if it fell out of my pocket it would shatter into a million pieces.

18. SomeGamer

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Antarctica
    Just like a smartphone would!

ry755 and Prans like this.
  19. Xandrid

Xandrid GBAtemp Advanced Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    Xandrid is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 27, 2016
    Nigeria
    Just backed it, I've always wanted to do something like this. I've even been meaning to get a Raspberry Pi

Prans likes this.