Raspberry Pi 5 unveiled

aa7841cb-421a-4000-8ab9-c77478a4f83b-1024x683.jpg

The Raspberry Pi Foundation have formally announced the newest in their line of single board computers which are a favourite among hobbyists and tinkerers. The new Raspberry Pi 5 boasts significant improvements over its predecessor and is set to hit shelves later this year.

Priced at $60 for the 4GB RAM version and $80 for the 8GB RAM model, the new board features a 2.4GHz quad-core 64-bit Arm Cortex-A76 CPU, VideoCore VII GPU with HEVC decode, dual 4K 60hz micro HDMI display output, dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 5.0 BLE (low energy), and more.

The Raspberry Pi 5 also marks the first time the company has designed its own silicon; developed in-house in Cambridge, UK, the new board introduces a disaggregated chiplet architecture, enhancing its overall performance with reports claiming the new board is between 2-3x faster than the Raspberry Pi 4, with all of this increased performance even being delivered at a lower power consumption than previous boards for comparable workloads.

Pre-orders are now open at select retailers with the first batches expected to be delivered this October.

:arrow: Source

Last edited by shaunj66,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I want 4K. Today I use an laptop with a 3060m inside as a Jellyfin machine.
But I want native decoding as much as possible, since transcoding can and will degrade the quality.
Yeah, I never saw the point of the transcoding part of Jellyfin or Plex... When all my devices can handle native H.264/H.265 playback just fine, even at high bitrates. I tested playing a 4K movie on 4 devices at once from my Pi 4 being a server on my Wi-Fi 5 network, and I was streaming 4 copies of the same movie at once with no glitching, stutters, lag, or anything.

N10A

Her stare burns...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
$60 for the 4GB "base model" (when it's supposed to be $35, almost half that) isn't what I call cheap, but go off I guess...
Post automatically merged:

Pi's are typically great for battery-powered projects, but this new Pi 5 seems like a power guzzler... The power supply is 27 watts, 5 Amps. That's a significant power jump from the Pi 4.
it can actually run on less power than the pi 4, but under peak load it draws more. If you use a lower wattage power supply it will just limit the amount of juice that can be pulled from the usb ports to 600 ma. In other word the official power supply is desinged to give you the max power headroom, but you can definitly run it on less. Kind of like how they designed it to be used passivly cooled, but they also offer active cooling solutions for people that run it hot.

Magnus87

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Nowadays there are many alternatives to a raspberry pi, however I will wait for the reviews to see how the emulation works.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
it can actually run on less power than the pi 4, but under peak load it draws more. If you use a lower wattage power supply it will just limit the amount of juice that can be pulled from the usb ports to 600 ma. In other word the official power supply is desinged to give you the max power headroom, but you can definitly run it on less. Kind of like how they designed it to be used passivly cooled, but they also offer active cooling solutions for people that run it hot.
Yeah, I just watched Jeff Gerlings video, and he deprived the board for me and I'm really happy about the Pi 5 now. Each USB port has its own controller for full speed, that's nice. And the Ethernet port isn't sharing the USB bus anymore either is nice

Lodad

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want 4K. Today I use an laptop with a 3060m inside as a Jellyfin machine.
But I want native decoding as much as possible, since transcoding can and will degrade the quality.
Jeff Geerling put out a big presentation on it - maybe I misunderstood, but the PCIe can do x1 gen 3 with experimental options and there MIGHT be possibility of using PC GPUs with proper driver implementation in the future. If that becomes possible, you're giving up the NVMe slot though (which would also only go at 1x). With his tests he showed it's capable of some 4k60 video playback.

console

Elvira fans ❤ :-) I'm rocking Windows 7 for 10 yrs
Trophies
Website
www.startpage.com
XP
Country
United States
That's great! I want to see how going. But still little outdated on CPU, GPU, RAM and no NVMe SSD support.

Can anyone install Windows 10, 11, 12 (64 Bit), Android 64 Bit and Linux (64 Bit only) on Raspberry Pi 5?

But sad for Linux Mint don't support ARM processor, only work on AMD or Intel processors.

Maybe Arch Linux is one best for gaming and can recommend to use on all Raspberry Pi.

I think Raspberry Pi 6 will have 8 cores (4 free extra cores added to processor) running at about 3.2 GHz - 3.6 GHz plus (Turbo boost ready to hit about 4.5 GHz!) 64-bit Arm (L3 8 MB Cache - L3 12 MB Cache) with heatsink and fan come together on motherboard, 8 GB RAM to 32 GB RAM also plus finally NVMe support for operating system only coming then we can use any Crucial, Kingston, Samsung, Seagate, Western Digital, etc in next about 3 - 5 years. MicroSD slot will be still there for 2nd storage. It can support triple-band 802.11ax Wi-Fi 6 / 7 (2.4 GHz, 5 GHz and 6 GHz), Bluetooth 5.2 / 5.3, dual 8K display at 60 Hz.

Price could increase little bit over Raspberry Pi 5 due to upgrade more faster speed on CPU, GPU, RAM and added NVMe slot (2230 to 2280 ready) on back of motherboard. It guess would maybe cost about between 100 dollars (8 GB RAM version), 120 dollars (16 GB RAM version), 160 dollars (32 GB RAM version). Or allow us to use laptop RAM up to 64 GB to 128 GB RAM. Maybe and wait see what happen next. B-)

console

Elvira fans ❤ :-) I'm rocking Windows 7 for 10 yrs
Trophies
Website
www.startpage.com
XP
Country
United States
If they did that the price would likely be even higher.

I'd also expect an M.2 hat in time which uses the PCIe connection.

That's true if people love more faster speed like big performance improve for heavy use programs and gaming would be great.

Exactly. I saw M.2 hat (NVMe slot) picture there.

1695976174969.png

But use for 2230 and 2242 types. But not support 2280 type yet. Someone maybe know how to bypass to use 2280 on it without case cover maybe be risky due to data loss or crash. I will have to wait for update new board design could handle 2280 in near future.

Not sure about performance on NVMe M.2 SSD maybe good or worse. But lab not take test on NVMe SSD yet. More news will come out next month or few months and see what happen next. Cheers B-)

Reactions: linuxares

Magnus87

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Bah after exchange rates in my country, these are beyond my price range.
Don't worry, in Argentina we are similar to your country.
800 pesos are 1 US dollar and with the taxes that will be added when the raspberry arrives here, 60 US dollars will be almost ~120 dollars, and the minimum monthly salary is ~200 dollars.

Bobsy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It's hard to say at this point, as the emulators that have been tested on it so far from what I have seen in videos were optimised for the Pi 4, and some didn't even launch for that reason.

My guess is that, based on their performance on the Pi 4, dolphin and aethersx2 will work well well once they have stable Pi 5 builds or or there is a stable Android version for the Pi 5, but maybe just GC and not Wii at full speed. I definitely wouldn't expect anything more than that.
Does Wii emulation even make much sense without those special controllers?
I feel like the only console so far that I am missing is Saturn, because I had that as a kid. All above that is nice to have, but maybe not even so nice, since I feel no nostalgia for GC etc. and the graphics don't look so good nowadays.
What's with original Xbox emulation, would that be likely in Pi 5 ?
OK, let's be clear: I need to have a plug and play version of Guardian Heroes again. Then I will be happy.

GengarsGhostlyGiggles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
Does Wii emulation even make much sense without those special controllers?
I feel like the only console so far that I am missing is Saturn, because I had that as a kid. All above that is nice to have, but maybe not even so nice, since I feel no nostalgia for GC etc. and the graphics don't look so good nowadays.
What's with original Xbox emulation, would that be likely in Pi 5 ?
OK, let's be clear: I need to have a plug and play version of Guardian Heroes again. Then I will be happy.
If you configure/remap motions your controller right, you can have a better time with some wii games without the crappy motions on a normal controller

Reactions: Bobsy

jceggbert5

Check out my hack, New Retro Mario Bros.
Trophies
Website
romhaxor.bplaced.net
XP
Country
United States
One rumour going around was that they might add hardware accelerated machine learning due to an investment by Sony, although I won't be surprised now if at best we see a 'machine learning hat' at some point.

Still, I ended up preordering one because the shortages were ridiculous.
There are those little PCIe2x2 m.2 AI cards, maybe that's what the PCIe header is for?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?