Raspberry Pi 5 unveiled

aa7841cb-421a-4000-8ab9-c77478a4f83b-1024x683.jpg

The Raspberry Pi Foundation have formally announced the newest in their line of single board computers which are a favourite among hobbyists and tinkerers. The new Raspberry Pi 5 boasts significant improvements over its predecessor and is set to hit shelves later this year.

Priced at $60 for the 4GB RAM version and $80 for the 8GB RAM model, the new board features a 2.4GHz quad-core 64-bit Arm Cortex-A76 CPU, VideoCore VII GPU with HEVC decode, dual 4K 60hz micro HDMI display output, dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 5.0 BLE (low energy), and more.

The Raspberry Pi 5 also marks the first time the company has designed its own silicon; developed in-house in Cambridge, UK, the new board introduces a disaggregated chiplet architecture, enhancing its overall performance with reports claiming the new board is between 2-3x faster than the Raspberry Pi 4, with all of this increased performance even being delivered at a lower power consumption than previous boards for comparable workloads.

Pre-orders are now open at select retailers with the first batches expected to be delivered this October.

:arrow: Source

Last edited by shaunj66,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
False advertising as usual:

photo_2023-09-28_12-04-37.jpg

Also, given precedent of the Pico, "The Raspberry Pi 5 also marks the first time the company has designed its own silicon" really ought to have meant "fuck broadcom" for the already listed reasons, although to be fair
For it supposedly being there for hobbyists to tinker with
the Pi was actually invented as a cheap, semi-disposable computer for SCHOOLS (and of course to allow broadcom to peddle their crap, fun fact: the videocore 2 is the iPod Video's mpeg-4 & h264 accelerator)

Lodad

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will only be available to order to residents of Narnia or if you're Bigfoot or the Loch Ness Monster.

Edit: I'm not far off yet, pihut and sparkfun were the only sites that had any available and they want $20 for shipping a preorder for some reason.

Last edited by Lodad,

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Will only be available to order to residents of Narnia or if you're Bigfoot or the Loch Ness Monster.

Edit: I'm not far off yet, pihut and sparkfun were the only sites that had any available and they want $20 for shipping a preorder for some reason.

Pihut is AFAIK UK based, so International shipping, I only paid £4.

Edit: Am I the only one that's managed to actually preorder one at RRP and reasonable postage cost?

Lodad

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ordered mine :3
Wanna see how well it works as a KODI box vs my Nvidia Shield.
I've used the pi 3B as a plex server for 1080p content before. I did only stream on my local network to one device at a time, though. As long as kodi is available on Linux I'm sure it will work fine as a player especially if you don't have to do any streaming.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I suspect most people here use the pi in ways where speed isn't an issue. though they maybe haven't tried to play ps2 games off an sd card, so we'll see how that goes.

but I agree. having 2.5 and nvme would have made the price point far more attractive. but they might add it in the b revision, and are using this release to focus on the basics most people will be using. most applications don't need it, and that's usually how they make their decisions.

my guess is with no nvme and only sd, the gigabit lan was not the limiting factor. why put 2.5gbe when you're running on an sd or usb 3 external? we'll see how fast the improved usb is, but running everything on sd cards or external over usb will limit extended use-cases. micro-hdmi isn't fun, but two camera ports are quite nice.
Microhdmi is the least of my worries, I have a case with board extender to fix that which gives me two regular HDMI ports.

There's a demand for Pi specifically to be used for NAS duties and it's always falling short of useful.

"The Pi shortage is coming to an end, finally!"

"No, we have no plans to release a Pi 5 any time soon."

Lies upon fucking lies. Still can't find a Pi 4 for sale at MSRP anywhere in stock.

Last edited by Jayro,
Reactions: Henx and osaka35

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I've used the pi 3B as a plex server for 1080p content before. I did only stream on my local network to one device at a time, though. As long as kodi is available on Linux I'm sure it will work fine as a player especially if you don't have to do any streaming.
I want 4K. Today I use an laptop with a 3060m inside as a Jellyfin machine.
But I want native decoding as much as possible, since transcoding can and will degrade the quality.

Reactions: Lodad and Jayro

Bobsy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What would be the most powerful consoles that you can emulate with it? I guess once people start trying how to get most out of the pi5, we might get stable sega Saturn out of it? What else? Ps2?

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
What would be the most powerful consoles that you can emulate with it? I guess once people start trying how to get most out of the pi5, we might get stable sega Saturn out of it? What else? Ps2?
I sincerely doubt we’ll see PS2… From what I’ve seen so far, we’re barely getting higher performance in PSP games. N64 may see a notable buff.

Graxer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It's hard to say at this point, as the emulators that have been tested on it so far from what I have seen in videos were optimised for the Pi 4, and some didn't even launch for that reason.

My guess is that, based on their performance on the Pi 4, dolphin and aethersx2 will work well well once they have stable Pi 5 builds or or there is a stable Android version for the Pi 5, but maybe just GC and not Wii at full speed. I definitely wouldn't expect anything more than that.

SodaSoba

‿︵‿︵‿︵ヽ(°□° )ノ‿︵‿︵‿︵‿
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Considering a fire stick does better hvec decoding than my crappy "smart" TV I wonder how it would handle a large movie... the biggest limiting factor for my TV is slow ethernet and slow wifi
Even with a ethernet adapter on a fire stick it stutters now & then with a 100gb+ 4k movie

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto