If you could choose between 720p60 or 1080p30?

Vote

• 720p60

Votes: 122 78.2%
  • 1080p30

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • 1440p15

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 1p1

Votes: 16 10.3%

• Total voters

Hungry Friend

It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
720/60. Less input lag and much MUCH smoother motion is worth sacrificing resolution and graphical quality as a whole imo.(for example, fighting games HAVE to be 60fps) If the game is a turn-based RPG or something I may choose 1080p/30 because quick reflexes wouldn't be as important, but generally speaking 60fps is preferable. I kinda envy people that can't tell the difference between 30 & 60fps because it's fucking night and day for me, and my vision isn't even that great.

games with slow or almost inexistant motions (pre-rendered background, still pictures etc.), 1080p looks really nice. Castlevania Lords of shadow 1 looked gorgeous in 1080p.
Games based on Real time 3D environment or high speed (FPS, action, cars, etc.) should focus on frame rate.

But, for me, 30fps is already very nice. games sometime drops below.

Good point. A consistent framerate is incredibly important. imo, a SOLID 30fps usually beats games with higher overall framerates that aren't consistent/dip frequently.

edit: dammit, made the mistake of not looking at the date of the last post. My mistake.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dammit, made the mistake of not looking at the date of the last post. My mistake.

Eh, the last post was only a bit over a week ago. I doubt anyone will care. It's not like you necroed a thread from 2008.

I tend to agree. That's one of my major problems I had with Sonic Colors. Once it got to a decent speed, it felt like you were playing a blurry slideshow. I might check it out again on Dolphin to see if I can get better performance out of it.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would you want a 25% reduction in speed? And 1080p vs. 1080i is almost impossible to differentiate.

It's a reduction in speed compared to 720p60fps, but an increase from 1080p30fps. I was splitting the difference, and as a joke at that. Woosh, right over your head.

Hungry Friend

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is pretty funny that many people actually believe the human brain can't distinguish between 30 and 60fps. I must be a demigod or something because it's immediately obvious to me.

In all seriousness, I'm not very picky about graphics so 60fps/better gameplay all the way unless it's a game that doesn't require quick reactions, and even then I'm kinda torn. A consistent 30 is usually alright though.

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

Voted on this yesterday but I didn't really have anything to say then.
720p, to me, is just right. I also like having a very smooth frame rate when I can.
I always use 720p60 on YouTube when I get to, 1080p60 makes my computer lag too much, anyways, and I can't really tell the difference between 720p and 1080p. They pretty much look the same to me.

Hungry Friend

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can tell the difference but it's not like 720p looks horrendous or anything. Art direction trumps things like resolution in my view anyway. Games like Okami on the PS2 still look gorgeous despite being low res with tons of jaggies. I know I'm going a little OT but if a game's art direction is good I'd much rather it perform well than be at a higher res. Despite being able to tell the difference, I agree that 720p is usually more than good enough.

Where I'm really torn is if I had to choose between a game that runs at 60fps 90% of the time at 720p but dips when there's a lot of shit on screen VS a rock solid 30 at a higher res. Things like framerate dips and screen tearing do bother me a bit and the fact that it depends on the game further complicates the issue. All shooters, racing and fighting games should run at 60fps imo.(probably mised a genre or 2 but you get my point)

Reactions: Deleted User

2Hack

HYPiavelli
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Canada
The current gaming consoles SHOULD be able to do 4K 60 (Probably even higher), for their price, but...
They're really not that expensive tbh. And not really. And it's an unreasonable expectation.

4K TVs/monitors haven't really picked up. 1080 is the nicest resolution/price combo ATM.

400$ isn't really gonna get you a nice gaming PC, but it will get you a nice PS4. At that price, it does everything it should in terms of gaming. More consistent 1080/60fps will come in time; once ps4 games start to be more optimized.

Why would they invest into making them 4k res supporting, when no one really cares about that right now.

Reactions: Margen67

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
LOL, my friend has a $500 gaming PC and a 4K TV, it can play certain games at max resolution and 60+ FPS.

Very very very few games and most probably not on very high or ultra settings.

Really, just admit you're wrong lol. Its no big deal.

When 4K is possible on ultra/very high on PCs using a single graphics card (and in a 500-600$ budget), home consoles should do that. I think next-gen is their best bet.

1080p vs 720p @ 60FPS comes down to the graphical fidelity and effects users want (tesselation, high quality textures etc.). Its hard for the video game companies given no one now wants to sell at a loss after the PS3.

The only company which I think could possibly do 4K is Nintendo first party titles if they release a powerful console hardware wise because their developers and aesthetics for their games could pull it off. Now that would REALLY raise the bar. However, it won't happen.

Reactions: Margen67

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKyNPg7UIIc