need help choosing a tv

kaitlin459

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok so heres the lay of the land: i live in a small studio apartment here in arizona. i have a 32 inch vizio led tv that i use for game systems that require hdmi such as my ps3 ps4 etc. i also use it for my Wii, i want to get a second tv for systems that use av inputs, such as my nes snes n64 saturn and PS2 to name a few. and im not sure if i wanna go the route of a crt tv, since people here in az want $100+ for a decently sized crt tv with av inputs. so i thought maybe i should go for 720p or 1080p led tv, since most of the systems i wanna use didnt go any higher than either 240p im wondering if 1080p would be to much in terms of visual quality or if 720p wont be enough thoughts if it matters i will be using the yellow red and white av inputs

i do have a commodore 1702 monitor i can use but its only 13 inches which makes ps2 and dreamcast games look kinda meh due to its small size the reason i weant a second tv is so i dont have to keep plugging and unplugging a game system every time i wanna use another one this way i can have one tv for retro stuff and a second tv for non retro current gen/hdmi stuff so what do you recommend i do

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If decent sized CRT without AV is a thing you could go the VCR route (or just the adapter) as many of those come with nice adapter options.

I am also still seeing some earlier LCDs in charity shops (the sorts of things that replaced the nice "flat" widescreen CRTs for people that now command a serious premium) and other places you get cheap tat. Many of those will have nice inputs, still be low enough latency and not take up the sorts of space. If it is broken you might also be able to sort it by replacing the capacitors still (even if they are just before the capacitor plague it is likely still going to be them doing the deed) and be even cheaper.

Upscalers built into things can add some latency, and might not be the nice nearest neighbour as much as some bilinear or bicubic boring upscaling to make it look less than ideal (though it goes deeper http://bogost.com/games/a_television_simulator/ ). You can buy external upscalers (retrotink might not be the best but it is a good jumping off point).
Some of those systems also have modern output upgrades (real upgrades, not just someone slapped a HDMI converter in a lead) to better things still like RGB output or higher colours if that sort of thing interests you.

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Keep a eye out on fb buy sell and trade, lots of $15 or free sets pop up at least in my area. I got a 36 inch with component tand s video for free on there. Also check local shops, i still have a local thrift store with tons of crt's, they been there so long not sure how many still work. Or if you can hold out a bit i am gonna write up a guide for using old tv tubes with arcade tube boards and a gbs control to make a poor mans PVM, it will work with some crt tubes that don't have inputs other than coaxial since it replaces the crt's board completely.

Last edited by wolffangalchemist,

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok so heres the lay of the land: i live in a small studio apartment here in arizona. i have a 32 inch vizio led tv that i use for game systems that require hdmi such as my ps3 ps4 etc. i also use it for my Wii, i want to get a second tv for systems that use av inputs, such as my nes snes n64 saturn and PS2 to name a few. and im not sure if i wanna go the route of a crt tv, since people here in az want $100+ for a decently sized crt tv with av inputs. so i thought maybe i should go for 720p or 1080p led tv, since most of the systems i wanna use didnt go any higher than either 240p im wondering if 1080p would be to much in terms of visual quality or if 720p wont be enough thoughts if it matters i will be using the yellow red and white av inputs

i do have a commodore 1702 monitor i can use but its only 13 inches which makes ps2 and dreamcast games look kinda meh due to its small size the reason i weant a second tv is so i dont have to keep plugging and unplugging a game system every time i wanna use another one this way i can have one tv for retro stuff and a second tv for non retro current gen/hdmi stuff so what do you recommend i do

What is the maximum size TV you can place?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto