Gaming Hardware Misc My (Realistic) Expectations for the next Nintendo System

MayorBryce

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering there's a good chance the next system is coming out this year and/or will be announced, here's my realistic expectations for the system. Take this with a grain of salt.
  • The console itself
    • I think the form factor will be very similar to the Switch. The console/handheld design is what drew in a lot of people, and I think they'll stick with it. The design will be more ergonomic and be similar to the OLED Switch: decent kickstand and speakers, mainly.
    • The handheld resolution will be an LCD 720p60. 720p looks fine on the smaller screen and upping the resolution won't be their top priority.
    • Other than that, a 720p60 camera and a microphone will be brought back.
  • Performance
    • I think the next Switch will support 4k docked. This does not mean most games will run at 4k. Most Nintendo games will target either 1080p or 1440p, depending on the type of game. For example, a game like Pikmin or Zelda will target 1080p, while something like Mario Kart will run at 1440p.
    • The 4k Docked resolution will be primarily used by pixel art and other games that aren't performance-hungry.
    • Like I mentioned earlier, 720p will be the handheld resolution and it will be expected most games hit that resolution.
    • While I can't predict CPU/GPU specs, since this will depend on the chip and how much the Switch is underclocked, I believe the next system will have 8GB of memory, 1GB of which will be allocated to the system. This gives Nintendo some room for their OS while insuring current-gen games run well.
    • The chip will support DLSS 3.0, allowing upscaling and frame generation. This will be used so graphics-intensive games can hit an acceptable resolution and framerate, while already well-performing games can hit 1440p or 4k resolutions, whichever the developers are targeting.
    • 64GB of internal storage will be included with the system, along with a MicroSD card slot. Unfortunately, I don't think external hard drives will be supported, as the system can be undocked at any time and lose access to the hard drive.
  • Backward Compatibility
    • The next system will be backwards compatible with all previous Switch games... with some caveats. It'll do so by entering a sort of "vSwitch", similar to vWii, ensuring perfect compatibility with Switch games by emulating with hardware the original architecture.
    • This mode will be locked to 1080p. Unfortunately, there is simply too much work to simply remove resolution caps across the board for all games, as this could break compatibility.
    • However, for games using dynamic resolution, they will run at maximum resolution.
    • Developers can also push patches for games to run at native 1080p on the next system, while performing the same on the current Switch.
  • Upgrade patches
    • Select first-party titles on the Switch will be carried over to the next system to run natively. Digital owners can download their games, and the games will be upgraded and recompiled to run at higher resolutions.
      • For example, TOTK will use a dynamic resolution and max out at a sub-1440p resolution, than use DLSS to hit 1440p.
      • I think Pokemon will be interested in recompiling Pokemon SV to not run like a terrible mess, hitting their standard of 1080p30 and maybe upping the draw distance.
      • Mario Kart 8 will be recompiled to run at a max of 1440p60.
      • Pikmin 4 will run at max at sub-1440p resolutions.
      • Splatoon 3 will max at 1440p60.
    • For physical owners, players can download their games and play them at higher resolutions. The game cartridge must be inserted to play, however, to prevent piracy.
      • Alternatively, Nintendo could read the cartridge ID, add the game to your account, and then prevent anyone from playing the upgraded version on another account.
  • First-year games
    • Given Mario Odyssey's success, I think a 3D Mario will be released at some point within the first year.
    • A 2D Zelda remake will also be available shortly after release.
    • Nintendo will wait to launch the next Mario Kart, given how recently the Booster Course Pass was released. The lack of a new Mario Kart, however, will push Nintendo to release one shortly after the first year.
    • Splatoon will be in the same boat, and will also wait a year or two to release the next one.
    • The next Smash will come out with maybe a quarter of the roster of what Ultimate has and will update to add fighters over time.
    • Animal Crossing will get a new release and update to add more content over time.
Anyway, that's it. Am I being too hopeful? Idk. I feel like, considering the PS5 and Series X are pushing for 4k graphics, Nintendo targeting 1440p seems reasonable.

Don't yell too much in the comments please.
Post automatically merged:

Edit: I just had the thought: theoretically, backward compatibility could also work by downclocking the CPU, GPU, and memory to that of the Switch and adjusting the internal resolution to 1080p, allowing perfect compatibility while not requiring a vWii-like mode.

Last edited by MayorBryce,
Reactions: BigOnYa

Ethelbert

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
You forgot that Metroid Prime 4 will be a launch title, with a less impressive version for the first Switch also coming out.

MayorBryce

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You forgot that Metroid Prime 4 will be a launch title, with a less impressive version for the first Switch also coming out.
First of all, we haven’t heard about Metroid Prime 4 in a while. I’m not gonna predict we get it until we hear more. Meanwhile, Nintendo has pretty consistently put out these games.

I also realized, Pokémon will put out a new game within the first year on the new system.

Second, if by “less impressive” you mean lower resolution, probably. I think all the content will be present, but due to lower performance of the Switch, it’ll run at a lower resolution.

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Words say that they delayed the release on March 2025, they're taking measures to minimize the risk of shortage and resale. Info backed up by lots of people (and reliable). Features a 6.2 inch screen for the standard model (previous rumors said there would be 2 models so I guess we'll see ? Maybe the standard is LCD and the other is OLED since we definitely know there's an LCD production company working with Nintendo for an unannounced console)

You talk a lot about higher resolution but you completely omitted the possible support for DLSS. ToTK runs with FSR (2 iirc). Upscaling tech will definitely allow the Switch 2 to put some games at least in 2k, maybe 4k30fps for some but I'm not too sure.

MayorBryce

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
6.2in screen wouldn't be terrible. I really like the size of the OLED, but it could be worse. Although I doubt they'll have the OLED model available at launch.

You talk a lot about higher resolution but you completely omitted the possible support for DLSS.
I think you missed about half my post. I talked about how DLSS will be used to get games that don't run great to run at higher resolutions.

"Select first-party titles on the Switch will be carried over to the next system to run natively. Digital owners can download their games, and the games will be upgraded and recompiled to run at higher resolutions. For example, TOTK will use a dynamic resolution and max out at a sub-1440p resolution, than use DLSS to hit 1440p." - Upgrade patches section

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yeah sorry I omitted 3 lines out of your 6 lines post
You said you think it would support 4K docked. Just thought it was pertinent to add « with upscaling » because I don't think it'll be possible without it.

Last edited by LightBeam,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto