Konami confirms Switch port of Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection will run at 30fps

Untitled.png

With the release date of the Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection Volume 1 fast approaching, Konami has shared a few new details about the compilation pack. The games within the collection will target running at 1080p resolution, at 60fps, for every platform except the Nintendo Switch. This means that the PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, PC, and even the newly announced PlayStation 4 versions of the games will run at 60fps--which the original Bluepoint remasters did on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3--while the Nintendo Switch version will attempt to hit 1080p/30fps while docked, and 720p/30 in handheld mode.

:arrow: Source

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so when they say "port", do they mean "emulated"? because not sure why else it'd be so slow.

the switch is more powerful than a 360 or ps3. these games were ps1 and ps2. i know the switch is underpowered for today's games, but y'all acting like the original Spyro would tax it or something.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
switch can't even run a 12 year old game at stable fps how pathetic! :rofl:
time to ditch the tablet and make a REAL console nintendo your the laughing stock of 3rd parties!

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And don't forget you'll still have to download a lot despite buying the physical version of the Switch.
Post automatically merged:

Twin Snakes is the gamecube version right? I'm curious if it runs at 60 fps there because if does then Wii U does what Switch don't.
Yep, it's the GCN game.

If Konami had ported/remastered for this release people would be able to enjoy and experience it, but denying so, the only two options are: A) Buy an overpriced used copy, B) Pirate it.

I pick B.

Reactions: zfreeman and Jayro

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

With the release date of the Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection Volume 1 fast approaching, Konami has shared a few new details about the compilation pack. The games within the collection will target running at 1080p resolution, at 60fps, for every platform except the Nintendo Switch. This means that the PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, PC, and even the newly announced PlayStation 4 versions of the games will run at 60fps--which the original Bluepoint remasters did on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3--while the Nintendo Switch version will attempt to hit 1080p/30fps while docked, and 720p/30 in handheld mode.

:arrow: Source
Worth noting that these are based off of the HD collection releases. Those ran at 60fps on the 360. So this comes down to Konami not wanting to optimize the game for the hardware.

Last edited by Ryab,
  • Wow
Reactions: Marc_LFD

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm curious if it runs at 60 fps there because if does then Wii U does what Switch don't.
*Steam Deck (through emulation).
Post automatically merged:

I don't see anyone wanting this, apart from maybe some of the younger Switch owners who never played these games, and also 'cause they only have a Switch (can't play it elsewhere). Still that doesn't mean they'll be that much eager to get this collection..

Last edited by CoolMe,

Games Xtreme

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
gamesxtremes-gaming-and-modding.blogspot.de
XP
Country
Germany
95% of the time it ran at constant 30fps.
In some corridors, it could rise at 60fps (like at 4:00)
Sometimes, the frame rate would dip below 30fps too. (3:29)

I doubt it's a problem of RAM size (unless they're using inefficient middlewares and/or emulators, which it's likely)

Switch has 8 times more memory than PS Vita (which runs a HD port of 2&3) and 128 times PS2's amount of RAM.
Maybe the problem is memory bandwith... or, like I mentioned before, the middleware designed for next-gen consoles wasted too much CPU/GPU power to guarantee 1080p60 / 720p60

The cartridge only has 2,4 GB of data, which it's the launcher and little more.
To play any game you have to download its data separately (24,1 GB in total)
Not even the old MSX games are included in the cartridge.

Thanks for the info. Looked it up at other places on the internet, and then cancled my preorder.
Couldn't have thought they cheaped out on the cartridge.
So then that means install the GOG versions on my Steam Deck, play the original versions on their dedicated consoles or emulate it on devices that support it.
If they are digital on sale, then maybe, but not for a almost empty cartridge 60€

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they are digital on sale, then maybe, but not for a almost empty cartridge 60€
If people truly want the full game on a cartridge, they'd need to pay a premium price.

Daniel Ahmad (exZhuge I think is his handle on Twitter) is an industry analyst whose opinions are usually trusted on these sorts of things. Back in 2018 he talked about it for a bit. Physical storage for games is sold bundled up with the licensing costs. According to him, a 32GB Switch cart cost 60% more than a 50GB PS4 disc. So it was coming out as something bonkers like 22 dollars of a 60 dollar game was going to Nintendo, as opposed to the like 13-14ish that would go to Sony or Microsoft for an equivalent version. This is why so many games get the, "8GB cart and the rest is a download," treatment. Because apparently 8GB carts are sold for the same price as a 50GB PS4 blu-ray, so publishers are getting the same profit margin on both versions of the game.

Now like I said, this was back around 2018 and early 2019 that he was having this conversation so prices have probably been dropping since then, which was why CDPR was able to work with Nintendo to get TW3 on to a single 32GB cart. But now we have Covid coming and fucking everything up.

Couldn't the Switch have used SD cards and lock them for retail use-only? That'd have been way cheaper!

Games Xtreme

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Germany
If people truly want the full game on a cartridge, they'd need to pay a premium price.
If there is an option to pay for a cartridge with all the content but the only option is for a near empty cartridge for 60 €.
Also companys want to have maximum profit for minimum effort.
Switch cartridges are more expensive to produce then a bluray, so if companys want to port to the switch they have to keep this in mind.
If they want they could release them digital-only, but to produce a almost empty cartridge is only e-waste and has no purpose.

Games Xtreme

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Germany
Code in a Box and almost empty cartridges need to stop.
They should release the games physical or digital only.
Or a physical release sometime later after the inital release with all patches included as special collectors edition.
And the must be clear what they deliver. It hasn't be our part to investigate if they want to rip us off.:angry:

Reactions: CaliousKai

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto