[UPDATE] Metal Gear Solid 3 remake announced for PS5, Xbox Series X|S and Steam; MGS Master Collection vol. 1 also coming this Autumn

Announced during today's PlayStation Showcase were a pair of upcoming Metal Gear Solid re-releases. The long-rumoured Metal Gear Solid 3 remake will be coming under the title Metal Gear Solid∆: Snake Eater, while the first three Metal Gear Solid titles will be released this fall under the name Metal Gear Solid Master Collection vol. 1. The collection misses notable previous-generation titles like Metal Gear Solid 4 and Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker (which was included in previous MGS HD collections), leaving room open for a possible volume 2 down the road.

The graphic for the Master Collection uses the box art for MGS 2: Sons of Liberty and MGS 3: Snake Eater, rather than their expanded re-releases Substance and Subsistence. It's worth noting, however, that the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection released in 2011 also used the original release's box art while being based on and including features from the expanded versions.

No other details have been announced, such as the developer or what non-PlayStation platforms may be targeted. However, the announcement today lines up perfectly with recent rumours that said these releases would have a marketing agreement with Sony but would also be coming to Xbox and PC. Notably, neither announcement made any claims of platform exclusivity.

photo_2023-05-24_18-02-34.jpg

:arrow: Source (MGS Delta)
:arrow: Source (MGS Master Collection)

[UPDATE] A teaser website has gone live for the MGS3 remake. It features a message from the development team, and specifies that Metal Gear Solid Delta will be coming to PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S and PC via Steam. Metal Gear Solid Delta will "faithfully reproduce the story and game design of MGS3, whilst adding new elements too."

The teaser website for the Master Collection features the same message from the developer, but does not explicitly state which platforms the Master Collection will be coming to. It also lists the three games already announced with a fourth spot that says "Stay tuned for more information."

We thank you and sincerely appreciate your continuous support.

Currently, the development team are working together to create an environment where fans can experience and enjoy the METAL GEAR series on the latest platforms.

We are remaking Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, one of the most beloved instalments of the METAL GEAR series, revealing the origin story of Snake, as METAL GEAR SOLID Δ: SNAKE EATER. We are working hard for METAL GEAR SOLID Δ: SNAKE EATER to be a faithful recreation of the original story and game design, while evolving the gameplay with stunning visuals and a seamless user experience.

Simultaneously, we will deliver the METAL GEAR SOLID: MASTER COLLECTION series, the most complete compilation that celebrates the 35th anniversary of the series. The METAL GEAR SOLID: MASTER COLLECTION allow fans to play the games as they were, as first released on the latest platforms.

We hope you will enjoy the METAL GEAR series on the latest platforms.

[UPDATE 2] Microsoft Tweeted out an image of various games featured in the PlayStation Showcase today. Metal Gear Solid Delta was included but the Master Collection was absent. This doesn't confirm exclusivity, of course, but it's noteworthy.

[UPDATE 3] The listing for the Master Collection vol. 1 is up on the PlayStation Store now, and it says the original MSX titles will also be included in the Master Collection. It also says the versions of Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 will be based off of the HD Collection, meaning they should retain the extra content from Substance and Subsistence. Metal Gear Solid will also include the VR missions.

It also notes that there will be "minimal edits to copyrighted contents," likely referring to the archival war footage in 2 and 3 that caused Konami to delist the titles digitally in November of 2021.

[UPDATE 4] Konami has confirmed that MGS Delta will feature the original "character voices" from Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, meaning the return of David Hayter as Snake after he was recast in MGSV. It is unclear currently whether the original audio will be reused, or if the cast is returning to record new audio.

relauby

Idiot Child
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
also SHIT IT'S COMING TO STEAM???

Oh, I think that message also implies the Master Collection is coming to other consoles too.
It implies it, yeah, but I don't want to post that definitively unless it's explicit. I made sure to include all the information so people could make their own assumption about whether the Master Collection is coming to everything, but it's still better not to say something for sure if you don't know. Just being safe.

Reactions: James_

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It implies it, yeah, but I don't want to post that definitively unless it's explicit. I made sure to include all the information so people could make their own assumption about whether the Master Collection is coming to everything, but it's still better not to say something for sure if you don't know. Just being safe.
Not sure if their was a quick update to the page
Screenshot_20230524_165743_Brave.jpg

misread just gonna go back to hiding under my box.

Last edited by K3Nv2,
Reactions: relauby

James_

aka Underscore_ or 'that Meowstic guy'
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, that's fair enough.

Reactions: relauby

Loonelywolf

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I think the will remake the others to,and then start a new story.they are coming back again with great games.i just dont see the point on releasing another collection again for the franchaise.

Leqz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
i wonder if the remake is actually gonna be good without kojima
Didn't Kojima deliberately make sure that MGS Twin Snakes was slightly different than the original, thus not making it the definitive version. I think he did not even like the concept of remaking things to begin with, not just with his stuff

Tex_McBladeSword

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the case of this game, [Delta] is almost certainly meaning Gene-Deletion, Philosophical Determinacy, or maybe the Uncertainty Principle rather than the number 4. Despite having nothing to do with Kojima anymore, it's really the most Kojima-esque name they couldve chosen

Reactions: James_

Moon164

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I expect the Metal Gear collection to come to Nintendo Switch, I understand the MGS3 remake not coming as they are focusing on next-gen consoles, but I see no reason why the old games can't come.

Come on... until GTA Trilogy reached the console.

Reactions: Mike_77712

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Vol. 1" so there's hope they'll port other MGS games.
Post automatically merged:

I expect the Metal Gear collection to come to Nintendo Switch, I understand the MGS3 remake not coming as they are focusing on next-gen consoles, but I see no reason why the old games can't come.

Come on... until GTA Trilogy reached the console.
PS5 and Xbox Series X are next gen? lol

They're current-gen.

Reactions: ZeroFX

relauby

Idiot Child
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So here's an interesting new wrinkle to the question of whether the Master Collection is coming to other platforms. Microsoft Tweeted out this image of games from the showcase that will be coming to Xbox platforms. The MGS3 remake is in there, but the Master Collection isn't. Interesting.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Mike_77712

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ehh. Call me selfish, but I'm a bit worried the collection portion might be a PS exclusive. Can't say I'd be surprised either. Keep in mind that the Castlevania Requiem collection still hasn't been ported from ps4/5....maybe I'm just overthinking

James_

aka Underscore_ or 'that Meowstic guy'
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.