Hacking Guide to making r200 Devolution working on WiiU?

Dimensio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@topic: I'm going to use this chance to plug this tutorial I've written. :)

Dimensio: haven't tested myself, but this link and some below that could give a decent answer to your post. :)

That's already the method that I'm using. USB Loader GX looks in sd:/apps/gc_devo for Devolution, and HBC will load it from there also. Loading GC games from the loader works on my Wii console, but not on my Wii U. If I run Devolution directly from HBC on the Wii U, however, I can launch anything on sd:/games that I have already authenticated to my Wii remote on my original Wii console.

It's the same SD card and the same USB storage, swapped between systems, so I know that isn't the problem. Initiating Devolution from USB Loader GX seems to kill the connection to the Wii remote, unless I'm doing something wrong.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would you find playing NES ROMs on your computer as horrid, and needing of AntiPiracy? No. NES is a dead system. As is the Gamecube.

There is a difference between the NES and the GameCube. For example, the ability to pirate Wind Waker might affect whether or not people buy the Wii U remake of Wind Waker that comes out later this year.

That being said, the AP in Devolution is a mess and should be done away with, and I would never recommend this software to anyone. The sheer inconvenience required for the use of this software, not to mention the number of retail game owners it locks out, outweighs any potential benefit from what's essentially DRM.

Oshtoby

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a difference between the NES and the GameCube. For example, the ability to pirate Wind Waker might affect whether or not people buy the Wii U remake of Wind Waker that comes out later this year.

That being said, the AP in Devolution is a mess and should be done away with, and I would never recommend this software to anyone. The sheer inconvenience required for the use of this software, not to mention the number of retail game owners it locks out, outweighs any potential benefit from what's essentially DRM.

The ability to pirate Super Mario Bros. 2 might affect whether or not people buy the Wii U Virtual Console version of Super Mario Bros. 2 that came out earlier this year.

Your point?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The ability to pirate Super Mario Bros. 2 might affect whether or not people buy the Wii U Virtual Console version of Super Mario Bros. 2 that came out earlier this year.

Your point?

My point was that while the consoles are dead, the games are not necessarily dead, and piracy can still be detrimental (as opposed to a scenario in which it wouldn't be possible to pay developers for a game). Your Super Mario Bros. example also exemplifies this.

TheChield

Ugly Troll
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello,
I come here because I'm not able to solve my problem by myself and didn't find any solution somewhere else...
I launched succesfully all my backups on my Wii but some of them refuse to start on Wii U.
All of them start with any need of disc insertion on Wii (all are verified on the Wii)
The games that don't start are Zelda WW, Mario sunshine and Pitfall the lost expedition. Everything's OK with Mario kart DD, zelda collector (both OOT and retro), Luigi's mansion...
Thank you for ypur help !

KnuxTheFox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It said on the README, WiimoteS. You can verify a game with more than 1 WiiMote, that his what I did to make sure that all my wiimotes will work with it
I can't figure this out. I used CleanRip to rip four GC games, and have run all four on my Wii, they all needed the disc for the first run, then were able to boot without the disc. I've then moved the USB to my Wii U, synced the same Wiimote to the Wii U and run Devolution again and the games never boot. Nothing flashes or anything. I get the blinking light on the Wiimote, but none of the 4 games ever load.

Brand Newman

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
Also, the friggin' thing freezes half the time after playing for, like, ten minutes.

Hello, do you happen to have a real gamecube memory card on your wii like I do? I too have experimented the freezes when using devolution, so I tried to change several settings (like timing correction), but it wasn't until recently I used memory card emulation instead of real memory card.

So far no freeze, and since I suppose most of people writing here are using their gamecube games on their Wii U (which implies they're not using a real GC memory card), it might be the reason you and I are the only few who met that thing ?

Maybe you should try to copy your savegame by using GCMM (choose "raw save", then rename the file on your USB/SD to "memcard.bin", and paste it in the gc _devo folder on your USB driver), and let us know if you still are experiencing freezes ?

Regards.

(PS : excuse me for the mistakes I might have done by writing, I'm not English)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Dem 🥜 s +1