Trophies
Website
www.startpage.com
XP
Country
United States
Google is going to kill uBlock Origin in June 2024

RIP uBlock Origin? Google Proceeds With Plan to Shake Up Chrome Extensions

https://www.pcmag.com/news/rip-ublock-origin-google-proceeds-with-plan-to-shake-up-chrome-extensions

The company is slated to phase out older 'Manifest V2' Chrome extensions in June, meaning an end to the existing version of uBlock Origin, a popular ad blocker for the browser.

1700342108904.png

If you’re a fan of ad blockers, prepare for some change: Google is resuming a plan to phase out older Chrome extensions, including the one for uBlock Origin.

The phaseout will start in June 2024, when Google begins disabling older Chrome extensions built with the “Manifest V2” system. “Users impacted by the rollout will see Manifest V2 extensions automatically disabled in their browser and will no longer be able to install Manifest V2 extensions from the Chrome Web Store,” the company says.

For now, the phaseout will only cover Manifest V2 extensions installed on beta versions of Chrome, including the Dev and Canary builds. Google didn't say when it will start disabling Manifest V2 extensions in the stable release of Chrome.

Google adds: “We will gradually roll out this change, gathering user feedback and collecting data to make sure Chrome users understand the change and what actions they can take to find alternative, up-to-date extensions.”

Still, the news is sparking worries for fans of uBlock Origin on Chrome. “By disabling support for MV2, Google will be pushing even more ads, tweeted Tuta, the encrypted email provider.

For years now, Google has been trying to wind down Manifest V2 in favor of Manifest V3, which is designed to offer better security for Chrome extensions. But the effort has been met with resistance from ad-block providers since Manifest V3 can also restrict access to content filtering on the Chrome browser.

A year ago, Google decided to halt winding down Manifest V2 amid complaints from developers. But on Thursday, the company said it would resume the phaseout, except this time with several enhancements to Manifest V3. This includes “improving content filtering support by providing more generous limits in the declarativeNetRequest API for static rulesets and dynamic rules.”

The ongoing changes have been met with a positive response from ad-block provider AdGuard. Earlier this month, AdGuard CTO Andrey Meshkov discussed Google’s progress on V3, noting the company has been listening and incorporating feedback from third-party developers. “Despite losing a small part of their functionality, ad blockers will still be able to offer nearly the same quality of filtering that they demonstrated with Manifest V2,” Meshkov said.

“In short: we haven’t finished our work yet, but there is definitely light at the end of the tunnel. The MV3 blocker prototype already shows good filtering quality,” he added.

The developers of uBlock Origin also created a version of the software that's designed to work with Manifest V3. So the ad blocker won't be dead on Chrome. Called uBlock Origin Lite, the extension has so far received positive reviews. Nevertheless, there’s still debate on if the Manifest V3 edition of uBlock Origin will offer the same quality as the original.

Bob Pony
@TheBobPony

Some others have said there's a Manifest V3 of uBlock Origin, known as uBlock Origin Lite (uBOL).

Well there's bad news, it's not the same!

Limitations:
No importing of third-party filter lists
No element picker
No strict-blocked pages
No per-site switches
No dynamic filtering

Please shout out to everyone about Google is going to kill support off on uBlock Origin (add on) for Google Chrome in June 2024. Affect all operating systems like Windows, Linux and Mac OS.

Remember Google still fighting against all Block ads extensions add on Google Chrome, Firefox, etc for YouTube? That's one!

I think we maybe have to block Google Chrome auto updates or/and switch to Brave, Firefox, etc on June 2024 and after.

If Google company is going to delete or pull out uBlock Origin from Google web store (add on) server in near future then we have to download add on (crx files) from crx4chrome website:

https://www.crx4chrome.com

uBlock Origin

1700397058275.png

https://www.crx4chrome.com/extensions/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm/

Adblock Plus

1700397110865.png

https://www.crx4chrome.com/extensions/cfhdojbkjhnklbpkdaibdccddilifddb/

AdGuard AdBlocker

1711160758613.png

https://www.crx4chrome.com/crx/31932/

and more different add on on there.

We can do manual add on to Brave, Google Chrome, etc from hard drive, USB thumb drive, etc when Google company delete or pull ad block add on from https://chromewebstore.google.com/ . This crx4chrome website will help a lot of people which looking for to get add on when chrome web store delete or pull out some files or go offline by Google for no reasons.

I find out how to block Google Chrome auto update on Windows (Vista, 7, 8.x, 10, 11 and later like Windows 12, etc) have same path:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Google --> Find folder name is "Update" then rename to "No Update" . If don't work then you have to kill Google services in Task Manager program then work again for rename folder.

1700343690182.png

On Start - type to search for "Services" then click on it and program will start up then go to search for Google Update Service (gupdate and gupdatem) and set Automatic (Delayed Start) to Disabled. Google Chrome will stop auto update and stay on current version forever.

1700343101700.png

Google company is gone crazy and try mess with us and people around the world!

:(

Last edited by console,

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, as mentioned above, I wouldn't advise to stop updating Chrome, because new found vulnerabilities. The most logical thing to do is to use another browser, at least until the problem is fully fixed with Chrome. uBlock Origin is the best gift to mankind since the invention of sliced bread. I've tasted how it feels to browse the web without an adblocker on another computer, and OMG ! :wtf:

Latiodile

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, as mentioned above, I wouldn't advise to stop updating Chrome, because new found vulnerabilities. The most logical thing to do is to use another browser, at least until the problem is fully fixed with Chrome. uBlock Origin is the best gift to mankind since the invention of sliced bread. I've tasted how it feels to browse the web without an adblocker on another computer, and OMG ! :wtf:
the modern internet on slower/older computers is literally unusable without an adblocker, it's kind of nuts how massive the difference is

console

Elvira fans ❤ :-) I'm rocking Windows 7 for 10 yrs
OP
Trophies
Website
www.startpage.com
XP
Country
United States
That's true. If people keep Google Chrome update automatically in June 2024 then uBlock Origin will be gone and deleted automatically then block forever means can't add on back anymore! Yes for another new found vulnerabilities.

Because updates always have both positive and negative which can affect like blocked, deleted, bugs, vulnerabilities and more in different way reasons. Same like Windows updates have automatically on all of times in Windows 10, 11 and later. Windows updates do have both positive and negative in different way.

Brave (Chrome based), Firefox, Waterfox, Palemoon, SeaMonkey, etc (Thorium Browser and Supermium are Chrome based) are way to go.

Opera is Chrome based but have spyware backdoor made by Chinese.

Apple Safari do have spyware backdoor made by Chinese too.

Vivaldi do have spyware backdoor and made in Russia.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Not sure why people keep using that shit
Compatibility, for the most part. The majority of websites don't have issues with Chrome because web applications are now written to cater to it. Your SEO on Google will be dog shit if your site doesn't work well in Chrome, because Google's crawler simulates the Chrome browsing experience. Electron also gives a lot of incentive to write web applications for it. So, you can also blame things like Discord. At least things like Chromium and Brave exist.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Compatibility, for the most part. The majority of websites don't have issues with Chrome because web applications are now written to cater to it. Your SEO on Google will be dog shit if your site doesn't work well in Chrome, because Google's crawler simulates the Chrome browsing experience. Electron also gives a lot of incentive to write web applications for it. So, you can also blame things like Discord. At least things like Chromium and Brave exist.
I hate this game

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So glad I never used chrome, always used firefox since I got my first pc in 2008 and I still use it today. Tried once but I had a pc with 1gb of ram so....

I think you're full of it, because, well, if that was the case you can't tell me you don't remember when Mozilla disabled all legacy add-ons for Firefox in 2018. "So glad I never...." doesn't hold up when the browser you've ALWAYS used did basically the exact same thing that Chrome is doing, which caused a lot of users to ditch Firefox and turn to Chrome or another alternative.

• Haha
Reactions: AkikoKumagara

zekro94

Trophies
XP
Country
I think you're full of it, because, well, if that was the case you can't tell me you don't remember when Mozilla disabled all legacy add-ons for Firefox in 2018. "So glad I never...." doesn't hold up when the browser you've ALWAYS used did basically the exact same thing that Chrome is doing, which caused a lot of users to ditch Firefox and turn to Chrome or another alternative.
The thing is I didn't really use addons till recently, so it didn't affect me. I tried using internet explorer for a while when I first had my pc and after that I downloaded firefox since 1-internet explorer sometimes would get unresponsive and 2-With limited ram I knew I would have problems with chrome since I read so many people talk about it using so much ram.
So no, not really full of it, just telling my experience. I do remember people ditching firefox but I still used it. Sure, it wasn't as it is today, I even remember having problems with themes sometimes but nothing major

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
I use Brave, which is based on Chrome. If I cannot use uBlock Origin, I'll just change browsers.
Why would you need to use uBlock under Brave? It has an ad block engine built in, and uses the exact same filters. I guess the element picker is nice to have, but I'd say Brave users probably don't have much to worry about.

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The thing is I didn't really use addons till recently, so it didn't affect me. I tried using internet explorer for a while when I first had my pc and after that I downloaded firefox since 1-internet explorer sometimes would get unresponsive and 2-With limited ram I knew I would have problems with chrome since I read so many people talk about it using so much ram.
So no, not really full of it, just telling my experience. I do remember people ditching firefox but I still used it. Sure, it wasn't as it is today, I even remember having problems with themes sometimes but nothing major

That's all good. It's just that you originally presented your case as thank goodness I've always used FF because it doesn't have these kind of issues. :)

console

Elvira fans ❤ :-) I'm rocking Windows 7 for 10 yrs
OP
Trophies
Website
www.startpage.com
XP
Country
United States
So, Google Wants Firefox Users to Have a Poor YouTube Experience?

https://news.itsfoss.com/youtube-firefox/

YouTube loads up slower on Firefox, just because Google wants it to or not?

1700653895028.png

It has been just over a month since Mozilla announced that they are collaborating with Google's web services team to improve the user experience.

And, now, we are learning of an interesting phenomenon.

YouTube seems to be loading slower for Firefox users compared to Chrome 🤯

Wait, what? Is that a deliberate thing, or is Chrome a better browser even if Firefox is one of the best browsers? Let me highlight all about what's happening here.

YouTube Pushing Monetization Aggressively
It is no surprise that recently YouTube has been encouraging everyone to allow advertisements or subscribe to YouTube premium.

Of course, with the increase in adblocker options and privacy-focused browsers blocking the ads by default, the ad revenue must have bled significantly.

While all of that is a business side of things, deliberately breaking the YouTube experience for Firefox users, should that be even a thing?

Well, as per numerous Redditors (1, 2), whenever you try to access YouTube videos as a Firefox user, the webpage adds a five-second delay. And, right after you change the user agent using developer tweaks or change the browser, the delay is not observed.

1700653938118.png

Of course, all the users are not making things up. They must have faced the issue.

I tried to reproduce the issue with uBlock Origin extension enabled and disabled, but YouTube worked fine for me. You can try the solution mentioned by uBlock, adding a filter to bypass the delay if you face it.

If you are curious, a Redditor set out to point out to a code in a JavaScript file (polymer js) where they added a five-second delay:

setTimeout(function(){c();a.resolve(1)},5E3);

You can check for yourself. But, we are not sure if this is specifically for Firefox.

To this fiasco, YouTube has provided a statement to AndroidAuthority where they say:

To support a diverse ecosystem of creators globally and allow billions to access their favorite content on YouTube, we’ve launched an effort to urge viewers with ad blockers enabled to allow ads on YouTube or try YouTube Premium for an ad free experience. Users who have ad blockers installed may experience suboptimal viewing, regardless of the browser they are using.

Honestly, this statement sounds more like "we can neither confirm or deny that this piece code targets Firefox users". I do not claim anything, either.

In a nutshell, YouTube means to say that this issue only affects users with adblockers. And, if that is the case, why were the Redditors able to bypass this issue by changing the user agent?

Pretty confusing, isn't it? (or is it supposed to be?)

Polymer JavaScript, Ring a Bell?
Interestingly, TechRadar reported in 2018 that Mozilla's Technical Program Manager accused Google's YouTube redesign making the performance worse for Firefox users.

And, the highlight of the YouTube redesign back then was Google's Polymer technology.

The code that the Redditors pointed out exists in one of the files for that same tech used in YouTube's webpage. Coincidence?

Or, is it that Google has always been hard at work to cleverly dial down the user experience on the competitor browsers like Firefox? 🤦

Google Being Google
Google and its products are constantly in the line of fire when it comes to anticompetitive behavior, privacy, or user-conflicting changes.

Considering YouTube is a major platform, and it can genuinely encourage users unaware to switch from Firefox to Chrome if they face such an issue.

If Google make YouTube slow load on Firefox like 5 seconds.

Use "User Agent switcher" to bypass 5 seconds delayed for Firefox on YouTube.

Any more news, we can add more about Google and Youtube anytime in near future.

Keep fighting against Google and YouTube. B-)

Reactions: ZeroT21

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto