Guide to making r200 Devolution working on WiiU?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by LegendAssassinF, Jul 8, 2013.

1. LegendAssassinF
    OP

LegendAssassinF GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 12, 2012
    United States
    Princeton, New Jersey
    Does anyone have a guide for this yet?

2. neim81094

neim81094 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 15, 2013
    United States
    I think it's the same as the Wii Guide, the thing is, I don't know if the WiiU can even read the discs, it would be interesting to see how Devolution picks it up

3. soulrazor

soulrazor GBAtemp Regular

May 18, 2012
    re-check your games on your wii, have the wiimote that you use on WIIU sync with the wii .install devo on wiiu use hdd with the verified games on your wiiU using one of the wii motes synced during the verification process.
    If you read the readme you get an idea of the procedure, that is far better then my simple explanation.

4. neim81094

Jun 15, 2013
    United States
    You got some games working for the GC on the WiiU?

5. soulrazor

soulrazor GBAtemp Regular

May 18, 2012
    i dont have a wiiu and i dont use devo but downloaded the latest just to check the procedure (aka i read the readme)

6. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    I'll write one later, as I've tested pretty much everything I needed to test. It won't be about the wiiu, although the steps to be performed on a wiiu or a family wii should be pretty much identical.

7. RolandHazoto

RolandHazoto Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 22, 2009
    United States
    Here's your guide.
    You need a Wii.

Step 1: Remove any discs from the Wii.
    Step 2: Launch the Devolution loader app from HBC.
    Step 3: Press Y or X to mount a USB drive or SD card, depending on what you’re using to
    store your games (if using a Wiimote press 1 or 2; if using a Classic Controller press x
    or a).
    Step 4: Use the DPAD to scroll up or down through the .iso files in your /games directory
    until you’ve decided which one to play. Press A (b on a classic controller) to launch it
    and the screen should go blank; a short time later the blue slot led should repeatedly
    flash twice followed by staying off for a few seconds.
    Step 5 (OPTIONAL): If you plan on playing the game on other Wii or WiiU consoles, you will
    need to connect one or more wiimotes to the wii now. If the wiimotes are not currently
    paired with this Wii just press the red sync button on both the wii and the wiimote and
    wait for it to connect. Once connected it should have one light flashing on and off
    repeatedly.
    Step 6: Insert the original Gamecube disc for the game you are loading. The wii should
    read it for a few seconds then the slot led should flash five times.
    Step 7: After a short wait the game should start. If instead Devolution exits back to
    HBC, check to make sure the .iso file is a clean, identical copy of the disc’s data.

Maxternal and neim81094 like this.
  8. neim81094

Jun 15, 2013
    United States
    No one seems to have tested this on the Wii U :unsure: I didn't see anyone confirming or denying that it works.

9. Oshtoby

Oshtoby Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 4, 2006
    United States
    I can confirm it does work on the WiiU, but the antiPiracy method is so dumb, why bother? I have to have the Wiimote I used to authenticate connected to play any specific game. I would not mind this if it was a one time thing. The authentication is not a one time thing. It's an every time thing. It's dumb as hell. I thought it was one time thing, so I used multiple different wiimotes, some games I used one wiimote, and some games I used another to authenticate. Well, now I have to have the right Wiimote connected to play the right game, so it's a damn guessing game.

Also, the friggin' thing freezes half the time after playing for, like, ten minutes. And sometimes, my contoller's inputs just won't be recognized for a couple seconds and then it'll come back. I'm sorry for being so angry about it, but I had huge hopes for this, and was really excited to be able to play the games with the WiiU Pro controller, but no. The guy who coded it has to be a sperglord, and be obsessive about antiPiracy. All the other detriments could be looked over if the AntiPiracy methods weren't there, or even if I didn't have to authenticate with my Wiimote EVERY TIME.

AntiPiracy for games that are no longer in print doesn't help anyone. At all.

bezem, neim81094 and PityOnU like this.
  10. EzekielRage

EzekielRage Hero of the Void

Aug 21, 2012
    Australia
    The Void
    It IS a one time thing - your mistake was using different wiimotes - ALWAYS use the same wiimote because the authentification is connected to the wiimote you use - as stated in the readme, mind you...

11. neim81094

Jun 15, 2013
    United States
    I thought it was a one time authentication thing as well :O and the fact you have to do that you need a specific wii remote is a little annoying, it's GC backups for WiiU though, I will probably wait for Nintendont for crediar to release his version, no AP ;)

12. Oshtoby

Oshtoby Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 4, 2006
    United States
    I want to emphasize, I don't mind AntiPiracy. I don't. I think it's dumb, but I don't mind it. What I do mind is being chained to a Wiimote (which could get lost, stolen, misplaced, broken, batteries drained with no spare batteries, what have you) every time I want to play the game, because someone has their morals in the wrong place.

Would you find playing NES ROMs on your computer as horrid, and needing of AntiPiracy? No. NES is a dead system. As is the Gamecube.

bezem likes this.
  13. EvilMakiPR

EvilMakiPR GBAtemp Addict

Apr 9, 2013
    How about using PS3 and Wii U Pro Controllers? It works?

14. SickPuppy

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    I did the authentication of 100 games, now if I could extract the data from my Wii remote and install it in all of my wii remotes then I wont have to worry about which wii remote to grab. It sure suck to have to authenticate 100 games with all of my wii remotes. Where's that Wii remote data backup tool. Oh nvm, a tool like that could be used for evil.

15. kp_centi

kp_centi GBAtemp Regular

Nov 28, 2010
    United States
    It said on the README, WiimoteS. You can verify a game with more than 1 WiiMote, that his what I did to make sure that all my wiimotes will work with it

16. lupin4

lupin4 Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 23, 2007
    Antarctica
    Sorry I not understand .... I must have an original camegube dvd for launch emulator?

17. [Truth]

[Truth] GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 21, 2006
    Germany
    Mushroom Kingdom
  18. LegendAssassinF
    OP

LegendAssassinF GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 12, 2012
    United States
    Princeton, New Jersey
  19. Dimensio

Dimensio Member

Newcomer
    Aug 28, 2009
    United States
    Am I correct in assuming that Devolution cannot (at present) be used with USB Loader GX on the Wii U? I can run it fine standalone, but when I try launching the same game through USB Loader GX my Wii Remote can no longer talk to the console and the console's disc drive continually makes noise as if waiting to verify a disc that I obviously cannot insert.

20. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium