[Guide] Community noob guide to Wii U hacking

Discussion in 'Wii U - Tutorials' started by Kafluke, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Classicgamer

Classicgamer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 20, 2012
    United States
    my friend wants his wii u setup - i haven't done a wii u since 5.5.1 *just* came out - i have two questions:

would he still have his xenoblade and it's dlc usable or is the wii u wiped clean?

would he still be able to go online and use it like he could before the hack? (haxchi is the plan)

thanks for your help!

2. hemi426

hemi426 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 16, 2018
    Belgium
    if he's on 5.5.3 you can do everything if you haven't blocked it,5.5.2 ore lower(in my case) nnu patcher to acces the eshop ,online also works.don't know if you can play original games with haxchi loaded because i don't enable haxchi with original games but i'me almost 100% certain you can

Classicgamer likes this.
  3. RickyEarl

RickyEarl Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 7, 2006
    So I have had a WiiU hacked through this method for a couple of years now. Tonight the hard drive died-it just clicks. So I have no games or whatever else is installed on the drive anymore. When I replace the drive, is there anything special I need to do other than let the WiiU format it and replace the files?

Thanks

4. RickyEarl

Newcomer
    Nov 7, 2006
    Sorry, 5.5.3 and CBHC. Forgot to say. Used the Helper for the files.

5. Escorpion

Escorpion Balamb Seed

Aug 25, 2015
    Colombia
    Laguna Guatavita
    Nop, just change the hdd and let the Wii U automatically format it.

RickyEarl likes this.
  6. RickyEarl

Newcomer
    Nov 7, 2006
    Thanks!

Escorpion likes this.
  7. Magnus87

Magnus87 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 28, 2013
    Argentina
    f I just want to hack the vWii mode to transfer my saved games back to my real Wii .
    Do I need to hack Wii U mode?

8. Escorpion

Escorpion Balamb Seed

Aug 25, 2015
    Colombia
    Laguna Guatavita
    You don't need to hack the Wii U mode for that. Also, you can hack vWii via WiiU menu with the new browser entry point to homebrew, follow this, Method 1:
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-definitive-vwii-hacking-guide.425852/

Last edited by Escorpion, Apr 15, 2019
    Magnus87 likes this.
  9. pasionporelrojo

pasionporelrojo Member

Newcomer
    Mar 2, 2017
    Hi. Quick question, please.
    I'm pretty noob on wiiu hacking, but I did it loooong ago, with firmware 5.5.1, and now I use WUP Installer for installing games and mocha for launching them.
    I had some trouble with loadiine (now it's working fine), but I readed that firmware 5.5.3 is recomended, so, here comes the stupid question :D Can I only upgrade the firmware and after that WUP, mocha, etc. will keep on working as it does now, or after the upgrade all modifications will be lost and I must rehack console again?

10. Escorpion

Escorpion Balamb Seed

Aug 25, 2015
    Colombia
    Laguna Guatavita
    Well... you have a hacked Wii U only if you have haxchi. But, if you use mocha, i suppose you are using the browser entry point to homebrew right?? Cause with haxchi and Wup installer is no sense to use Loadiine.
    You can update to 5.5.3 and the browser hombrew method will still available, also Wup installer and all.

pasionporelrojo likes this.
  11. pasionporelrojo

pasionporelrojo Member

Newcomer
    Mar 2, 2017
    Yes, I'm using browser to start homebrew, I guess I didn't use the expression "hacked wiiU" right :unsure:.
    If you tell me I can update it and everything will work the same way after that, then it's what I needed to know. :)

12. hemi426

hemi426 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 16, 2018
    Belgium

pasionporelrojo likes this.
  13. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    Ohh, I see we (I ?) should also update that guide to include the new 5.5.2+ exploit.
    thanks for the reminder.

Magnus87 and Escorpion like this.
  14. realNickPDX

realNickPDX Member

Newcomer
    Mar 28, 2018
    United States
    NickPDX#5964
    FAT32 format doesn't let the drive name have capital letters. NTSF does, but that isn't the right format.

15. ca032769

ca032769 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 11, 2012
    United States
    Riverside, CA
    Actually isn't that backwards? If I remember right FAT32 will ONLY let you use capital letters and NOT lower case? Pisses me off every time I format an SD card in FAT32, I hate all capitals.

Edit: After thinking about it for a bit more. Is your reference to the Wii U formatting the card? If it is the Wii U uses it's own proprietary format, it's not FAT32, so the instructions to not use capitals for the Wii U to format it is correct.

Last edited by ca032769, Apr 22, 2019
  16. Classicgamer

Aug 20, 2012
    United States
    Is retroarch the best method for NES/SNES or is VC Injection (Injectine - Wii U VC Injector)? I'd prefer individual icons for each game but only if the emulation is proper (i thought i read VC injection colors are off or something?)

is the WiiVC Injector the best method for GC/Wii? or is the 'old' way i remember best? (it was something like usb loader and directly loading nintendont i think).

is there an up to date guide on these methods?

17. hemi426

hemi426 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 16, 2018
    Belgium
    i use wiivc because it's let you use the wii u gamepad to play gc games (for wii you have to use a wii mote)and you can put them on the same drive as your normal backups.for nes and nes i use retroarch but i already have lots of nes/snes/ds games that i downloaded from the eshop using usb helper.
    wii vc installs the games as individual icons ,you can do something simular with retroarch(core forwarding)but in some cases it gives a black screen.
    your vwii doesn't need to be hacked for wiivc.never had display or performance issues with wiivc .the region of your gave to match the region of your console for max compatibility.i alsolove the fact that you can play gc games just on the gamepad.

videotut(google it):gameincanada pt 9&10 for wiivc injection
    wiivc op: https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-wiivc-injector-script-gc-wii-homebrew-support.483577/
    retroarch guide : https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-use-the-latest-retroarch-on-wii-u.482270/
    for n64 i use wii64 with overclocker: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutoria...e-ps1-n64-games-from-the-wiiu-gamepad.489122/
    i don't use injectine so i can't commit on that
    hope this helps you out a bit

Classicgamer likes this.
  18. Classicgamer

Aug 20, 2012
    United States

it does! thanks! i'm converting what i have using wiivc - it'll be nice to have icons for everything instead of text lists! i'll also use injectine for NES and SNES and let you know how it goes.

finally - if my old wii u is on 5.5.1 with haxchi can i update it and retain haxchi without doing anything? if so do i update with or without cfw running? it feels like updating it without cfw running would retain haxchi so i can re-enable it?

19. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    if you only have haxchi, you can update from 5.5.1 to 5.5.3 officially without problem. you won't have to re-softmod your console. nothing to "re-enable" at all.
    If you have CBHC on a NON-european console, you can also update from 5.5.x to 5.5.3, no issue either, no re-softmod needed.

If you have CBHC on an european console, you can update from 5.5.x to 5.5.3, it will not remove CBHC channel, but it will replace the cold boot information back to system menu, instead of pointing it to CBHC channel (the NDS game you bought).
    you'll have to re-install CBHC to set the cold boot info back to that NDS game. but don't worry, like I said the hack is not deleted and you don't have to follow the full softmod guide again, just launch the "do not touch me!" channel, which is actually CBHC ! then select "boot HBL" and launch CBHC installer from here again.

Classicgamer likes this.
  20. Classicgamer

Aug 20, 2012
    United States
    good info! thanks!

now my next question is... .mkv files: can i watch them on wii u or must i use a vwii media player?