Tutorial  Updated

How to use the latest RetroArch on Wii U

I was going to write up my own tutorial on setting up Retroarch, but behold there already exists such a detailed guide with all the info you need about running Retroarch on the wiiu. Visit this thread: https://gbatemp.net/threads/retroarch-wiiu-wip.447670/

UPDATED FEB 23 2018

Setting up Retroarch is simple, all you gotta do is:

1) Download the latest Retroarch (Should be a file called Retroarch_rpx.7z with the most recent date)
2) Add the XMB menu files to your SD (In SD:/retroarch/media/xmb/ )

However there are two ways of setting up Retroarch.

A) Traditional
The first is the traditional way of loading cores from the retroarch menu then loading a rom for that core. This is for users more familiar with retroarch to begin with.

B) Homebrew Launcher indivisual cores
The second type of setup has you running the cores from Homebrew Launcher indivisually so you won't have to switch cores in retroarch. It'll automatically load up with the core you launched from Homebrew Launcher. Remember that cores are emulators

If you chose to go with the first type of setup, you would open "Retroarch_rpx.7z", then drag the retroarch folder to your SD card's root. It comes with all the cores so you may want to shave off some by deleting the ones you don't want. They're big in size. Then you'll need the retroarch app from wiiu/apps/retroarch. You'll have one single Retroarch app in Homebrew Launcher and can load other cores from retroarch's menu by choosing "Load core"

If you went with the second type of setup, you would open "Retroarch_rpx.7z" then drag the wiiu folder to your SD card. This would come with every core so be sure to delete the ones you don't want to save space. Now when you load Homebrew Launcher, you'll be able to choose which core you want like Snes9x2010 for example. This setup will litter your Homebrew Launcher list with emulators, unless you make use of retro launcher, or rename all the cores to begin its filename with z so that it appears at the end of Homebrew Launcher.

There's also a Retroarch channel, but I wouldn't recommend it as it black screens if you've launched Haxchi for Homebrew Launcher before. Also launching Retroarch channel then trying to launch Haxchi would black screen. They just aren't compatible with each other. You'd have to go to system settings to refresh the system's memory each time and remember what you've launched. It works better if you're a CBHC user and you don't use the mii maker exploit. The channel works just like the first type of setup where you must load the core then load a rom. Which means you must use the retroarch folder from the latest release zip, not the wiiu folder.

Emulator/Core suggestions

SNES: Snes9x2010

NES: FCEUMM

Gameboy: Gambatte

Gameboy Advance: mGBA

Sega Genesis/Mega Drive: GenesisPlusGX

Doom: Prboom (Plays all Doom wads, including Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, Plutonia Experiment, TNT)

Call me basic, I never played any other oldschool systems like the turbogfx or neogeo. But cores for these do exist as well. This isn't a definitive suggestion list so you may prefer another core like Nestopia for example. The cores I use work flawless so I'm okay with it.

Last edited by MattKimura,

sp3off

GBATemp's least active boy
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You are on fire today making all those tutorials ! Nice job ! Actually I've thought you've needed to download ALL the cores in order to make it work xD.

kid sampson

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you! I can finally launch a game now without crashing. Does this version now support box art? If so, do you plan to add directions for adding games to the menus? Is it as simple as scanning for content?

bonoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to know if Mame 2003 Midway has support for two players using WiiU Pro Controller. I have Mortal Kombat games running fine but it just uses Gamepad...

thewhitetyger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, was about to ask about this and you just saved me some time! Thanks a trillion MK!

XMB? DId RetroArch just copy the PS3's Cross Media Bar? I recall the version on the PS3 looks an awful lot like it, but I never thought they would port (pimp?) the GUI to another gaming system. That's gonna be interesting...

Last edited by thewhitetyger,

reminon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, was about to ask about this and you just saved me some time! Thanks a trillion MK!

XMB? DId RetroArch just copy the PS3's Cross Media Bar? I recall the version on the PS3 looks an awful lot like it, but I never thought they would port (pimp?) the GUI to another gaming system. That's gonna be interesting...
Yeah they cloned the look and feel of ps3's xmb.

JV1986

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you SOOOOO much. Seeing that crashing error screen a dozen times was nauseating. This cured it.

Now here is the $64 question...is it, and SHOULD IT be possible to get Neo Geo CD to run on Wii U's Retroarch? Because I went through so many tutorials, and they ALL relate to PC, but not much in the way for Wii U or Wii/vWii.

Just saying...would love to get some of that NGCD on Wii U, and do it up on the gamepad instead of messing with the Wiimote and deal with NeoGeo CD Wii on the Homebrew Channel. also, going back to the question I asked earlier, while checking through tutorials, it says it will work on RA's MAME using MESS BIOS files and NGCD's roms(all in a .CHD file), but I'm not finding any other places to get the .CHD files.

This is still new territory for me with RA on Wii U, while Wii/vWii didn't seem so different(except for NGPC never working whatsoever, and the only stable one for it was from a 1.0.0.2 pack I found for my vWii). Anyway, NGCD...doable or nah?

boxer29

Trophies
XP
Country
thanks for the tutorial ,
when i try to downlaod the file RetroArch XMB files from the google drive link it says you need permission to download , i did request permission but nothing has happened .
can some one sent the file or load it to a diff link .
thanks

carnage781

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please help, I have no idea what happened. I can use my emulators on Homebrew Launcher and it is driving me nuts. Dpad and Analog do nothing and i cant navigate the menus. I can hit + or - buttons on the gamepad to highlight the top or bottom if the menu, and hit R to select quit retroarch which works. How can I get my controller working?

I tried:

1. Deleting retroarch.cfg
2. Deleting and reinstalling emulators
3. Restarting console
4. Erasing and making a new retroarch root folder
5. Adding latest nightly build 12/6/17, added to wiiu/apps

Nothing works, i tried gamepad and wii u pro controller, neither work, but work in anything else. Any ideas? This has left me completely dumbfounded, last time intouched it it worked fine, and it wasnt used and no internet connection in months and now it doesnt do anythinf

Sucht93a

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Could someone maybe re upload the xmb files as the google drive link is not public without permission. would really appreciate it.

And thanks for the tutorial :-)

nastee_nate

Trophies
XP
Country
I am having a terrible hard time with this program. I can load to the XMB without any problem. When I scan directories though, it won't show any files when it is done, so it won't add a new icon on the XMB. I have tried with SNES, NES, GBA, Genesis, and no luck. I've messed with cores and everything. What am I doing wrong? I've downloaded assets, and updated databases. It shows how many files the folder has, but still nothing when it is done. Also, if I use the "load content" and select individual files it will play them without problems. It will even list it in my history after i play it. But i really want to have the xmb section for each system. Someone, Please Save me.

If this is a lost cause, is there at least some way to have an SNES, NES, GBA, etc. loader on the wii u homepage?

Thanks for your time.

Cecilmax

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi, whenever I try to launch retroarch with HBL it freeze in the ps3 style menu...Any idea what Im missing ? :)

I was going to write up my own tutorial on setting up Retroarch, but behold there already exists such a detailed guide with all the info you need about running Retroarch on the wiiu. Visit this thread: https://gbatemp.net/threads/retroarch-wiiu-wip.447670/

UPDATED FEB 23 2018

Setting up Retroarch is simple, all you gotta do is:

1) Download the latest Retroarch (Should be a file called Retroarch_rpx.7z with the most recent date)
2) Add the XMB menu files to your SD (In SD:/retroarch/media/xmb/ )

However there are two ways of setting up Retroarch.

A) Traditional
The first is the traditional way of loading cores from the retroarch menu then loading a rom for that core. This is for users more familiar with retroarch to begin with.

B) Homebrew Launcher indivisual cores
The second type of setup has you running the cores from Homebrew Launcher indivisually so you won't have to switch cores in retroarch. It'll automatically load up with the core you launched from Homebrew Launcher. Remember that cores are emulators

If you chose to go with the first type of setup, you would open "Retroarch_rpx.7z", then drag the retroarch folder to your SD card's root. It comes with all the cores so you may want to shave off some by deleting the ones you don't want. They're big in size. Then you'll need the retroarch app from wiiu/apps/retroarch. You'll have one single Retroarch app in Homebrew Launcher and can load other cores from retroarch's menu by choosing "Load core"

If you went with the second type of setup, you would open "Retroarch_rpx.7z" then drag the wiiu folder to your SD card. This would come with every core so be sure to delete the ones you don't want to save space. Now when you load Homebrew Launcher, you'll be able to choose which core you want like Snes9x2010 for example. This setup will litter your Homebrew Launcher list with emulators, unless you make use of retro launcher, or rename all the cores to begin its filename with z so that it appears at the end of Homebrew Launcher.

There's also a Retroarch channel, but I wouldn't recommend it as it black screens if you've launched Haxchi for Homebrew Launcher before. Also launching Retroarch channel then trying to launch Haxchi would black screen. They just aren't compatible with each other. You'd have to go to system settings to refresh the system's memory each time and remember what you've launched. It works better if you're a CBHC user and you don't use the mii maker exploit. The channel works just like the first type of setup where you must load the core then load a rom. Which means you must use the retroarch folder from the latest release zip, not the wiiu folder.

Emulator/Core suggestions

SNES: Snes9x2010

NES: FCEUMM

Gameboy: Gambatte

Gameboy Advance: mGBA

Sega Genesis/Mega Drive: GenesisPlusGX

Doom: Prboom (Plays all Doom wads, including Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, Plutonia Experiment, TNT)

Call me basic, I never played any other oldschool systems like the turbogfx or neogeo. But cores for these do exist as well. This isn't a definitive suggestion list so you may prefer another core like Nestopia for example. The cores I use work flawless so I'm okay with it.

kisamesama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I managed to get retroarch 1.7.0 working but it damn very slow.. when I open retro app from homebrew browser, the screen is black and it shows something after 1 - 2 minutes.
Every action on retroarch takes tons of time to execute.... I load a content/rom (snes or mame), it takes almost 5 minutes!!! to load... When in game and I go back to retroarch to "close" the content, again 1-2 minutes to go back to retroarch menu.

Closing retroarch also takes 2-3 minutes.... something's obviously wrong.. any clue?

D

Deleted User

So I know you said you can delete the cores you don't want, but when I deleted the cores and wiiu/apps rpx files except for the main RetroArch, it just goes straight back to the Homebrew menu when I launch it.

When I tried using snes9x's wiiu/apps folder instead it launched. Is this usual?

Last edited by ,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs