[Tutorial] How to play Gamecube, PS1, & N64 games from the wiiu gamepad

Discussion in 'Wii U - Tutorials' started by MattKimura, Nov 12, 2017.

1. MattKimura
    OP

MattKimura 3DS & WiiU Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    For a while now it's been possible to play Gamecube games directly with the Wii U gamepad as a controller. Not only this, you can also play PS1 and N64 games from the gamepad as well! This essentially makes it into a portable experience, well if you're close enough to the console that is. For those who love playing things off-TV, this is a really amazing feature to utilize. You could also play from a TV with the gamepad as a controller if you prefer.
    It's now possible to force vWii to use Wii U CPU speeds to get a performance boost on PS1 and N64 emulators! PS1 games are now playable at fullspeed, well at least mainstream games are but not everything works.
    Use Section I for Gamecube games, if that doesn't work then you'll need to use Section III instead.

This guide assumes that you have a basic understanding of Wii U hacks. Such as booting into Homebrew Launcher, running CFW, installing with Wup Installer GX2, how to use Nintendont, etc.

Here's a video demonstration of playing PS1 games on the gamepad:

I. How to play Gamecube games on the gamepad

Warning: Spoilers inside!

II. How to play PS1 and N64 games on the gamepad

III. All in one solution for Gamecube, PS1, and N64 games on the gamepad (vWii Homebrew Channel with gamepad support. Use this if section I. didn't work on your system)

Last edited by MattKimura, Nov 20, 2017 at 2:24 AM
  2. soulkyo

soulkyo Member

Newcomer
    Nov 3, 2013
    Peru
    Thanks!

3. Nheisserer

Nheisserer Member

Newcomer
    Aug 23, 2014
    United States
    Could you be more specific related to step 7- "7) Extract the Wii64 and Wiisxr zip files to your SD card, except the Readme file"

Do I extract the files (except for the Readme) to the root of the SD, to the vwii apps folder?

4. MattKimura
    OP

MattKimura 3DS & WiiU Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    I just corrected it saying "Extract the folders from the wii64 and wiisxr zip files to the SD card"
    Basically the Wii64 and Wiisxr zips come with two folders in them. Like Wii64 would have an apps folder and wii64 folder. You'd extract both of these to your SD. Just everything you see in the zip, extract it (Except the readme)

5. GuyInDogSuit

GuyInDogSuit I ain't your pa.

Aug 1, 2008
    United States
    Antelope, CA
    This will come in handy when I finally get a Wii U.

Egwok, elBenyo and MattKimura like this.
  6. Glyptofane

Glyptofane GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 12, 2009
    United States
    Keep in mind that GameCube titles that use or rely on analog triggers can range from cumbersome to outright useless to play on the Wii U gamepad with only digital triggers at your disposal. These include Super Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion, Super Smash Bros Melee, Metroid Prime 1 & 2, and perhaps others.

weatMod and MattKimura like this.
  7. GuyInDogSuit

Aug 1, 2008
    United States
    Antelope, CA
    What if you use the Pro controller?

8. SpiffyJUNIOR

SpiffyJUNIOR GBAtemp Fan

Apr 13, 2016
    United States
    US
    Do not recommend the widescreen hack for nintendont btw, tend to cause clipping issues in many games. (Namely SSBM,PMTTYD)

9. Glyptofane

Feb 12, 2009
    United States
    Pro controller has the same issue. I'm not sure if Nintendont supports the GameCube controller adapter or not, as I don't have one, but that may be a way around it.

elBenyo likes this.
  10. GuyInDogSuit

Aug 1, 2008
    United States
    Antelope, CA
    Well, that sucks. I'm really only interested in playing GC and Wii games though. I'm sure for the latter I'd need the Wiimote and Nunchuk for most games.

11. Lazyboss

Lazyboss Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 26, 2017
    United Arab Emirates
    i never had a Gamecube controller, what do you mean by analog triggers? are they the same like Dual Shock 4 L2 and R2 ?

12. Glyptofane

Feb 12, 2009
    United States
    You might be better off with a regular old Wii in that case. I still keep mine connected primarily due to its capable and no fuss handling of GameCube dumps.

The triggers are basically pressure sensitive and have a range of motion before finally clicking.

GuyInDogSuit likes this.
  13. Lazyboss

Lazyboss Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 26, 2017
    United Arab Emirates
    sounds like the DS4, DS4 work with GC VC, i didn't know that the GC controller was more advanced than WiiU lol, guess i will get one

14. misterdarvus

misterdarvus GBAtemp Regular

May 13, 2014
    Indonesia
    I'm playing Sunshine right now and going full press FLUDD for the entire game and haven't had a problem

15. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    The last part that explains the "ALL IN ONE SOLUTION" so it is supposed to load homebrew channel from vwii, does it mean i can play my other emulators like SNES9X and genesis plus as well or does it only limit to Nindendont, and the n64 and psx emulator?

Also what is this part about extra cpu I'm not understanding? :unsure:

16. Milenko

Milenko Member

Newcomer
    Oct 16, 2017
    Australia
    Pretty sure there's a button combination that gets around it in Sunshine

17. OrGoN3

OrGoN3 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 23, 2007
    United States
    That means you can play any homebrew that supports the gamepad as a controller, ie rebuilt using the latest libwiidrc. It is just loading up vWii's homebrew channel with gamepad support (as a controller).

There is a patch known as cafe2wii, or c2w, that lets the vWii use the full clock speed of the Wii U's processor, or CPU. If you want the boost in performance, you need to run the sign_c2w_patcher from the Wii U's Homebrew Launcher prior to running the HomeBrew Channel on the vWii. However, only homebrew that supports this will benefit from the extra speed, and homebrew that doesn't support it may not work properly (like Nintendont). So, if you are running somthing like FIX94's Wii64 WiiSXR, you'll want to run the sign_c2w_patcher from the Wii U's Homebrew Launcher before clicking on the HBC icon. If you want to run Nintendont, then do not run that patcher first.

Please also note that a side effect of GamePad support is that you lose USB support. So homebrew that support the GamePad as a controller only have access to the SD card.

MattKimura likes this.
  18. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    So can i some how just make it work when loading haxchi so I don't have to load haxchi then load another type of cfw to use it?

So does that also mean I can't use any other controllers with it like the wii mote or pro controller if i choose to use the gamepad?:unsure:

19. OrGoN3

OrGoN3 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 23, 2007
    United States
    No. And you don't necessarily want it running all the time either. Remember, if the homebrew doesn't support it, it may not function correctly.

It means you can't use anything that is plugged into your USB ports. Wireless controllers should work just fine, as long as the homebrew supports it.

20. Glyptofane

Feb 12, 2009
    United States
    You know for a fact it's not meant to be played that way. Yes, it can be done, but it's not fun, nor is it designed to be played in a gay way your way. I'd call not being able to walk/run and FLUDD at the same time a pretty big drawback.

Last edited by Glyptofane, Nov 12, 2017
    elBenyo and Hielkenator2 like this.