Games that require serious non game skills to play?

tempy_thinker.png

Games are often seen as tests of various skills, however most that everybody knows tend to test a fairly consistent set of them which most would be game players can learn and adapt to fairly quickly.
However they often shy away from asking people to use skills found in many but not necessarily anything like all. Here we want to know what you have either encountered in a game and came to a dead end with, or even sought out as a game as you have or wish to develop the skills in question.
Sometimes use of these skills are impractical to simulate in a game but other times they are eminently doable but few game developers would make such a thing, possibly for fear of limiting their audience.

Darlings of the first wave of PC CD games the 7th Guest and 11th Hour were often noted for wanting quite considerable maths, word and logic skills the likes of which have seldom been seen in games since then.
Should I wander around in a game and a game then asks me to play a 16 note sequence in something like real time from this piece of sheet music... that is going to involve me generating a key to do it and will take hours for something someone that can play and read sheet music might do first time in 15 seconds flat.
Rocksmith could see a mention in this sort of discussion but as its goal is clearly stated as being a music trainer it might not count.
Ever played a sniper game and not been taught what all those lines inside your scope mean or how to use them? Sometimes you might be taught about bullet drop/ranging, and wind or leading a moving target but rarely how to use mildots or other aim assisting aspects.
Fez was a fairly notable platformer for its rotational world mechanics but some of its secrets, easter eggs and bonuses were incredibly obtuse and saw people recreate QR codes, decipher very long form binary.
The hacking minigame/bonus game for enter the matrix was something of a recreation of DOS, as opposed to the usual simplified version of an old arcade classic or item consumer.

Are there any skills you would like to see explored more in games in the future? Fiction is replete with examples of clever detectives solving word puzzles on ancient tombs (something rather lacking in games despite such a scenario being far from unexplored in computer games), and likewise it is not short of fiction depicting computer games with clever puzzles for people to solve to unlock a secret job or government contract. ARGs and hackme contests are arguably this as well but might not quite be a game you are going to complete by yourself or with a few mates.

This is part of a discussion series in which we discuss and ponder things about games, be it individual games, aspects of the game industry, gaming culture, mechanics or gaming concepts. Previously we discussed What technologies in 20 years will seem unfairly held back.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only games come to mind is
Oregon trail
Math blasters
Reader Rabbit
Word Munchers

and last but not least,
Mavis beacon teaches typing. :blink:
What about Mario Teaches Typing?

Man I was so bad at that game as a kid

VartioArtel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There was one game where you had to answer puzzles, Stanly Parable or something like that? Had to decode all sorts of ciphers and stuff.

Then there's the "Nonary Game" Trilogy where real life knowledge/puzzle solving skills came in handy.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Well... I'm more an Action / Platformer guy.
So I'm good with fast paced games.

This is the main reason why I fucking hate RPG's in general (except Pokemon as the Type Mechanics is definitely interesting)
I hate the fact that I have to be patient / have good luck to actually win a battle whereas a Platformer or a Shoot'm'up / Run&Gun / Fighting game is based on pure skill and not on just how fast you decided to defend or attack.

Can we call Colors! a videogame? If so... I guess it becomes fairly easy to point out that this game isn't for everybody (or maybe it is) as the user has to develop motor skills, hand/eye coordination and probably build up studies and learn drawing theories to truly enjoy the game.

On a more pesonal side... Sudoku / Mahjong / Picross / Dr.Mario are games that are impossible to me, because I literally don't have the pattience to actually play further than 5 minutes or even less than that.
Tetris is a good puzzle game because, again, it's based on skill and not pattience as the examples above.

Other games that I've found impossible to play are old LucasFilms DOS games such as Monkey Island and other point and click similars.

:unsure:

Maybe I'm just dumb.

On a side note:
Games with puzzles that you can win involving SKILL and not pattience, and that I've personally enjoyed a lot could be:
  • AGAIN
  • Murder on the Titanic

Last edited by JuanMena,

TobiasAmaranth

Trophies
Website
werewolfdarkarts.com
XP
Country
United States
Speaking of Math Blasters, I remember a super-old computer game about climbing a mountain and had educational stuff as part of its means of progression. Either typing or math or something along those lines. I played it at a friend's place and had lots of fun but I never knew the name and it was early enough in my childhood that I can't properly remember any of the details aside from 'mountain' and 'educational'.

We're talking early 1990s.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Typing of the Dead as more of a "game" and less of an edutainment type deal as most listed above.

Kerbal Space Program also might count, if you want to get any kind of far in that game you'll really need to understand the mechanics and physics of space travel which I would call a "non-game skill" personally. While of course you don't necessarily have to do any of the in-depth math to do well in the "game", it certainly helps a hell of a lot when you do more advanced missions and maneuvers.

Beyond that the only thing that really comes to mind are edutainment games, Math Blaster, Zoombinis, Reader Rabbit, Putt Putt and other such games.

Reactions: Zense and RyRyIV

TheCasualties

Just trying to be helpful
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Myst was a good one. Figuring out puzzles and all that. I had a small notebook dedicated to that game. My father and I sometimes worked together trying to solve some of the mysteries.
7th Guest was another of my favorites back then, but that's already mentioned in OP.

Mario Teaches Typing was so hard for me! I could never get past the water level.

Last edited by TheCasualties,

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Myst was a good one. Figuring out puzzles and all that. I had a small notebook dedicated to that game. My father and I sometimes worked together trying to solve some of the mysteries.
7th Guest was another of my favorites back then, but that's already mentioned in OP.

Mario Teaches Typing was so hard for me! I could never get past the water level.

Huh, I guess Mario Teaches Typing has a little more going on than just typing. What, is it like what Typing of the Dead is to House of the Dead 2 or whichever HOTD game on the DC it was based off of that used the keyboard!?

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
On a more pesonal side... Sudoku / Mahjong / Picross / Dr.Mario are games that are impossible to me, because I literally don't have the pattience to actually play further than 5 minutes or even less than that.
Tetris is a good puzzle game because, again, it's based on skill and not pattience as the examples above.
I wouldn't say these four games require patience. Dr.Mario is very similar to Tetris for me. Mahjong (at least the western version we all know) is just a match 2 game. So probably takes a bit of patience to find a match. But Sudoku and Picross are logic and deduction games. So minimal patience involved if you're a fast thinker or have a very logical thought process.

TheCasualties

Just trying to be helpful
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Huh, I guess Mario Teaches Typing has a little more going on than just typing. What, is it like what Typing of the Dead is to House of the Dead 2 or whichever HOTD game on the DC it was based off of that used the keyboard!?
It was pretty much just typing, but you had to be fast enough to not lose. Here's the level I never finished.

If I went back and played today, I'm sure I could finish it. I've gotten way better at speed typing than when I was 5-7[?] years old.

I'll have to look into Typing of the Dead, never even heard of it before today.

D

Deleted User

this is not entirely the game's fault, but i seem to strugle in csgo due to not knowing portugese, everytime i SoloQ i end up with a bunch of brazillians, since i only speak english and spanish, and csgo is a very comunication heavy game, we can't really coordinate semiadvanced strategies, one of every 5 or so games one of them will try to make an advanced strategy and i'll get kicked because i didn't understand what they wanted me to do and as such did not do it

Reactions: TheCasualties

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Uncensored patch for Barbie games?