1. 5,612

Front-page
    tempy_thinker.png

Games are often seen as tests of various skills, however most that everybody knows tend to test a fairly consistent set of them which most would be game players can learn and adapt to fairly quickly.
    However they often shy away from asking people to use skills found in many but not necessarily anything like all. Here we want to know what you have either encountered in a game and came to a dead end with, or even sought out as a game as you have or wish to develop the skills in question.
    Sometimes use of these skills are impractical to simulate in a game but other times they are eminently doable but few game developers would make such a thing, possibly for fear of limiting their audience.

Darlings of the first wave of PC CD games the 7th Guest and 11th Hour were often noted for wanting quite considerable maths, word and logic skills the likes of which have seldom been seen in games since then.
    Should I wander around in a game and a game then asks me to play a 16 note sequence in something like real time from this piece of sheet music... that is going to involve me generating a key to do it and will take hours for something someone that can play and read sheet music might do first time in 15 seconds flat.
    Rocksmith could see a mention in this sort of discussion but as its goal is clearly stated as being a music trainer it might not count.
    Ever played a sniper game and not been taught what all those lines inside your scope mean or how to use them? Sometimes you might be taught about bullet drop/ranging, and wind or leading a moving target but rarely how to use mildots or other aim assisting aspects.
    Fez was a fairly notable platformer for its rotational world mechanics but some of its secrets, easter eggs and bonuses were incredibly obtuse and saw people recreate QR codes, decipher very long form binary.
    The hacking minigame/bonus game for enter the matrix was something of a recreation of DOS, as opposed to the usual simplified version of an old arcade classic or item consumer.

Are there any skills you would like to see explored more in games in the future? Fiction is replete with examples of clever detectives solving word puzzles on ancient tombs (something rather lacking in games despite such a scenario being far from unexplored in computer games), and likewise it is not short of fiction depicting computer games with clever puzzles for people to solve to unlock a secret job or government contract. ARGs and hackme contests are arguably this as well but might not quite be a game you are going to complete by yourself or with a few mates.

This is part of a discussion series in which we discuss and ponder things about games, be it individual games, aspects of the game industry, gaming culture, mechanics or gaming concepts. Previously we discussed What technologies in 20 years will seem unfairly held back.

hippy dave, Stealphie, Zense and 2 others like this.
  2. Discussion (98 replies)

3. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.
    Global Moderator

United States
    Duolingo, can we call that a game?

E1ite007, XAIXER, wonkeytonk and 3 others like this.
  4. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

United States
    Only games come to mind is
    Oregon trail
    Math blasters
    Reader Rabbit
    Word Munchers

and last but not least,
    Mavis beacon teaches typing. :blink:

E1ite007 and wartutor like this.
  5. arjunpatel

arjunpatel GBAtemp Regular

United States
    OG Doom on hurt me plenty challenging sure but easy

6. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.
    Global Moderator

United States
    What about Mario Teaches Typing?

Man I was so bad at that game as a kid

7. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

United States
    Well I guess is better a iconic character like mario teaches you how to type. But mavis beacon seem more structured in many things. Like even the number pad, and improving words per minute. What was mario going to teach me? :blink:

8. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Lost Wanderer Who Sees No Evil

United States
    Would Cyber Punk Bartender count?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

E1ite007 likes this.
  9. KlasseyKreations

KlasseyKreations photon readings negative

Portugal
    Johnny Castaway. I think it was a screensaver, but I used to enjoy watching the guy do various things on his island. It required serious retina burning skills to play.

Last edited by KlasseyKreations, Jul 7, 2020
    andeers, E1ite007, Taleweaver and 3 others like this.
  10. VartioArtel

VartioArtel GBAtemp Regular

United States
    There was one game where you had to answer puzzles, Stanly Parable or something like that? Had to decode all sorts of ciphers and stuff.

Then there's the "Nonary Game" Trilogy where real life knowledge/puzzle solving skills came in handy.

11. JuanMena

JuanMena GBAtemp 90's Fan

Mexico
    Well... I'm more an Action / Platformer guy.
    So I'm good with fast paced games.

This is the main reason why I fucking hate RPG's in general (except Pokemon as the Type Mechanics is definitely interesting)
    I hate the fact that I have to be patient / have good luck to actually win a battle whereas a Platformer or a Shoot'm'up / Run&Gun / Fighting game is based on pure skill and not on just how fast you decided to defend or attack.

Can we call Colors! a videogame? If so... I guess it becomes fairly easy to point out that this game isn't for everybody (or maybe it is) as the user has to develop motor skills, hand/eye coordination and probably build up studies and learn drawing theories to truly enjoy the game.

On a more pesonal side... Sudoku / Mahjong / Picross / Dr.Mario are games that are impossible to me, because I literally don't have the pattience to actually play further than 5 minutes or even less than that.
    Tetris is a good puzzle game because, again, it's based on skill and not pattience as the examples above.

Other games that I've found impossible to play are old LucasFilms DOS games such as Monkey Island and other point and click similars.

:unsure:

Maybe I'm just dumb.

On a side note:
    Games with puzzles that you can win involving SKILL and not pattience, and that I've personally enjoyed a lot could be:
    • AGAIN
    • Murder on the Titanic

Last edited by JuanMena, Jul 7, 2020
    hippy dave and Tarmfot like this.
  12. RyRyIV

RyRyIV Chicken Chaser
    Contributor

United States
    As a kid, I got to use my basic comprehension and reading skills to save a zoo with Putt-Putt

Ericzander and tmnr1992 like this.
  13. TobiasAmaranth

TobiasAmaranth GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Speaking of Math Blasters, I remember a super-old computer game about climbing a mountain and had educational stuff as part of its means of progression. Either typing or math or something along those lines. I played it at a friend's place and had lots of fun but I never knew the name and it was early enough in my childhood that I can't properly remember any of the details aside from 'mountain' and 'educational'.

We're talking early 1990s.

14. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Dick, With Balls
    Reviewer

United States
    Typing of the Dead as more of a "game" and less of an edutainment type deal as most listed above.

Kerbal Space Program also might count, if you want to get any kind of far in that game you'll really need to understand the mechanics and physics of space travel which I would call a "non-game skill" personally. While of course you don't necessarily have to do any of the in-depth math to do well in the "game", it certainly helps a hell of a lot when you do more advanced missions and maneuvers.

Beyond that the only thing that really comes to mind are edutainment games, Math Blaster, Zoombinis, Reader Rabbit, Putt Putt and other such games.

Zense and RyRyIV like this.
  15. TheCasualties

TheCasualties Just trying to be helpful

Netherlands
    Myst was a good one. Figuring out puzzles and all that. I had a small notebook dedicated to that game. My father and I sometimes worked together trying to solve some of the mysteries.
    7th Guest was another of my favorites back then, but that's already mentioned in OP.

Mario Teaches Typing was so hard for me! I could never get past the water level.

Last edited by TheCasualties, Jul 7, 2020
    phreaksho and slaphappygamer like this.
  16. Silent_Gunner

United States
    If you use Wallpaper Engine on your PC, you can get a video recreation of it as a wallpaper! ;)

KlasseyKreations and Tarmfot like this.
  17. THEELEMENTKH

THEELEMENTKH GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Spain
    I'd say Ace Attorney

E1ite007, nxwing, VatoLoco and 2 others like this.
  18. Silent_Gunner

United States
    Huh, I guess Mario Teaches Typing has a little more going on than just typing. What, is it like what Typing of the Dead is to House of the Dead 2 or whichever HOTD game on the DC it was based off of that used the keyboard!?

19. Dust2dust

Dust2dust GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    I wouldn't say these four games require patience. Dr.Mario is very similar to Tetris for me. Mahjong (at least the western version we all know) is just a match 2 game. So probably takes a bit of patience to find a match. But Sudoku and Picross are logic and deduction games. So minimal patience involved if you're a fast thinker or have a very logical thought process.

20. TheCasualties

TheCasualties Just trying to be helpful

Netherlands
    It was pretty much just typing, but you had to be fast enough to not lose. Here's the level I never finished.

If I went back and played today, I'm sure I could finish it. I've gotten way better at speed typing than when I was 5-7[?] years old.

I'll have to look into Typing of the Dead, never even heard of it before today.

21. Azerus_Kun

Azerus_Kun GBAtemp Regular

Uruguay
    this is not entirely the game's fault, but i seem to strugle in csgo due to not knowing portugese, everytime i SoloQ i end up with a bunch of brazillians, since i only speak english and spanish, and csgo is a very comunication heavy game, we can't really coordinate semiadvanced strategies, one of every 5 or so games one of them will try to make an advanced strategy and i'll get kicked because i didn't understand what they wanted me to do and as such did not do it

TheCasualties likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - serious, require, skills