1. tmnr1992

tmnr1992 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The typing of the dead.

leon315 and Silent_Gunner like this.
  2. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Lost Wanderer Who Sees No Evil

United States
    It's basically House of the Dead 2 on DC, but you have to type in a bunch of weird shit to kill the zombies. It used the official DC keyboard that I think was more or less meant for chatting online in stuff like PSO and the like, but the only reason I knew of it was that one of my older brothers had it and a bunch of other stuff for the DC at the time.

E1ite007, Stealphie and TheCasualties like this.
  3. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

United States
    The Professor Layton series.

4. T-hug

T-hug Always like this.
    Chief Editor

Fibbage! It requires no gaming skill whatsoever but can teach you how to lie convincingly IRL. The game usually ends up pretty hilarious too :rofl2:

Zense, Ericzander and TheCasualties like this.
  5. BlastedGuy9905

BlastedGuy9905 where's the updated autopsy report

United States
    Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes. You need to know rhow to communicate efficiently or you're fucked.

zxr750j, E1ite007, noahc3 and 3 others like this.
  6. Pippin666

Pippin666 SSF43DE Master

Canada
  7. gudenau

gudenau Largely ignored

United States
    Would be really cool to have a game with VMs that teach network security and some basic Linux stuff.

Lockpicking would be interesting, no real way to get the feedback though.

noahc3 and TheCasualties like this.
  8. strayofthesun

strayofthesun Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I'm sure plenty of people here first looked at the Braille alphabet trying to catch the Regi's in Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. Not exactly a skill but definitely something that most people playing a visual game were unfamiliar with.

MarcusCarter likes this.
  9. ParanoidPenguin

Newcomer

United States
    Just about any game from Zachtronics. A whole game around a made up assembly language, sign me up!

10. Teletron1

Teletron1 Space Tech Engineer

United States
    D

Zense likes this.
  11. Gunstorm

Brazil
    It's a game or an interactive movie?

TheCasualties likes this.
  12. ShroomKing

ShroomKing Somebody

United States
    ^This

I didn't know about the other games but Shenzhen I/O is great for practicing/learning assembly language and some electrical engineering

Zense and TheCasualties like this.
  13. TheCasualties

TheCasualties Just trying to be helpful

Netherlands
    The characters all running around with keyboards strapped to their chest is hilarious (skip to 7:58). That game actually looks quite fun!

Baba is you is another great logic/puzzle game that might fit this discussion. The later levels can get crazy, I'm decent at logic puzzles but that game seriously takes it to a whole new level. There are so many secrets too!

You can become other things, even the entire level! But that's just a small percent of the crazy stuff. This should give a good idea what the game is like.

There is also a prototype version that is free on itch.io https://hempuli.itch.io/baba-is-you

safan41 likes this.
  14. elcarajos666

elcarajos666 Member
    Newcomer

Mexico
    Sonic Forces. Just jump and boost.

15. gamefan5

gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Canada
    The Animal Crossing games.

Tarmfot and Zense like this.
  16. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    Dance Dance Revolution?

Shenzhen I/O gets pretty in depth with circuit design and coding, I guess that counts.

17. Zense

Zense GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Italy
    Waifu sims: they require serious social skills to master......

Want to elaborate on what it thought you? Did you manage to pay your mortage by selling fruit?

I was gonna mention Fez as soon as I read the title. Not gonna spoil, but its one of the few games where I resorted to looking up the answer for those last secrets. And I also don't regret doing it which is very unusual... Parts of that games secrets are impossible unless you have the very specific required knowledge. Not a surprise when it's about cryptography and breaking codes and finding patterns.

I passed the entrance test to become an air traffic controller and I was very surprised how similar atc games are for parts of that test.

I feel edutainment games don't count as much since it's so obvious. Like Dr Kawashima, Brain Age. Then there are all the fitness games like Wii Fit etc. Rhythm games if you've played an instrument or good at dancing. Karaoke games for singers. Ofc none of these need you to have those skills but you get a big advantage. Most point n click games benefit from you knowing stuff, but they also have their sheer number of random puzzles. (Shoes on a ladder anyone?).

I remember a very specific side quest in Kotor where you were asked to solve an arithmetic problem. I guess math came in handy there but that happens very often in rpgs where you often just do addition or subtraction for equipment, selling, plus the more "advanced" if there are bonus stats and drop rates, hits, crits, res etc. It's obvious that if you play dnd a lot many systems in rpgs will be familiar. Not sure if that counts, since many board games have video game counterparts.

Last edited by Zense, Jul 8, 2020
  18. ChicoPancho

ChicoPancho GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Clubhouse games 51 world wide classics

Zense likes this.
  19. Axido

Axido GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    I tend to like playing games that require and train real life skills in order to learn or maintain said skills.

I learn playing guitar using Rocksmith (and yes, that's totally a game, since you could see it as Guitar Hero on steroids). I played Dance Central in order to learn a few dance moves. Beat Saber and that Kinect workout game Your Shape - Fitness Evolved keep me in shape. Playing plain Pokémon games with adjusted language settings actually tought me a good amount of Spanish. And I guess the majority of my English came from games as well. The Professor Layton series of games even had a few puzzles that I've come across again now that I study computer science. Shenzhen I/O has already been mentioned. Hacknet, Human Ressource Machine and Seven Billion Humans are other examples I played.

And just out of fun I'd like to throw a mention of Custom Maid 3D and its Ju-C Air controller into the mix (and even though I considered getting this game, it never happened).

20. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Argentina
    Carmen San Diego, before the Internet it required either save scumming or knowledge of Geography.

The Math Blaster games required basic knowledge of math.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - serious, require, skills