• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Do you support marijuana legalization?

SonowRaevius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your link states that 30% of the people get addicted while 9% are dependent.
https://luxury.rehabs.com/marijuana-rehab/addiction-statistics/
https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/resear...icted-to-marijuana-and-the-problem-is-growing
https://www.cdc.gov/marijuana/faqs/marijuana-addiction.html

3 more links that all say pretty much the same thing. about 9% become addicted.

Even that 30% you brought up even says that those are people that show signs, not that they are actually addicted to it, but could lead into it with more severe cases (Again just the 9%).

. The tar content in marijuana is worse than tobacco

It is 4 times greater, but there have been numerous studies that have have shown it to not be a greater risk at lung cancer or other diseases that cigarettes cause to the lungs.

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2012/01/98519/marijuana-shown-be-less-damaging-lungs-tobacco
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/cigarettes-marijuana-tar/
https://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/health/ct-cb-smoking-pot-vs-tobacco-20190408-story.html

That still being said, I would rather edibles still be sold than people smoking and still think that it should be legal regardless because the good outweighs the harm in this instance. I won't pull up my own personal anecdotes of how I have seen it do positively in my group of friends and acquaintances because that is not hard science or facts.

You're free to disagree however, and I hope you have a pleasant day.

gregory-samba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://luxury.rehabs.com/marijuana-rehab/addiction-statistics/
https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/resear...icted-to-marijuana-and-the-problem-is-growing
https://www.cdc.gov/marijuana/faqs/marijuana-addiction.html

3 more links that all say pretty much the same thing. about 9% become addicted.

Even that 30% you brought up even says that those are people that show signs, not that they are actually addicted to it, but could lead into it with more severe cases (Again just the 9%).

It is 4 times greater, but there have been numerous studies that have have shown it to not be a greater risk at lung cancer or other diseases that cigarettes cause to the lungs.

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2012/01/98519/marijuana-shown-be-less-damaging-lungs-tobacco
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/cigarettes-marijuana-tar/
https://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/health/ct-cb-smoking-pot-vs-tobacco-20190408-story.html

That still being said, I would rather edibles still be sold than people smoking and still think that it should be legal regardless because the good outweighs the harm in this instance. I won't pull up my own personal anecdotes of how I have seen it do positively in my group of friends and acquaintances because that is not hard science or facts.

You're free to disagree however, and I hope you have a pleasant day.

My sources, which I'll list again (see below) have an overview from two different countries top authorities on health matters. They beg to differ with the assumptions from your sources. It's too bad you don't have any real experience with it to put forth your personal knowledge, but I'm not wrong as I'm just trying to educate others. I was involved in the marijuana industry for a very long time and have seen first hand the effects it has on people.

You can be addicted to a substance, but not to the point where you're completely dependent on it. Your link showed that 30% of people get addicted with 9% completely dependent on the drug. I'm not going to debate you about this because your own original link clearly outlines this, but it's also wrong as the percentage of people in the real world who smoke marijuana and become addicted to it is much greater than 30%.

From your link ...

"Recent data suggest that 30% of those who use marijuana may have some degree of marijuana use disorder"

So what's "marijuana use disorder"? (Remember, marijuana is synonyms with cannabis.

"Cannabis use disorder, also known as cannabis addiction or marijuana addiction, is defined in the fifth revision of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders and ICD-10 as the continued use of cannabis despite clinically significant impairment.

Cannabis use disorder is recognized in the fifth version of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5), which also added cannabis withdrawal as a new condition.

In the 2013 revision for the DSM-5, DSM-IV abuse and dependence were combined into cannabis use disorder. The legal problems criterion (from cannabis abuse) has been removed, and the craving criterion was newly added, resulting in a total of 11 criteria. These are: hazardous use, social/interpersonal problems, neglected major roles, withdrawal, tolerance, used larger amounts/longer, repeated attempts to quit/control use, much time spent using, physical/psychological problems related to use, activities given up and craving. For a diagnosis of DSM-5 cannabis use disorder, at least 2 of these criteria need to be present in the last 12-month period. Additionally, three severity levels have been defined: mild (2-3 criteria), moderate (4-5 criteria) and severe (six or more criteria) cannabis use disorder."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_use_disorder

It then goes on to describe the addictions and effects, including withdrawal. I also beg to differ on the addiction part, because I saw first hand how most people who smoke it on a regular basis become psychologically addicted. Luckily, unlike alcohol addiction it won't kill you if you quit or it's not physically addicting like nicotine is either.

Though, you do realize that most people who drink alcohol don't get addicted to it either, right? If your numbers were correct and only 9% get addicted that's still 9% of people whose lives are most likely going to get ruined as that's what addiction does it destroys lives.

not be a greater risk at lung cancer or other diseases that cigarettes cause to the lungs

Well that's nice, so it's probably just as bad as tobacco. Wait .... isn't there some big thing about tobacco .... So it's just about as dangerous, that's a good thing?

I gain nothing for sharing my experiences and advice as I'm not part of any groups that are distributing the drug or any groups trying to stop it from being distributed. I've just been around the block too many times to know your studies you listed are way off. I don't think it should be legalized for recreational purposes or should be smoked, but only legal for people suffering from illness who have a prescription. I think it should be treated just like any other prescription drug.

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-can...dication/cannabis/health-effects/effects.html

https://www.cdc.gov/marijuana/health-effects.html

You'll notice their studies have produced much more information related to the harm it does to the brain and lungs and how it effects children and teenagers. It'll take about 45 minutes to read the main articles and the links contained in them. This information is up to date and not the fear mongering crap from the 1960's. This information comes from recent studies from two countries. It would point out that it's legal in Canada to smoke marijuana and legal in many states so that's given scientists the ability to legally study the drug and its effects on the human body. So I'd implore you to spend about an hour to get educated on recent information from these two de-facto health sources.

Last edited by gregory-samba,

SonowRaevius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

First off, from your very own source from CDC "About 1 in 10 marijuana users will become addicted. For people who begin using before the age of 18, that number rises to 1 in 6."

That is just users actually not the entirety of people in the population which I falsely believed and more with younger people. I will admit I was mistaken and reading the info wrong, so it is possible that 30% of users could show symptoms of the addictions. I will at least thank you for making me see that mistake for myself.

The most I can say here, without sounding cold and heartless because I know it will sound like I don't care when I actually do, is I hope that no one ever actually gets this bad off. I have seen what addictions can do to people and it is fortunate that this is just a fraction of a fraction of the people at whole and there do seem to be good programs world-wide that are built with helping people recover from issues that marijuana/cannabis creates and even advisories that if people experience any of the negative symptoms that they quit immediately and agree that it is a good thing that people can quit cold turkey on it without any of the side-effects that you would see in any other drug/substance.

As for "life experience" I have seen plenty of people that use it just fine with no impairments to their health or cognitive abilities, I know people that run their own dispensary right here in my state as well. While I have seen some people who the effects have effected negatively, I have seen much more positive than negative unlike alcohol and cigarettes where I have seen 0 positive used recreationally.

Also, noted that I know what the negative effects can be for marijuana/cannabis myself as I have an intolerance to it and it affects me personally in a bad way (with some of the symptoms listed in fact, I still think that it should be fully legalized, because not everything is about me or the few that may have issues with it. This isn't saying that I think harder drugs/substances should be legalized however as they have no health benefits whatsoever.

What I meant to say is that the studies I posted found that, yes, while cannabis/marijuana does have more tar in it than cigarettes, those studies show that people have less health issues (not saying none at all just to clarify) in their lungs than with smoking cigarettes and less of a chance to develop cancer, however there is still that risk and I would much rather people didn't smoke it at all just to prevent any possible further health risk.

Finally, I just want to say I am sorry that you took it as me wishing that people's lives would be ruined or have some negative/adverse effects happen to them or that I think it is 100% ok because I am not, but I also believe that sometimes the good does outweigh the bad in this situation and that I have made that clear in my post.

I thank you further for the information that you did provide however as it did give some clarity to things.

Legendaykai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No way, keepit illegal we dont need stoners in my state than you very much i already deal with potheads when i go get my lunch from subway on my break

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No way, keepit illegal we dont need stoners in my state than you very much i already deal with potheads when i go get my lunch from subway on my break
In what way are you a victim from them existing in your vicinity?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

the fact that alcohol and tobacco are legal bears no relevance to the legalization of cannabis. I agree that none are worse than the other, but we (in most of the the western world at least) have an already established culture and economy which includes them. If any of them were to be introduced in 2020, they all would face similar issues to become legal.

However, for strict medicinal use, cannabis should be legalized. Tobacco should be banned, it's just irrelevant in 2020.
That's false. Cannabis indica and sativa can both be found as active ingredients on many old medicine bottles. It is by no means a new thing, and was legal all the way up until 50 years ago.

Reactions: zxr750j

r0achtheunsavory

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The biggest problem with weed is people that pretend it's 100% harmless. Everything has side effects, even table salt. Marijuana's negative effects on the brain are far more subtle than people doing things like smoking crack, but there's still lots of negatives.

Alcohol makes your brain more dysfunctional and your decision making process concerning things like morality and whatever else will be impaired while on it, but the alcohol quickly leaves the body, so it's not a huge issue for people functioning in society and going to work.

The problem with weed is that it stays in your system practically forever. Even if it only degrades your decision making process and affects things like morality issues 1/8th as much, you're dealing with people who are permanently impaired just by using it once or twice a month (although most people who use it use it practically every day).

There's a difference between de-criminalizing weed and legalizing it. If something keeps people virtually permanently impaired, it's probably not a good idea to stock it on shelves at Wal Mart. Weed would be a good candidate for genetic engineering to remove it's long lasting effect and make it leave the body faster. Staying in your body (it's definitely noticeable) for days or even weeks is absurd.

Reactions: CORE

Legendaykai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stoners are nothing but trouble! So keeping it illegal and having it for cancer paitents i support it, but not for annoying little upstarts that think they are black because they listen to rap music and think if they smoke cannabis,weed (etc) they will be black but in reality they make complete idiots of themselves.

Last edited by Legendaykai,
Reactions: nine0nine

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Marijuana is great, but you have to separate the recreational use from the medicinal use. Smoking is bad yes, but there are healthy alternatives that can help a lot of people as a valid medicine. Recreation ally, it's just another thing like alcohol, just do it in moderation and preferably healthier ways like eating

Reactions: IncredulousP

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I do not support the legalization of marijuana, as it represents a hidden potential danger for those citizens who live a healthy lifestyle. I equate myself with such people. In any case, marijuana can't be safe. So I would like a lot of people to think about this and speak out against marijuana

Fortunately there was this great experiment called the same period in history that corresponds to modern medicine wherein millions of people, both sexes and of all ethnicities, variously engaged in its use, did not engage in its use, did not use but were around those that did, and those that did also used in various amounts and timeframes, all of which have had some considerable study.
It has also been about 8 years since the first US state legalised things, far longer since many were all "don't blow it in a policeman's face and we don't care", and the 1970s since the Netherlands went in for it, to say nothing of it only becoming illegal not so many decades before.

If negative effects were going to show they surely would have by now, or are so mild or so rare as to be lost in the noise and at that point does it really matter?

jimbo13

Terry Crews #1 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I enjoy marijuana frequently and encourage it's use, however I voted to keep it illegal where I lived this passed election cause it makes Californians feel welcome. Legalization ruined Colorado to the point my grandparents moved out of a house they lived in since the 60s and I don't need that drama here.

I'd be fine being any of the last 3-5 states to legalize, but I don't want to be in the top 20.

Reactions: Deleted User

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Legalization ruined Colorado to the point my grandparents moved out of a house they lived in since the 60s and I don't need that drama here.

Care to give any more details there?

Most things I hear are positives, indifference or "minor negatives but look at all this extra tax revenue".

Reactions: cearp

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Where's the vote button? I do, even though I don't smoke at all in any way.

I very much hate smoking and the smell of smoke, it makes me cough, but funny enough the only 2 times I ever tried to smoke, it was weed. I didn't do it cause I wanted to pick up the habit, I did it because I figured, if I'm ever gonna voluntarily get this shit in my lungs, it may as well be for something touted as more fun than just plain cigarettes. The most I ever got was a mild frontal headache but everybody around me became insanely easily amused so I guess they were enjoying it. XD I'm also open to trying it out again some other time in an edible form, but I won't be trying to smoke it - or anything else - again.

Last edited by Searinox,

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
sorry should be illigal, i don't see any improvement here in the netherlands since the point they legalized it.
it didn't really worked the way they say.
here i've got far more problems with the stagaires on work ever since. they're not showing at work, calling in sick afterwards, maybe it stopped a little part of real crime, but it also takes away real future.
It's allright for medical conditions, and it's not the worst thing around, but it's causing more trouble then it stops.
my brother was a user, and never really seen the effect from the sideline untill he stopped and started to listen to how those around him experienced the time he used it.
it doesn't make you creative, it doesn't make you a nicer person to be around, it stinks like hell, andalcoho over time it makes you agressive and easy irritated.
alcohol is only there directly from the moment you use it till a few hours afterwards (some extreme cases a day or so), but whet that great feeling ofmellow leaves when you smoke marijuana it doesn't mean that you lost all symptoms.
thats when it starts to get negative to those around you.
mellow nice state about an hour long maybe, irritation and agression 3 hours minimum.
all friends of my brother had the same responce to the drug, so i'm most certain it's a side effect.
really thay should rebann the drug, for there's nothing good i see around me.

jimbo13

Terry Crews #1 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Care to give any more details there?

Most things I hear are positives, indifference or "minor negatives but look at all this extra tax revenue".

Colorado being first they endured the substantial population boom, there sleepy senior area turned in to a college town over night. There is millions of new people attached to that tax revenue, strains on infrastructure, cost of living etc. It's less about opposing legalization and more about not wanting to be a destination for the millions of people looking for a safe haven. Doing it now still makes you a early adopter and your going to get transplants.

I live in a quiet, low population rural area by design and I tend to do everything to keep it that way. Opening a dispensary is not conducive to that goal.

Reactions: cearp

Benja81

GBATemp Sporaddict
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it doesn't make you creative, it doesn't make you a nicer person to be around, it stinks like hell, andalcoho over time it makes you agressive and easy irritated.
From a smoker's PoV:
1)It definitely DOES make you more creative, just this is still relative to the source.
2)I noticed the aggressive/irrative behavior, but this is after the "high" when you are coming down if you are not smoking anymore. In my logical opinion its a natural effect (every action has equal/opposite reaction) of pushing those cells (whichever ones) into overdrive for a bit. The irritation, just like the high, also passes in its due course.

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
From a smoker's PoV:
1)It definitely DOES make you more creative, just this is still relative to the source.
2)I noticed the aggressive/irrative behavior, but this is after the "high" when you are coming down if you are not smoking anymore. In my logical opinion its a natural effect (every action has equal/opposite reaction) of pushing those cells (whichever ones) into overdrive for a bit. The irritation, just like the high, also passes in its due course.
I do get you're a user, you didn't have to say:

1. Proof me those creative aspects you wouldn't have when not smoking? never seen one of those except the lying down and dreaming, never seen any proof of being more able to put it to real work.
2. No, that ease of irritation is one that comes back over time, not really surpricing though knowing what it really does in your body.

O, and i forgot to mention earlier, one component of this drug can trigger depression.

Benja81

GBATemp Sporaddict
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do get you're a user, you didn't have to say:

1. Proof me those creative aspects you wouldn't have when not smoking? never seen one of those except the lying down and dreaming, never seen any proof of being more able to put it to real work.
2. No, that ease of irritation is one that comes back over time, not really surpricing though knowing what it really does in your body.

O, and i forgot to mention earlier, one component of this drug can trigger depression.
Wow, nice! How did you know I'm a 'user'?
1)No 'proof' just sharing my real-life experience.
2)Okay.

Aye, but what if ur already depressed to begin with?

Last edited by Benja81,

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Wow, nice! How did you know I'm a 'user'?
1)No 'proof' just sharing my real-life experience.
2)Okay.

Aye, but what if ur already depressed to begin with?
1) my point, is not that you might not feel it. it's more like what comes out is bullcrap at best.
2) fine
If you're already depressed, don't think it helps as anti depression, but i'm not a doctor.. might be wrong, most anti depression meds i know also can cause depression.

Reactions: Benja81

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up