• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Do you support marijuana legalization?

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Many of Eu countries like Netherlands,Spain followed by Italy, have already legalized marijuana, which i found it's the best way to fight black market drug dealers.

Last edited by leon315,
Reactions: Subtle Demise

fatherjack

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
the misuse of it shouldn't be a primary focus - People 'misuse' many things (alcohol, vehicles, glue, kitchen knives) with disastrous results.
I believe that it being termed a 'gateway' drug is correct, but only as a gateway to contact with a criminal fraternity with which some people would never have had any contact, so on this basis, and the funds it would take out of the black market, I think legalisation could be very positive.

incidentally, while we're on the subject of 'funds' working parties from UK visiting the fledgling medical cannabis businesses in USA just after startup, were accompanied by representatives from the UK treasury. I feel sure that they must have been viewing this as the new tobacco boom, with the billions in tax revenues which they could extract, so yeah, its gonna be legalised in UK.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
It is wrong how accessible and widespread alcohol is where I live. I don't fell that is healthy to my society that to allow people to drink in public places, or in places like gas stations and bakeries. I also would hate to see other substances aside from alcohol get this unregulated treatment.

On other hand, tobacco law here is amazing. You can't smoke in almost nowhere except on private places like your own house, and the marketing is made in very specific spots, with strict regulation (even the sizes of publicity material is regulated to not be abusive).

Long story short, if you tell me that the marijuana will be legal here, I want to know in witch terms first. If they make it like alcohol, I am against, but if they do like tobacco, I am all for it. I think other drugs should be allowed too besides marijuana, but all on the restrict tobacco fashion.

Reactions: zxr750j

zxr750j

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I really support legalization, misuse of any substance is always a problem but I think misuse of alcohol is far worse then misuse of weed for example. The person with too much alcohol becomes aggressive and pukes all over me the second one with a joint most likely will bore me to death if he smokes to much. To be fair: Although I have a coffeeshop around the corner, I only use the occasional alcoholic beverage as my mind altering substances.

DarkFlare69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If alcohol is legal in a certain country, then marijuana should be legal for the same consumer base. Weed is less impairing, much less likely to cause harm or injury to oneself or another, not possible to overdose on, safer for the body, has many medical benefits that treat a wide variety of physical and mental health issues, non-addictive, and overall the legalization would help the government and it would be much safer for consumers. Black market THC cartridges can cause serious lung injuries, and people buy those because they can't buy legal ones (in most cases; sometimes people will buy them just because they're cheaper and they don't know any better). Honestly it's unbelievable to me that weed is not federally legal in the United States, but alcohol is, considering all of these facts and much more that I didn't even mention.

Last edited by DarkFlare69,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Alcohol is the only drug where you can die from getting clean by the way (no i dont mean the secondary effects like suffocating on vomit or something, you can die just because you dont have alcohol if you are addicted) and the addiction never ends. even if you are dry, one drop is enough to get you back. It makes no sense.

You can do that with opiates as well.

As far as addiction never ends. I have never been fond of that approach to management/treatment. There are plenty of things you can learn to have a healthy relationship with rather than cutting them out entirely, alcohol being among those. Teach people better stress management, maybe get them to avoid things that cause it*, treat underlying conditions that led to it.

*if you are an office drone without friends that only goes between house in suburbs where you don't even know the names of your neighbours and work then maybe rather than getting them to not drink themselves into oblivion only to go back to the same routine (maybe to have to scarf do head meds by the handful each morning while chain smoking) you stop that, find some friends, move somewhere where you have to know people and get a job where you have to do something physical instead.

DuoForce

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No one deserves to be locked up for smoking weed, that is just inhumane. Obviously you shouldn't be able to whip out a blunt in public and smoke it in front of children and other people who don't want to be around it, but smoking on your own property should be 100% legal. I can't see why people want marijuana to be illegal.

SonowRaevius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Marijuana is pretty much just like tobacco when you look at how addictive it is

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/marijuana/marijuana-addictive

9% of people that use marijuana become addicted to compared to

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/01/180109214939.htm

61% for Cigarettes.

Also the number of health issues marijuana causes vs cigarettes is much, much lower and even then, it can also be consumed without smoking so there really isn't a reason for it to not be completely legal.

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not a health expert but I rarely see anyone having health complications from smoking marijuana versus people smoking cigarettes. I think they won't legalize it because they cant control the market.

D

Deleted User

it can generate more or less the same levels of adiction as tobacco and alcohol, so i dont see why not, though i dont think it should be legal to smoke in the street, tobacco or weed, the one thing i was surprised to learn is that public drinking is illegal in some countries though, just why?

PiracyForTheMasses

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it can generate more or less the same levels of adiction as tobacco and alcohol, so i dont see why not, though i dont think it should be legal to smoke in the street, tobacco or weed, the one thing i was surprised to learn is that public drinking is illegal in some countries though, just why?
Fake news. Cannabis is NOT addictive and anyone that says it is, is a brainless sheep that has absolutely no knowledge on the subject.

PiracyForTheMasses

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the misuse of it shouldn't be a primary focus - People 'misuse' many things (alcohol, vehicles, glue, kitchen knives) with disastrous results.
I believe that it being termed a 'gateway' drug is correct, but only as a gateway to contact with a criminal fraternity with which some people would never have had any contact, so on this basis, and the funds it would take out of the black market, I think legalisation could be very positive.

incidentally, while we're on the subject of 'funds' working parties from UK visiting the fledgling medical cannabis businesses in USA just after startup, were accompanied by representatives from the UK treasury. I feel sure that they must have been viewing this as the new tobacco boom, with the billions in tax revenues which they could extract, so yeah, its gonna be legalised in UK.
It is not a gateway drug, that is misinformation from governments, specifically USA government. USA government launched a misinformation campaign against cannabis. They made up the word marijuana to make cannabis sound like it was a Mexican drug. They said cannabis caused white women to have sex with black men, cannabis caused people to listen to jazz etc.

nine0nine

Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
the fact that alcohol and tobacco are legal bears no relevance to the legalization of cannabis. I agree that none are worse than the other, but we (in most of the the western world at least) have an already established culture and economy which includes them. If any of them were to be introduced in 2020, they all would face similar issues to become legal.

However, for strict medicinal use, cannabis should be legalized. Tobacco should be banned, it's just irrelevant in 2020.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
the fact that alcohol and tobacco are legal bears no relevance to the legalization of cannabis. I agree that none are worse than the other, but we (in most of the the western world at least) have an already established culture and economy which includes them. If any of them were to be introduced in 2020, they all would face similar issues to become legal.

However, for strict medicinal use, cannabis should be legalized. Tobacco should be banned, it's just irrelevant in 2020.

Generally we want laws to have a factual basis and be consistent in their reasoning. If the reasons given for maintaining such laws are harms caused then a relative comparison is a possible path. Now it invites the chance to ask if we are disallowing what people can put into their bodies (itself not a position without controversy) then does weed being illegal not invite us to in turn ban alcohol and tobacco for their harms are greater still, but that is a slightly different matter.

Equally on economy and culture and underground culture and economy still counts as a culture and economy. You can measure them, study them, understand them, chart them. Equally depending upon where you are in the world the prohibition on such things might actually be a far smaller portion of history than their allowance ( https://libguides.law.uga.edu/c.php?g=522835&p=3575350 says the 20s and 30s for the US, the usage in the 40s and 50s I am less certain but if the 60s were anything to go by...). This also says nothing of there being rather large case studies for most places in the world vis as vis legalisation (how many US states, European countries have or de facto* have at this point and for how many years now?).

*the law might be on the books but if the police don't care saving it being just something to slap someone with if they pissed them off then is it really a law?

rsx

USA Modchip Installer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't care what people do and if it helps with their medical issues then great. Or if you just want to relax after having a shitty week, more power to you. It's legal here anyway, there's stores everywhere with all kinds of varieties. The tobacco and pharmaceutical industries are another story, they're way worse than marijuana will ever be.

DarkFlare69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Marijuana has no addictive chemicals, unlike cigarettes, alcohol, and caffeine. It is still possible to become psychologically addicted though, just as it for literally anything else. You can become psychologically addicted to videogames, drinking soda, eating junk food, sex, or pretty much anything else. When people use the argument that some marijuana users become addicted, I think that's misleading since it's suggesting that the phenomenon is abnormal or shouldn't be happening. Of course people will get addicted to it just like anything else.

gregory-samba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/marijuana/marijuana-addictive

9% of people that use marijuana become addicted to compared to

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/01/180109214939.htm

61% for Cigarettes.

Also the number of health issues marijuana causes vs cigarettes is much, much lower and even then, it can also be consumed without smoking so there really isn't a reason for it to not be completely legal.

Your link states that 30% of the people get addicted while 9% are dependent. I also doubt those numbers. I was for some time involved in the marijuana business and the goal just like alcohol or tobacco is to get your customers hooked for repeat business. The majority of my customers did go on to become addicted and many went on to more dangerous drugs when they could no longer afford their addiction to pot (as the addiction is expensive). The tar content in marijuana is worse than tobacco and there's also numerous chemicals in it that haven't been studied so scientists can't say one way or another if they are bad for you, but everyone agrees that smoking anything is simply not a good idea. Due to regulations limiting the research into marijuana there's not much in the way of studies that can back up my claims, but I've been around the block enough to know exactly what happens to the majority of its users.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It is not a gateway drug, that is misinformation from governments, specifically USA government. USA government launched a misinformation campaign against cannabis. They made up the word marijuana to make cannabis sound like it was a Mexican drug. They said cannabis caused white women to have sex with black men, cannabis caused people to listen to jazz etc.

I'm well aware of the misinformation and incorrect facts the Government spread about marijuana, but as a previous marijuana dispensary employee I beg to differ on how addictive the drug is. Not only is it addicting, but it harms to minds of developing babies, children and teenagers and is bad for you if you smoke it. Just like tobacco and nicotine it does come with risks and rewards though it would be dishonest for me to state that most people who consume it can't stop doing so once they form a habit and all it takes is a few times of being high and enjoying the feeling to form a habit.

I implore both of you to please education yourself before making outlandish claims.

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-can...dication/cannabis/health-effects/effects.html

https://www.cdc.gov/marijuana/health-effects.html

Last edited by gregory-samba,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)