Do you support marijuana legalization?

Discussion in 'World News, Current Events & Politics' started by GhostLatte, May 10, 2019.

1. GhostLatte
    OP

GhostLatte GBAtemp's Official Van Master™

Mar 26, 2015
    Antarctica
    Was it dry herb or oil?

2. Benja81

Benja81 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    Benja81 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 24, 2015
    United States
    From what I read about it but not 1st hand, it was supposedly actual herb.

3. CosmoCortney

CosmoCortney Chemtrail Pilot

Apr 18, 2013
    New Zealand
    on the cool side of the pillow
    I do! Absolutely...
    The legalization on cannabis would make new medical research possible to help fight various types of cancer, help people with rheumatism, sleeping issues, anxiety and depressions.
    Here in Germany it is only legalized for medical use. But there's a huge bottleneck on availability and most psychotherapists don't dare to prescribe it or don't take you serious when suggestion using cannabis instead.
    I myself am trying the 7th antidepressant now because the others stopped working for me even on the highest recommended dose. Others caused horrible side effects I couldn't stand any time longer.
    But cannabis works differently since our body has its own cannabinoid system and knows quite well to deal with these substances. In contrary to these chemical bludgeons...

I think that determined selling can help fight illegal drug businesses and ensure a standard of quality. Additionally a huge variety of cannabis products can provide a new economical benefit.
    Last but not least, life will be easier and more relaxing

Subtle Demise likes this.
  4. Subtle Demise

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    Both of those have victims

5. Snugglevixen

Snugglevixen Princess of Cuddles

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    On your lap.
    So do drugs, alcohol and cigarettes.

6. Skelletonike

Skelletonike ♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀

GBAtemp Patron
    Skelletonike is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 26, 2008
    Portugal
    Steam City
    Short answer:

No.

7. Subtle Demise

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    How so? If your only victim is yourself, it's not a real crime. There are already laws against abuse and neglect, and they can happen while sober too, so you can't blame the drugs for those. As for the "broken family" argument, that situation is caused by legality and societal stigma and pressure.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Long answer?

CallmeBerto likes this.
  8. Skelletonike

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Dec 26, 2008
    Portugal
    Steam City
    I've lost friendships to weed.
    The case that upset me the most was my cousin, he was, without a doubt, my best friend at the time. We used to hang out all the time during our early to mid teen years, he was a skater and me, well, something along the lines of a punk obsessed with rpg games. We got along great, as time went by though, he started hanging with bad crowds, started smoking weed due to their influence. Well, as time went by our friendship became estranged.

I have lost more than one friend due to them starting weed. Some of them only stick to that and I still get along just fine with them. Others however, moved on to harsher things and our friendship got lost in the way. If they hadn't been introduced to weed, their lives would have been better nowadays. Some of them do not lead decent lives atm.

9. BiggieCheese

BiggieCheese GBAtemp Regular

Oct 29, 2017
    United States
    Yes.
    Outside of the high risk ones, trying to ban drug use is a pointless measure, drugs - regardless of its shape or form - have been used by humanity for a very long time, you can’t stop people from taking them but what you can do is take things like statistics and reliably sourced health studies and ensure they’re easy to find and comprehend, allowing for people to make a well-informed decision on whether they should use a particular drug or not

Snugglevixen likes this.
  10. Benja81

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Dec 24, 2015
    United States
    1st off, people grow, change, move away, move on etc. You may be using marijuana as a scape goat for simply the way life unfolds at times, but I cant tell you how to feel about that.

I do feel however that the 'gateway' argument is fatally flawed. Actually I think if marijuana was legal, it would be LESS of a gateway drug. Think of it this way: why do people not blame alcohol as being a gateway to harsher drugs? Its because alcohol is legal. The person that chooses to drink knows that as long as they aren't drunk in public, driving drunk, etc. that they are in no danger of legal consequences. If you smoke marijuana in a state/country where its illegal, you have now crossed a line into doing something illegal. Its now much easier to move on to something harder, since you're already on that side of the fence. Whereas the person drinking alcohol has not crossed that line. While the "addictive/unwell" person may have tried those harder drugs regardless of whether marijuana even existed. When alcohol wasn't enough they would still have tried the harder things even if marijuana didn't exist, would have just been one less stepping stone. In a world where marijuana didn't exist, would they say alcohol was a gateway drug? Idk, but would bet that they would. To take it even one step further, if alcohol and marijuana both did not exist, those hard drugs still would and even more people would be using them.

Xzi likes this.
  11. Skelletonike

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Dec 26, 2008
    Portugal
    Steam City
    In my country while it's a crime to sell drugs, it isn't a crime to consume some lighter drugs such as marijuana (unless you're carrying a lot of it). It's illegal, but it's not a crime.

12. Benja81

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Dec 24, 2015
    United States
    That is about the same as some US states, like mine. Its considered 'decriminalized' so you would get a ticket or misdemeanor, as long as it doesn't appear you are selling it or carrying too much, or growing a magic forest in your backyard lol.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted