Hacking Circle Pad patches for Super Mario 64 DS and other games (in TwilightMenu with TWPatcher and RTCom)

Keefe29

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (USA) with the D-Pad patch, I have no issues with the CPad patch (both the analog movement and the L + R + Down combination work); I am on a New 3DS with Luma3DS v13.0.2, TWiLightMenu v26.7.0 + nds-bootstrap v1.3.2, and TWPatch at 2023/07/22 build.
The CRC32 of the clean USA ROM for the D-Pad patch is 3170189F, and the GameID of the D-Pad patched ROM is BKIE-5818C636, check that yours match with these.
And be sure that the cheat of the CPad patch is active, obviously.
OK, I checked and everything for me is up to date. My game ID is different though. Mine is BKIE-F2C7834F. I still couldn't find the CRC32. I don't understand what I am supposed to put as my input on the online calculator. I think It wants a string of #. Anyways do you think my game just wasn't patched correctly or something? If that is the case, how did you go about patching yours? Also thanks for all the advice so far!

Vendicatorealato

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I don't understand what I am supposed to put as my input on the online calculator.
The ROM file itself, you can use this site, for example.

Anyways do you think my game just wasn't patched correctly or something? If that is the case, how did you go about patching yours?
I used DeltaPatcher, it validates the checksum of the original file and refuses to apply the XDelta patch to a file different from the one it was made for.

Last edited by Vendicatorealato,

Keefe29

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I used DeltaPatcher, it checks the checksum of the original file and refuses to apply the XDelta patch to a file other than the one it was made for.
Okay after going to the website I got 0acd1c49. Do you think that means I used the wrong patch or something???? I tried repatching the ROM using the link you provided and got the same results. Did you use a different Xdelta file than me. Could you show me where you got the Xdelta file?

Vendicatorealato

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Last edited by Vendicatorealato,
Reactions: shoco

JVG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can use r4cce to edit the checksum the cheat is attached to directly by clicking the 3 dots near "dup" and selecting the patched rom
I did this but my 3ds is giving me a white screen when I try and boot the game with the cheat enabled. Boots fine (with simple d-pad support) if the Cpad cheat is disabled. Not sure what else to do.

edit: may have had a bad TwlBg dumped. Tried again and it seems to be working!

Last edited by JVG,

Keefe29

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The CRC32 of mine Spirit Tracks (USA) D-Pad patched ROM is F846F7F3.

In my opinion, yes, you’re doing something wrong in some way.

I used this, the same that is mentioned in the main post of this thread.
Okay, I repatched the rom. Had the exact same CRC32 and game ID as you. When I tried the circle pad code it still wouldn't work. I'd only have 8 directions of movement. Is there anything else I still have to change?

Vendicatorealato

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Okay, I repatched the rom. Had the exact same CRC32 and game ID as you. When I tried the circle pad code it still wouldn't work. I'd only have 8 directions of movement. Is there anything else I still have to change?
I'm out of ideas at this point.
Is your 3DS updated to the firmware 11.17.0?
You can try to do a clean re-install of TWiLightMenu (delete \_nds folder and re-download it from Universal Updater or manually), but I doubt that doing so will solve the problem.

Keefe29

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm out of ideas at this point.
Is your 3DS updated to the firmware 11.17.0?
You can try to do a clean re-install of TWiLightMenu (delete \_nds folder and re-download it from Universal Updater or manually), but I doubt that doing so will solve the problem.
I'll try doing/checking all those things. Do you think you could send a video or something just so I can see how it works on your side? or talk about your process of patching it? Maybe I'm just happening to miss a super obvious step or something lol.

Vendicatorealato

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Do you think you could send a video or something just so I can see how it works on your side?
I’m sorry but I won’t make a video, the difference between the 8-directional movement and the 360º movement is clear. The CPad patch on Spirit Tracks works exactly as on Phantom Hourglass.

or talk about your process of patching it?
The entire patching process is identical to Phantom Hourglass, so if you got it to work, the steps for Spirit Tracks are the same.

Keefe29

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m sorry but I won’t make a video, the difference between the 8-directional movement and the 360º movement is clear. The CPad patch on Spirit Tracks works exactly as on Phantom Hourglass.

The entire patching process is identical to Phantom Hourglass, so if you got it to work, the steps for Spirit Tracks are the same.
Okay yeah completely understand! You know at this point I think I might just give up. At the very least the game is playable so I guess that's good enough. Thanks for all the help though!

Reactions: Vendicatorealato

Kwagsyre

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I was planning on asking about using these with physical carts, but I see you already responded to that question saying you didn't really know much. So instead, I'll add what I've learned on the topic through my own research, and see if anyone can help with further research. The TL;DR to physical carts is: no, afaik.

To start, I know I have the codes working on their own because I'm able to load them through dumps on Twilight Menu. So they are initially working. I tried it with Nitrohax, both the 3DS version and the dsi version ran through Twilight Menu. In both cases, I was able to run the games fine with other smaller codes, but these codes would white screen. I assume that's because Nitrohax has some sort of character limit for codes.

(Do note that Nitrohax doesn't work with DSi enhanced games. I know that applies to the Gen 5 Pokemon, but idk if that applies to any of these games.)

I was thinking that *maybe* a physical Action Replay *might* work, but I don't own one (anymore) nor do I know if they even work on all 3ds consoles.

I've only tested NitroHax with SM64ds, Okamiden, Spirit Tracks, and Phantom Hourglass. I'm not sure what this character limit is, assuming there is one. I also haven't tested it with the orginal Nitrohax that takes .xml files. Just the newer version that accepts .dat files. Soooo yeah, that's my testing when it comes to using these with physical games. If anyone would like to add to it, go ahead, but as of now the TL;DR is: no, it's not possible to load these with physical carts.

JabBebb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks refuse to open when I add the CPad cheats to them. They sit on the white screen. Any ideas?

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
It would be amazing to have this mod for Phantasy Star Zero! It seems quite a few people complain about the controls.
Cpad Analog movement, and if possible the mini cstick for the camera, would be a real quality of life enhancement for the game.

ZL / ZR being able to trigger actions from the 2nd action palette would be cool too, but maybe out of scope.
Or hacking in 4 action palettes, switching via the now freed up dpad... just thinking out loud :D

Last edited by cearp,

Phyla

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I combined DeadSkullzJr's NDS(i) Cheat Databases's latest release (December 25, 2023) with this
I was going to edit this to get the alternate controls for Metroid Prime Hunters, but I have realized that this file does not open in Cheat Code Editor 1.1. What are you using to edit this?

shoco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
RE-RE-EDIT: So I indeed managed to combine all your file for MPH to get what I want ie inverted c-stick but not gyro + updated controls with buttons for missile and morph ball. However, I cannot find how to invert the c-stick for Moon, it does not seem to be encoded the same way as for MPH.... reverse-engineering meets its limits I guess 😒
Here

Im not sure if anyone else has been having this issue but Ive been playing through metroid prime hunters again on my new 3ds xl with the mod using analogue movement, gyro, c-stick, etc. and the analogue movement is proving to be rather buggy. In exploration its absolutely perfect, but when in battle with another bounty hunter or guardian the analogue stick controls both the bounty hunter and samus at the same time. The fight will go on as normal when standing still but if I walk in circles the enemy will stop whatever its doing and also move in circles, it can be kinda funny when theres 3 or so guardians in the same room as theyll all just spin at the same time which kinda messes with the ai and in turn I end up needing to use the d-pad. You can also move in cutscenes with it. Could there be another variation of the cheat where it includes gyro and c-stick input but uses the default 8 input thumbstick? Im using a dumped AMHP version of the game and if needed I can dump my AMHE version and try the mod on there to see if I get different results. I can also provide videos if wanted.
This is most certainly my bug. Not surprisingly, as I don't really play these. I'll try to fix it soon.

If I remember correctly, it should only be the first 512 bytes of the rom (its header). Otherwise it would be too performance heavy. Although it doesn't matter in this case, it also theoretically means that two slightly different roms may share the exact same checksum

Okay yeah completely understand! You know at this point I think I might just give up. At the very least the game is playable so I guess that's good enough. Thanks for all the help though!
It's fine. Sometimes things just don't work the way we want them to. At least, I have no idea why it happens

To start, I know I have the codes working on their own because I'm able to load them through dumps on Twilight Menu. So they are initially working. I tried it with Nitrohax, both the 3DS version and the dsi version ran through Twilight Menu. In both cases, I was able to run the games fine with other smaller codes, but these codes would white screen. I assume that's because Nitrohax has some sort of character limit for codes.
Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks refuse to open when I add the CPad cheats to them. They sit on the white screen. Any ideas?
Essentially there are two possible reasons for this white screen. First, as it's been said in the troubleshooting section, you haven't patched the TwlFirm (or you have, but TwilightMenu swaps it with an unpatched one). Second, the game just crashes for any imaginable reason (it's obviously caused by my patch, but I have no way to know why and how to fix it). I would suggest you to check if at least widescreen patches work for you (they also require patched TwlFirm, and if they don't function properly, mine won't either)

It would be amazing to have this mod for Phantasy Star Zero! It seems quite a few people complain about the controls.
Cpad Analog movement, and if possible the mini cstick for the camera, would be a real quality of life enhancement for the game.

ZL / ZR being able to trigger actions from the 2nd action palette would be cool too, but maybe out of scope.
Or hacking in 4 action palettes, switching via the now freed up dpad... just thinking out loud :D
Okay, I'll look into it once I have my free time

I was going to edit this to get the alternate controls for Metroid Prime Hunters, but I have realized that this file does not open in Cheat Code Editor 1.1. What are you using to edit this?
As usual, R4CCE

Attachments

• moon__inverted_cstick_y.zip
    7.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited by shoco,

Keefe29

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can anyone please make these patches for Wii U??? :-)
I think there already is a patch for Mario 64 DS on Wii U. If you are on Aroma just go to the homebrew store and look it up (I think). I might be wrong though. I don't really play DS games on my Wii U lol. I'm not sure about the other games tho.

Luke M.

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any possibility i could get indiviual codes for star fox for the different aerial manuevers, like the barrel roll and the flips? I'd like to play on pc but the old dpad code is severely lacking and the one here can't be used on pc :/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto