ROM Hack Legend of Zelda Spirit Track D-Pad Patch

Greiga Master

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So this patch lets you play the US version of Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks with mostly non-touch based controls. The new control bindings are

Control Bindings:
  • D-Pad=Run
  • Y+Dpad=Walk
  • B=Wide slash
  • B+Dpad=Long slash
  • Y+B=Spin Attack
  • A=Interact
  • A+Dpad=Roll
Things that were originally bound the the D-Pad such as bringing down the map can still be accessed using Select + that direction. Some stuff like equipment will still have to be used with the touchscreen.
Here's a short demo of the new controls being used:

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/la3odeu7o0t4m7i/Legend_of_Zelda_Spirit_Tracks_Dpad_Patch.zip

Source: https://github.com/StraDaMa/Legend-of-Zelda-Spirit-Tracks-D-Pad-Patch

Last edited by Greiga Master,

CuriousTommy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That pretty cool! I always wonder what it would be like to play with the D-Pad instead. I wonder if someone came up with a way to reposition the camera to make it look like the other 3D Zelda games.

Reactions: cvskid

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
That one is rather rudimentary compared to Greiga's. It's still a good patch, just not going to be what some newer users are expecting after Greiga's.
Well, it is a much older patch and was meant to eliminate the touchpad as the single means of controlling Link's movement, which it did fine. Nobody complained because it got the job done, and I would guess that at this point, unless this patch can be used as a basis to modify the patch for Phantom Hourglass, it will continue to get the job done for those who want to use it.

In the long run, Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks are basically the same game, so if someone prefers Spirit Tracks for its more complex patch, then they'll essentially get the same experience, just with a train instead of a ship.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, it is a much older patch and was meant to eliminate the touchpad as the single means of controlling Link's movement, which it did fine. Nobody complained because it got the job done, and I would guess that at this point, unless this patch can be used as a basis to modify the patch for Phantom Hourglass, it will continue to get the job done for those who want to use it.

In the long run, Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks are basically the same game, so if someone prefers Spirit Tracks for its more complex patch, then they'll essentially get the same experience, just with a train instead of a ship.
I know, I was trying to let people know it's not going to be the same as the OP's ST one. If it bugs someone enough, then they can make their own patch. Just sharing information.

nitendo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Quick question:

My unpatched rom is 131072 KB and the patched one is 91891 KB - how come?

EDIT: Nevermind. I checked the unpatched rom in a hex-editor and found that it was padded with about 40 megs of FF - what a waste of space.....

/dACE

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick question:

My unpatched rom is 131072 KB and the patched one is 91891 KB - how come?

EDIT: Nevermind. I checked the unpatched rom in a hex-editor and found that it was padded with about 40 megs of FF - what a waste of space.....

/dACE
Welcome to ROMs. If you don't want to waste space, have them trimmed.

nitendo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Got home and tried this hack out - great effort Greiga Master!

If you feel up to it - make the same level of hack for phantom hourglass, your version would blow the old one out of the water (pun intended). If you dont feel up to it...thats cool to.

/dACE

Silentsurvivor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OH MY GOD FINALLY

I LOVE YOU SO MUCH THANKS FOR THIS HOLY SHIT IT'S SO GOOD IT'S WHAT THE GAME SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE FIRST PLACE

Now if only the Phantom Hourglass patch would be this polished. BUT I finished that one already - Spirit Tracks I didn't, goddamn I hate the touch controls. Time to finally sink on it.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RADICAL!

Maybe now I'll be able to get into the game. For some reason I found it a lot harder to do so than with PH.

Greiga Master

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was really hoping to have gotten this right the first time but while playing the game there were a few issues with the patch. For one in areas with weird cameras like the tower of spirits D-pad movement wasn't working and rolling wasn't working after talking to NPCs sometimes. I fixed these issues. Also while I was at it I changed the whirlwind item to be activated by pressing A instead of blowing into the mic.

Reactions: TecXero

angelhp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thaks for the patch i see a bug when i play this game
The bug is :in the zone when you have blowing the microphone at the Carbo 's map
I cant see the way because in the normal game you have to blowing the map but in the patch game not found sorry for my english i am spanish thanks

trigao

Ninten
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
first.... THANK YOU SO MUCH
i think the mic controlled things fine, dont need to change that settings
you could make a patch with mic settings untouched and this patch you've already posted

AANDD... any chance to make a PH patch like this?

Reactions: cvskid

Greiga Master

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thaks for the patch i see a bug when i play this game
The bug is :in the zone when you have blowing the microphone at the Carbo 's map
I cant see the way because in the normal game you have to blowing the map but in the patch game not found sorry for my english i am spanish thanks

If I did it right the mic blow should be replicated by pressing A. Things for other items like the spirit flute also work properly with A instead of blowing. If A doesnt work in that zone and if it's possible I'd like a save for this point in the game, this seems like something worth looking into since blowing should be working there.
first.... THANK YOU SO MUCH
i think the mic controlled things fine, dont need to change that settings
you could make a patch with mic settings untouched and this patch you've already posted

AANDD... any chance to make a PH patch like this?

I think there needs to be an alternative to using the mic. Having to blow into the mic every time you want to use the whirlwind or spirit flute seems really tedious for example. This is especially bad for people with a DS with mics that don't work or playing on emulator where you'd need a mic on your computer. These people would have a much harder time completing the game.
I didn't think I needed to do a patch like this for PH because there was one already, but I got the chance to try out the patch from the link and it doesn't seem to work as I expected. The directional movement doesn't seem precise and the slashing only works half the time. I'd consider doing a similar patch for PH if I find that the changes this patch makes can be used with little modification.

Reactions: trigao

xZabuzax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I created this account to say thanks, this hack seems pretty polished and i can finally play this game with the D-Pad, i use an emulator and i don't like using the mouse or the stylus to play these Zelda games.

I didn't think I needed to do a patch like this for PH because there was one already, but I got the chance to try out the patch from the link and it doesn't seem to work as I expected. The directional movement doesn't seem precise and the slashing only works half the time. I'd consider doing a similar patch for PH if I find that the changes this patch makes can be used with little modification.

The Phantom Hourglass hack to move with the D-Pad is not as polished as this one, this is why i never got into it. I really hope that you could make this type of hack with Phantom Hourglass too, i'm crossing my fingers hoping that this hack will work with it with little modification too.

Anyways, thanks a lot Greiga Master.

trigao

Ninten
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If I did it right the mic blow should be replicated by pressing A. Things for other items like the spirit flute also work properly with A instead of blowing. If A doesnt work in that zone and if it's possible I'd like a save for this point in the game, this seems like something worth looking into since blowing should be working there.

I think there needs to be an alternative to using the mic. Having to blow into the mic every time you want to use the whirlwind or spirit flute seems really tedious for example. This is especially bad for people with a DS with mics that don't work or playing on emulator where you'd need a mic on your computer. These people would have a much harder time completing the game.

i see.. =D

anyway THANK YOU for you wonderfull job making this patch
and
i'm waiting for PH patch.... only you can make it happen

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over