Hacking WiiU now requiring update to use online features

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It did actually. It just didn't always kick in right away for some reason. I'd be able to browse the store and play online for awhile after an update, then it would insist I update before continuing.

OP stands for either "Original Post" or "Original Poster", depending on the context.
For online play you are incorrect sir. As long as you blocked disc updates. Up until the official WFC servers went down I was able to play mario kart wii online on firmwares 2.0-4.3 without a hitch. I never tried anything below 2.0 though lol, that would be barbaric haha. FYI i had a launch wii hence why I could safely downgrade below 3.2. Unless you got our wii on or around launch DON'T DOWNGRADE BELOW 3.2 EVEN WITH DOP-MII WIIBREW EDITION, you're just asking for a brick :P

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And 0 f**ks were given because the wireless where I live is too damned unstable for me to enjoy anyway.

You agree to the EULA by turning the console on for the first time.

Right, but their existing agreement (and most modern console agreements) pretty much fully protect from piracy, at least.

WulfyStylez Right, and like I said earlier, I personally don't give a shit about the EULA. Period. I do it anyway because I don't care, plain and simple. Most of the people on here are sycophantic about abiding to the EULA either ;) We can discuss this all day long about EULA's, Terms of Service, etc, but in the long run, many people simply don't give a tin schilling. No matter how many times people will bring it up, it's not gonna make me care about it really. There are too many people that feel the need to be white knight sycophants and super obedient to EULA BS.

loco365

Trophies
XP
I'd love to see people post on Nintendo's support forums that suddenly they can't play online because their internet can't handle a system update (Some kind of BS reason, although it could be true), and that they Googled and found out it's a trick to get people to update so that they can't stay downgraded until piracy becomes an option.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Oh god, this thread is pure gold.

Did any of you learn anything from last gen? If you hack your console, STAY OFFLINE! You either go online with your console OR hack it. And now you're all getting mad at Nintendo for blocking your consoles? Let's blame Nintendo for covering their own asses so third parties will still want to make games for them. Stay classy, 'Temp.

I agree with this. Nintendo didn't give two shits about the Web exploit (MK8 hacking) until someone showed a screenshot of NAND dumping tools being shown on the game pad. Which opens the door to homebrew..annnd then piracy.

Nintendo is only doing what any corporation would do. secure their ASSets. No developer is going to want to make a game for a console that can be stolen online for free by any yay-hoo who didn't update. If the Wii-U does get hacked fully with a kernel exploit. Expect many 3rd party developers pulling out faster than the PSP. The Wii-U is already a sinking ship. And piracy will blow a cannonball into the floor. Sure it will increase console sales (for a limited time because the ones that have the lower firmware are limited) but the developers who make the games will deplete very slowly due to the fear of losing money, which in turn, will kill it. Because even though the console will sell well. Developers will avoid it.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
3DS had an exploit in 4.5 and piracy through Gateway...Don't recall ever seeing stories about third party developers pulling out.

Nintendo's issues getting third party devs onboard the Wii-U is not related to piracy. It's bad marketing decisions and a multitude of other problems. Don't beat the dead horse on the whole piracy is going to kill the console argument again. It's just asking for another thread locking.

Reactions: Ryanrocks462

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo didn't give two shits about the Web exploit (MK8 hacking) until someone showed a screenshot of NAND dumping tools being shown on the game pad. Which opens the door to homebrew..annnd then piracy.

Oh my god we're talking about this again. No. That was fake. And how does NAND dumping open the door to homebrew? You'd think that, y'know, the browser exploit that lets you run arbitrary code would do that.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
For online play you are incorrect sir. As long as you blocked disc updates. Up until the official WFC servers went down I was able to play mario kart wii online on firmwares 2.0-4.3 without a hitch. I never tried anything below 2.0 though lol, that would be barbaric haha. FYI i had a launch wii hence why I could safely downgrade below 3.2. Unless you got our wii on or around launch DON'T DOWNGRADE BELOW 3.2 EVEN WITH DOP-MII WIIBREW EDITION, you're just asking for a brick :P
I was talking about the Wii U in that post. I did mention earlier that the Wii had a similar requirement, although it was less "advanced" so you could get around it without too much trouble. Once you were in the game, there was no checking.

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3DS had an exploit in 4.5 and piracy through Gateway...Don't recall ever seeing stories about third party developers pulling out.

Nintendo's issues getting third party devs onboard the Wii-U is not related to piracy. It's bad marketing decisions and a multitude of other problems. Don't beat the dead horse on the whole piracy is going to kill the console argument again. It's just asking for another thread locking.

Am I the only one who think releases on 3DS have slowed way down?

Reactions: stanleyopar2000

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Seriously people, this should come as no surprise at all. Nintendo showed their great ineptitude when it comes to Online on the Wii and the DS, but they had to learn at some point.

You have the privilege, and I'll say that again, privilege of using their online infrastructure, which is a service (services being *separate* from the goods you purchase, the goods being your consoles and games), completely free of charge as long as you follow the Terms of Service which require you to keep your system up-to-date. If you disagree with the Terms of Service, you don't get to use the service, it's really that simple. You're not being punished for anything, you're not being vilified, you're just not following the Terms of the Service of a service you'd like to use and as such you can't use it.

You're at the exact same crossroads as everybody else and have to make a choice - either you'll go Online and legit or Offline and with hacks and mods, that's what it all runs down to. You might think that this is unfair, but it's as fair as it gets.

I'm sure that eventually methods of fooling this new system will pop up, but even then you're going to use them at your own peril and your own responsibility because Terms of Service exist for a reason and you can't expect Nintendo to offer you a service when you disregard their rulesboard.

BethanyBlump

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that chadderz is able to physically dump the RAM. Is he the only one? Is that why he's the only one with a kernel exploit right now?

Well if I'd looked in the general hacking discussion thread I would have seen that other people are dumping RAM with code. Woops!

Marionumber1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that chadderz is able to physically dump the RAM. Is he the only one? Is that why he's the only one with a kernel exploit right now?

No, he used the kernel exploit he had to let him dump the RAM. What he did was turn off paging, allowing his code to access everything in physical memory with no restrictions (except for IOSU and Latte registers, protected by MEMPROT and AHBPROT, respectively).

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Well shit. That really screws everyone over in regards to homebrew. Not sure what I'll do now...
Hopefully homebrew will be developed that can spoof the version number so we can play online. I'll wait a while to see if that happens at least.

Reactions: Ryanrocks462

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    4d1xlaan tempBOT: 4d1xlaan has joined the room.