Wii U is super messed up after trying to install Aroma

Turbo_Interceptor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had CBHC on my Wii U a LONG time ago. I tossed it in a box and didn't touch it for a few years. About 2 years ago, I got it out and removed CBHC and installed Tiramisu and used it for a few weeks then back into the box. Today, I was wanting to put Aroma on there and followed the guide and was able to dump my nand and then things went to shite. Now, when I turn on the WIi U, it just sits at a black screen playing the startup tune forever. I nuked everything off the SD card and put just the files back to get going with Aroma and no go.

If I turn the Wii U on and hold down the B button, it brings me to a screen that wants me to select a payload and it just has the option called 'default'. Nothing I hit gets me off that screen.

If I boot the Wii U with no SD card, it complains that it can't find the payload.elf file in the Wii U directory but it IS there however I think it's looking for a particular version?

I tried 5 different SD cards, all formatted as FAT32, 32K clusters. (2, 16GB cards, 2, 32GB cards and a 64GB card). I highly doubt my SD cards (or the slot) is to blame because if I boot the Wii U without the SD card in (and get that payload.elf error), when it boots to the main screen I can save avatars to the SD card.

I followed the guide to reinstall Tiramisu but keep ending up with a blank screen during boot.

My Wii U isn't bricked because if I remove the SD card, it boots just fine (minus the error about payload.elf) ..... just need to figure out the right combination of files on the SD card.

4d1xlaan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I boot the Wii U with no SD card, it complains that it can't find the payload.elf file in the Wii U directory but it IS there however I think it's looking for a particular version?
How can it find it, if the SD card isn't in?

I would check to make sure your files aren't corrupted tbh

If you have access to the browser, I would probably try putting the sd card back in after the console is finished booting, and doing browser exploit to get into homebrew menu. then you can at least enter payloadloader installer and undo the autoboot.

also, show your sd card directory tree so we can know if you do have everything, or if you're missing stuff

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If I turn the Wii U on and hold down the B button, it brings me to a screen that wants me to select a payload and it just has the option called 'default'. Nothing I hit gets me off that screen.
You're probably missing some files. Redo the SD preparation: https://wiiu.hacks.guide/#/aroma/sd-preparation and double check the SD card layout (they show you a screenshot for a reason).

no SD card, it complains that it can't find the payload.elf file in the Wii U directory but it IS there
As @4d1xlaan asked already: How can it be there if the SD card isn't there? That's mutually exclusive...

flowlapache

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
How much are you sure you have correctly remove CBHC? and correctly "installed" tiramisu and aroma?
As they said, try again your SD preparation from the beginning.n If your environnement (or payload) loader is well installed, it should work (with the SD card in the wiiU of course...)

Turbo_Interceptor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're probably missing some files. Redo the SD preparation: https://wiiu.hacks.guide/#/aroma/sd-preparation and double check the SD card layout (they show you a screenshot for a reason).

How can it find it, if the SD card isn't in?

I would check to make sure your files aren't corrupted tbh

If you have access to the browser, I would probably try putting the sd card back in after the console is finished booting, and doing browser exploit to get into homebrew menu. then you can at least enter payloadloader installer and undo the autoboot.

also, show your sd card directory tree so we can know if you do have everything, or if you're missing stuff

I should have worded things a little better but when the SD card is inserted, the Wii U doesn't boot. No errors on the screen.

If I remove the SD card, it complains about how it can't find the payload.elf file but eventually loads the main Wii U screen. Re-insert the SD and boot, just an infinite black screen.

How much are you sure you have correctly remove CBHC? and correctly "installed" tiramisu and aroma?
As they said, try again your SD preparation from the beginning.n If your environnement (or payload) loader is well installed, it should work (with the SD card in the wiiU of course...)

I'm 100% certain CBHC is removed and Tiramisu was working perfectly before I started down the Aroma path.

I have good news though. I deleted everything off the SD card (again) and put just the Tiramisu files back. When the Wii U starts, I get dumped into this 'boot screen' where I can select Tiramisu and I get to the main Wii U screen and everything works.

I think the problem was, when I was copying the Aroma files over, it said to overwrite everything. The payload.elf file included with some of the Aroma setup files was the culprit.

I re-built my SD card and didn't overwrite the payload.elf file from the Aroma packages but copied over the rest and now, when I boot the Wii U, I get the option of Tiramisu AND Aroma! I can select one or the other and everything is working fine.

I don't think things are 100% setup correctly but at least my Wii U is booting. I think I'll head over to Aroma's Discord channel to button everything up.

Thanks for the replies though!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @NinStar, I usually stop around 8 lol if someone seems legit I stop at that one. Lol