Hacking WiiU now requiring update to use online features

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well shit. That really screws everyone over in regards to homebrew. Not sure what I'll do now...
Hopefully homebrew will be developed that can spoof the version number so we can play online. I'll wait a while to see if that happens at least.

Did people honestly expect to be able to safely go online and hack their consoles? This happens all the time, it takes time for it to kick in, but this has always been the case. Wants hacks, no online, want online, no hacks

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Did people honestly expect to be able to safely go online and hack their consoles? This happens all the time, it takes time for it to kick in, but this has always been the case. Wants hacks, no online, want online, no hacks
Yes.
This doesn't happen all the time, not with Nintendo. Never with Nintendo. Based on previous experiences with Nintendo one could only assume that they would continue in the same way.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes.
This doesn't happen all the time, not with Nintendo. Never with Nintendo. Based on previous experiences with Nintendo one could only assume that they would continue in the same way.

Read what JoostinOnline said earlier, it's always been a requirement to be up to date to access online services, but that doesn't always take effect immediately as it has to roll out from the servers. Don't believe me? Then ask him. 3DS is the same way, you can't access online without updating to the latest FW. If you don't like it, either wait till there's a hack or update. We can't have both for a long time.

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus

Exactly, as reading some of the really SALTY comments here, people need to grow the fuck up. If you don't like waiting for homebrew and expliots stfu and go play your precious MK8, who cares. I know I don't and if it bothers them so much about online, buy another console purely for online, it's as simple as that. It's been like this since the PS3, Xbox 360 with the same old bullshit and whining.

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
Exactly, as reading some of the really SALTY comments here, people need to grow the fuck up. If you don't like waiting for homebrew and expliots stfu and go play your precious MK8, who cares. I know I don't and if it bothers them so much about online, buy another console purely for online, it's as simple as that. It's been like this since the PS3, Xbox 360 with the same old bullshit and whining.

Right. It is the same thing as the 3ds. Buy a 4.5 3ds for homebrew, newest version for online.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Read what JoostinOnline said earlier, it's always been a requirement to be up to date to access online services, but that doesn't always take effect immediately as it has to roll out from the servers. Don't believe me? Then ask him. 3DS is the same way, you can't access online without updating to the latest FW. If you don't like it, either wait till there's a hack or update. We can't have both for a long time.
I can access online just fine on my hacked 3DS. On the 3DS, as with the Wii, only eShop and newer games care about the firmware version. And that's fine, it's not the same as blocking online entirely. Up until just now the Wii U was the same, who would expect them to suddenly change that out of the blue a long time after the console is released?

Reactions: Ryanrocks462

GbaTempr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I wonder how that happened. My standby mode is disabled. My update servers were blocked according to a thread I read here. My last time playing MK8 online an update was downloaded and now it keeps harassing me to install it. I can keep saying no, but it sure is annoying.

No idea how it wound up on my system in the first place.

And now I can't even play MK8 anymore.

I honestly never expected this from Nintendo.
Too bad really, since I bought quite a few eShop games so far. Was planning on buying more once the people here had a homebrew loader in place through the current web exploit.
Now I just plan on hacking my vWii and playing games off line that way. No more eShop revenue from someone that already has over 600 coins in Club Nintendo. Their loss.

I am in the same boat. Standby was off, but I played MK8 online yesterday. Now it keeps bugging me to update.

What gives? I did not want anything to be downloaded automatically. Is there any action we can take? I don't have standby turned on, and I have all update servers blocked. This seems borderline illegal. Why did my Wii U download an update while I was playing MK8 online?

I did not allow the Wii U to download anything, nor do I want it to install anything. It simply did it all on its own. Seems very fishy.

Well great. It actually installed the latest version. It didn't give me a choice! It just started installing it and told me not to turn off my console. This HAS to be illegal. Fucking worthless Nintendo! Hack it please. Hack the SHIT out of it.

FPSRussi4

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
I want to smack the hell out of everyone in this thread. You have always been required to update for online access.

NOTHING HAS CHANGED!!!

font size=how important your point must be
Also, bit of a silly question, but I wish to clarify: the browser is an online service, but it's NOT required to update in order to access?

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
font size=how important your point must be
Also, bit of a silly question, but I wish to clarify: the browser is an online service, but it's NOT required to update in order to access?

right, it works

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
how does THAT work then? Or should I not question it and chalk it up to luck?

I don't know. on my wiiU, in 5.1.0, if i'm on a game or in wiiU menu, press home, launch internet browser, it works as it should.

Reactions: Fpsrussia117

mutinize

dazed and confused
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know. on my wiiU, in 5.1.0, if i'm on a game or in wiiU menu, press home, launch internet browser, it works as it should.
I can second this, I've been using it to stream television in lieu of Netflix.

I'm on the verge of updating so I can play Monster Hunter some more, but the only qualm I have is the thought of Nintendo requiring a future update that breaks my vWii to all hell so I'm stuck offline and without homebrew. I really hope they don't do that.

Reactions: VinsCool

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :O