Hacking WiiU now requiring update to use online features

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's bunk. Until you sign a contract before purchasing hardware, you're BUYING the hardware. You don't have the right to do whatever you want to it AND use Nintendo's services (including the games and OS), but you certainly have every right to do whatever the hell you want with it outside of that. Neither party can have their cake and eat it to, but both have rights until you're required to sign a legally binding contract BEFORE purchasing the hardware.
You can't do anything on the system before agreeing to the EULA, which says that you won't reverse engineer the system unless permitted by law (DMCA in the US would make homebrew okay, piracy illegal). Also, the license which is shown at first setup clearly states that unauthorized technical modification can render your wii u permanently unplayable (brick it).

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can't do anything on the system before agreeing to the EULA, which says that you won't reverse engineer the system unless permitted by law (DMCA in the US would make homebrew okay, piracy illegal). Also, the license which is shown at first setup clearly states that unauthorized technical modification can render your wii u permanently unplayable (brick it).

People know the risks, and the EULA is only good if you agree to it, and Nintendo can provide services if you do. You disagree, then it's out of your hands and if you brick the console, too bad, but that has never stopped people before, most people who hack don't really care about the EULA either, that's for sure. I know I don't, if people violate the EULA, and disable the WiFi connections on the console, Nintendo can't do a bloody thing lol :rofl2:

People are willing to risk it because they really don't care in the long run, just saying. Never stopped people from modding the DS, PSP, Wii, PS3, DC, Wii U, 3DS, etc ;) EULA or not, that won't stop people from doing those mods.

goober

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I clearly said you can't modify AND use software or the OS, that would include turning it on and proceeding to agree to any terms. You are agreeing to the SOFTWARE USE, NOT EXPLICIT HARDWARE. You can do whatever you want with the hardware before even turning it on. What you can't do is run, agree to the terms and then run exploits from within Nintendo's own code. But you can do anything physically to it you want, including -in theory- completely wiping all Nintendo code and replacing it with your own before you boot any of their software.

If they want to 100% lock you out of ANY modifications WHATSOEVER, it MUST be done BEFORE you BUY the hardware. Because only then is it a proper leasing situation of the hardware in its entirety.

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People know the risks, and the EULA is only good if you agree to it, and Nintendo can provide services if you do. You disagree, then it's out of your hands and if you brick the console, too bad, but that has never stopped people before, most people who hack don't really care about the EULA either, that's for sure. I know I don't, if people violate the EULA, and disable the WiFi connections on the console, Nintendo can't do a bloody thing lol :rofl2:.

You agree to the EULA by turning the console on for the first time.
I clearly said you can't modify AND use software or the OS, that would include turning it on and proceeding to agree to any terms. You are agreeing to the SOFTWARE USE, NOT EXPLICIT HARDWARE. You can do whatever you want with the hardware before even turning it on. What you can't do is run, agree to the terms and then run exploits from within Nintendo's own code. But you can do anything physically to it you want, including -in theory- completely wiping all Nintendo code and replacing it with your own before you boot any of their software.

If they want to 100% lock you out of ANY modifications WHATSOEVER, it MUST be done BEFORE you BUY the hardware. Because only then is it a proper leasing situation of the hardware in its entirety.
Right, but their existing agreement (and most modern console agreements) pretty much fully protect from piracy, at least.

goober

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You agree to the EULA by turning the console on for the first time.

Right, but their existing agreement (and most modern console agreements) pretty much fully protect from piracy, at least.

Right, but I'm not talking about piracy or homebrew. I'm talking about your rights to do whatever you want with only the hardware. You made a grand statement about how you don't own the hardware which is completely false. Now, just because you own the hardware does not entitle you to use Nintendo's software however you see fit, which is enabling piracy or homebrew. You own the hardware, not the software even though you technically "purchased" it bundled together.

Which is why, technically homebrew itself is legal so long as no code from Nintendo is used, but technically running that homebrew on Nintendo hardware from its software (OS), after you agree to their terms, is actually illegal by said terms if you're using Nintendo's OS to execute the code. Companies generally don't care for the most part because it's not worth the bad PR and legal costs to go after something that technically isn't causing any potential lost revenue. Which is why they focus on piracy only, usually.

But the explicit hardware is yours to do as you see fit until you're required to agree to terms BEFORE you buy the hardware. Think about a cable modem. If you lease it from the cable company you can't do anything, whatsoever, to it while you're leasing it. You agree to this before any money changes hands.

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
Shigeru Miyamoto is reading this thread, plotting to destroy the hackers...

blog16.jpg

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh look what we have here, Nintendo being sneaky bastards as usual. Well too bad for them, I gave up on the eShop long ago. Joke's on them, I disabled my WiFi on the Wii U anyway, so ha.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight....

Without the eshop you can't get quality games like ShovelKnight, I'd be very annoyed without access to the eshop.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Can't believe this has 8 pages already.

Here's an easy solution, pick one of the two: Homebrew or Online? Stick to it and don't complain.

Definitely homebrew. I can live without online.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Oh god, this thread is pure gold.

Did any of you learn anything from last gen? If you hack your console, STAY OFFLINE! You either go online with your console OR hack it. And now you're all getting mad at Nintendo for blocking your consoles? Let's blame Nintendo for covering their own asses so third parties will still want to make games for them. Stay classy, 'Temp.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6v3cT3b59A&t=12s