Hacking Wiiu hacked? yes please

Xizer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Piracy is not good progress. It leads to 3rd party devs not making any games for the Wii U.

Hahahaha

Like they were doing that anyway!

I hope it does lead to less games on the Wii U, or at least less exclusives. The less third party games on this underpowered piece of crap system and the more released on superior platforms like PC the better.

I only have a Wii U for Nintendo games, and quite frankly, I'm tired of having to buy an underpowered, gimmicky box only for Nintendo games every five years. We would all be better off Nintendo was forced out of the hardware business and goes third party like Sega. Sega releases most of their games on PC now instead of some underpowered proprietary console. Has anyone else here had the opportunity to play some of SEGA's games like SEGA All-Stars Racing Transformed on PC? It's amazing how much cleaner and smoother it is than on the consoles. It would be nice if Nintendo had to do the same thing and we could get Nintendo games running on proper hardware for once.

Just last month we were all forced to suffer from the Wii U's crappy hardware with the exclusive third party release of Lego City Undercover. 720p. 30 frames per second. No anti-aliasing whatsoever. Horrible draw distances. An annoying depth of field effect that can't be disabled. We all have to put up with this garbage because it's exclusive to this underpowered system. After coming from playing all the prior Lego games in 1080p, 60 FPS, full anti-aliasing, etc. on PC and having to put up with this watered down garbage because it's a Wii U exclusive it really makes you bitter towards the system.

Look how terrible Lego City Undercover looks running on Wii U compared to non-exclusive title Lego Lord of the Rings running on PC:

Lego Lord of the Rings (PC): Crisp & Clear:
http://i.minus.com/iA0XYec887Eht.png
http://i.minus.com/izhl3V8KUFzIV.png
http://i.minus.com/ibWWpLsb7bGaG.png
http://i.minus.com/iJuJ9tbclwBkF.png
http://i.minus.com/iCkyoJR9r9Atz.png
http://i.minus.com/iSfvZDFHytOg5.png

Lego City Undercover (Wii U exclusive): Jaggies galore!:
http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/2012/346/632938_20121212_screen003.jpg
http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/2012/346/632938_20121212_screen005.jpg

The less Wii U exclusives the better!

Xizer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We're talking about hacking systems here. We are not "casual" gamers. No one here is playing Farmville or Angry Birds exclusively. People who own dedicated gaming machines hooked up to their TVs are not "casuals."

And that's the problem. These graphics are so bad they would only look good if you were running them on a portable size screen with your face right next to it.

Because I'm actually gaming on a large modern display with a 1080p resolution, anything besides PC games look like asssss. Lack of anti-aliasing is noticeable. Jaggies are noticeable. Low resolutions are noticeable. And it's all very distracting. With PC gaming you don't have to be distracted by bad graphics. You can focus on the gameplay because the graphics are clean and clear. Your eyes aren't constantly drawn to flaws and artifacts.

PS4 and Durango are set to fix this power problem. The next Xbox and PlayStation will finally have enough power to display native 1080p60 games. (just in time for 4K to roll out and make 1080p displays antiquated! heh)

That's Nintendo's problem with everything after the GameCube. Always a generation behind everybody else. Always making you wish you were able to play these games on proper hardware. Good gameplay experiences damaged by distracting poor quality graphics.

The Wii was utterly unplayable unless you used Dolphin to emulate Wii games in HD. Wii U is following the same path.

uyjulian

Homebrewer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
We're talking about hacking systems here. We are not "casual" gamers. No one here is playing Farmville or Angry Birds exclusively. People who own dedicated gaming machines hooked up to their TVs are not "casuals."

And that's the problem. These graphics are so bad they would only look good if you were running them on a portable size screen with your face right next to it.

Because I'm actually gaming on a large modern display with a 1080p resolution, anything besides PC games look like asssss. Lack of anti-aliasing is noticeable. Jaggies are noticeable. Low resolutions are noticeable. And it's all very distracting. With PC gaming you don't have to be distracted by bad graphics. You can focus on the gameplay because the graphics are clean and clear. Your eyes aren't constantly drawn to flaws and artifacts.

PS4 and Durango are set to fix this power problem. The next Xbox and PlayStation will finally have enough power to display native 1080p60 games. (just in time for 4K to roll out and make 1080p displays antiquated! heh)

That's Nintendo's problem with everything after the GameCube. Always a generation behind everybody else. Always making you wish you were able to play these games on proper hardware. Good gameplay experiences damaged by distracting poor quality graphics.

The Wii was utterly unplayable unless you used Dolphin to emulate Wii games in HD. Wii U is following the same path.
What? You expect the Wii U to look ugly on 4k? Wii was made for 480i, Wii U was made for 1080p, please let's not start another argument please.

Shadowlurker

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This guy sounds like an immature PC Elitist... All he seems to care about is Power and Graphics, go play on your PC then and stop moaning about a lack of power in a system.
Graphics aren't everything, graphics are slowly reaching a point where they cannot look any better unless you have thousands to spend on each little thing.

I'm willing to bet he won't touch any of the games from the true era of gaming the NES, SNES etc era just because they aren't in 1080p with explosions in his face at all times..

And now on topic.. This isn't a good thing, all this will result in is bad news. Homebrew I can stretch to but with the shakey start of the console already this won't help Third Parties choosing wether or not they want to make a game for the platform and with companies already selling the console 100+ cheaper than before Nintendo will probably have to appease early adopters like myself from moaning because we bought it early and people are getting it cheap.. and this hack combined with the reduced price will up the amount of people who will eventually pirate from Nintendo and the third parties it does have..

Reactions: Bladexdsl

Xizer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NES the "true era of gaming" ? ROFL. You tell yourself that.

Just like the horse-and-buggy was the "true era of transportation" I suppose.

Anything from the SNES onwards is fine. When emulated natively in 1080p with some graphical filters to clean it up over HDMI. Games like Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, and Perfect Dark on the Xbox 360 still hold up well today. You know why? Because Microsoft set them to run at my display's native resolution and fixed the framerate problems from being developed on underpowered hardware. It's really not a lot that I'm expecting. I'd just like my games to meet a minimum degree of graphical competence on day one instead of having to wait ten years for them to be emulated and cleaned up because the original hardware they were developed for was so bad.

Playing on the original SNES over composite? Now that sucks ass. I have a SNES and a variety of the top tier games and it collects dust in my closet in favor of my PC with SNES-to-USB controller. I should probably sell the thing on eBay.

natkoden

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

I guess Wii Fit is for hardcore gamers, right? I mean, you hook it up to your Wii, and your Wii is hooked up to your TV. Double hardcore!

And you talk about 4k like it will replace 1080p displays the day it comes out. Did you know that in order to notice any difference between 4k and 1080p you need a TV bigger than 70 inches (assuming you're sitting at distance of 6-10 ft.)?

You're the problem, clearly. You speak from ignorance.

uyjulian

Homebrewer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States

Anything from the SNES onwards is fine. When emulated natively in 1080p with some graphical filters to clean it up over HDMI. Games like Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, and Perfect Dark on the Xbox 360 still hold up well today. You know why? Because Microsoft set them to run at my display's native resolution and fixed the framerate problems from being developed on underpowered hardware. It's really not a lot that I'm expecting. I'd just like my games to meet a minimum degree of graphical competence on day one instead of having to wait ten years for them to be emulated and cleaned up because the original hardware they were developed for was so bad.

Playing on the original SNES over composite? Now that sucks ass. I have a SNES and a variety of the top tier games and it collects dust in my closet in favor of my PC with SNES-to-USB controller. I should probably sell the thing on eBay.
Will most NORMAL PEOPLE care about graphics? Nope.

Only most hardcore gamers do.

You ever hear anybody in the SNES era complaining about graphics? Pfft.

Always complaining about graphics and power.

Skeet1983

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

What are your REAL PC Specs?

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
3rd part devs fight it out no matter what. The good
I think everybody in this discussion needs to read this.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/graphics-common-myths.346345/
Graphics are pretty important.

I agree, but some people read that as "graphics are the most important thing ever"

Games are split into 2 things really.

The first is the graphics, sound and controls, the interface for the human.
The third part is everything else.

Back in the SNES days we all talked about Mode 7, yeah graphics were important. Ghosts n' goblins on SNES vs MegaDrive was a common topic but there were many talking points about graphics and layers.

It comes down to personal preference, I myself don't need super Hi-Def but some do. I rate a game or console on the fun it brings and graphics while not the highest on my priorities do come into the equation.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
High end PC will piss on all systems and each month, or week, PC stuff is improved/doubled. Joking about weekly. I need "Good enough" and Nintendo runs itself. By PC standards, Sony and MS are jokes already. People need to stop building their ego. I have a Wii U, and will likely go PS4 if anything like sports/shooters just cannot please me on Wii U.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Hahahaha

I hope it does lead to less games on the Wii U, or at least less exclusives. The less third party games on this underpowered piece of crap system and the more released on superior platforms like PC the better.

I only have a Wii U for Nintendo games, and quite frankly, I'm tired of having to buy an underpowered, gimmicky box only for Nintendo games every five years. We would all be better off Nintendo was forced out of the hardware business and goes third party like Sega. Sega releases most of their games on PC now instead of some underpowered proprietary console. Has anyone else here had the opportunity to play some of SEGA's games like SEGA All-Stars Racing Transformed on PC? It's amazing how much cleaner and smoother it is than on the consoles. It would be nice if Nintendo had to do the same thing and we could get Nintendo games running on proper hardware for once.

Just last month we were all forced to suffer from the Wii U's crappy hardware with the exclusive third party release of Lego City Undercover. 720p. 30 frames per second. No anti-aliasing whatsoever. Horrible draw distances. An annoying depth of field effect that can't be disabled. We all have to put up with this garbage because it's exclusive to this underpowered system. After coming from playing all the prior Lego games in 1080p, 60 FPS, full anti-aliasing, etc. on PC and having to put up with this watered down garbage because it's a Wii U exclusive it really makes you bitter towards the system.

Look how terrible Lego City Undercover looks running on Wii U compared to non-exclusive title Lego Lord of the Rings running on PC:

http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/2012/346/632938_20121212_screen003.jpg
http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/2012/346/632938_20121212_screen005.jpg

PC is always better than any console, but judging based on one game (especially a Lego game) is very unfair. The Wii U is currently the most powerful console on the market. It's the firs to support native 1080p, the GPGPU blows the PS360's out of the water, and the CPU is pretty good too.

Btw, I don't think you realize just how much you sound like a tool.
Few people buy Nintendo for "3rd party". In fact, no one buys a Nintendo console for third party. Everyone wants the new Mario, Zelda, Metroid and Smash games. The rest is just complementary. I don't see any gamer buying a Wii U to play Batman AC or CoD.

The Wii had the best catalog (IMHO) this gen, and it was pirated a year from it's release.
That's why I bought it, and I've been very pleased so far (Batman AC was my first game). It's the first console to use native 1080p.

Piracy wasn't an option for 2 years after the Wii's release.

Like I said, it's the first console to support native 1080p. It's not low resolution. It's probably the game you played.

And really, are graphics so important that you can't play a game unless it's full of eye candy? My bet is you are 15 or under.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hahahaha

Wow, you really are a retard troll. Judging a console solely based off the art style of one game compared to many others? And here I was thinking you were some close-minded graphics-obsessed drone. That is neither a fair argument, nor is it infallible, and to make the very bold statement that less Wii U exclusives is better is not only foolish, but makes you look like a troll. JoostinOnline is right, you sound like one helluva tool. Come back when you can back up your arguments without being one.

The Wii U is the first console to support full native HD at 1920 x 1080, to compare a console to a PC is an invalid argument. That's like comparing a Lamborghini to a Chevy Impala. I think everyone here with at least an IQ of 40 can tell you which one is better, but you're clearly not one of those people with said IQ. Oh, no, you're clearly some 15 year old in high school who thinks he/she is invincible and that the world is their stage. Guess what? Welcome to reality! You know, where people can actually back up their arguments and not toss random facts and unfair comparisons without incontrovertible evidence.

If you're honestly that hellbent on playing games with hyper-realistic graphics and are so sick of sub 3640 x 2160 graphics, stick to your PC and don't get a damn console, you're clearly too incompetent to have one. You graphics whores are what ruined the video game industry and have created a cesspool of mindless drones who value flashy graphics over originality.

Good day.

Reactions: JoostinOnline

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PC is always better than any console, but judging based on one game (especially a Lego game) is very unfair. The Wii U is currently the most powerful console on the market. It's the firs to support native 1080p, the GPGPU blows the PS360's out of the water, and the CPU is pretty good too.

Btw, I don't think you realize just how much you sound like a tool.
That's why I bought it, and I've been very pleased so far (Batman AC was my first game). It's the first console to use native 1080p.

Piracy wasn't an option for 2 years after the Wii's release.

Like I said, it's the first console to support native 1080p. It's not low resolution. It's probably the game you played.

And really, are graphics so important that you can't play a game unless it's full of eye candy? My bet is you are 15 or under.
Guy wants games Nintendo alone has, bought one. Wants Nintendo to fail so those titles may go to PC and other systems. Still bought Wii U for those exclusives;-)

Sony/MS fanboy, should buy $1,000 GPU of the week, or sli a few...or x fire a few. Want that, spend money or spend mommy's money to do it. All his call, lol. Still bought a system he spits on for fun games not on any other system...but while looking good...not to his standards. I have not played Lego games...but Lego stuff are blocks with edges, lmfao. On a higher end GPU with settings adjusted one gets a lot more visually. Crisis, Doom 3, virtually all games.... HD, 1080p, not nearly potential explored yet? Lol. Okay, guess I follow his logic.

Lol, this guy thinks tetris blocks need to be 60 fps, HD, 4k res, rounded blocks (ponder this, lol).

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol, this guy thinks tetris blocks need to be 60 fps, HD, 4k res, rounded blocks (ponder this, lol).

Wait, it isn't? BLASPHEMY! Alexey Pajitnov should be hanged for not making the game in 2160p graphics!

I have a Wii U and a *gasp* custom built desktop! Xizer will burn me at the stake for sure!:lol:

Reactions: Bladexdsl

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Sony/MS fanboy,
We're not 12 here. Act like you have a little class on this forum or leave.

should buy $1,000 GPU of the week, or sli a few...or x fire a few. Want that, spend money or spend mommy's money to do it. All his call, lol.
I bought a $109 GPU (HD 5770) a few years ago and am still using it, it's working just fine. The idea that you need to spend a ton of money or use multiple cards to get better-than-console quality was disproven years ago.

I have not played Lego games...but Lego stuff are blocks with edges, lmfao.
What he's talking about is anti-aliasing, which is different than the polygonal shape of the models used.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supersample_anti-aliasing (Just one example of the technology.)

HD, 1080p, not nearly potential explored yet? Lol. Okay, guess I follow his logic.
He means on consoles. Many games will run at lower resolutions in order to include better effects or simply run well on the relatively-limited hardware.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
He means on consoles. Many games will run at lower resolutions in order to include better effects or simply run well on the relatively-limited hardware.
So far even most ports are running at native 1080p, and smoothly. If the new Lego game looks crappy, that's an issue with the game. However, I can see why they wouldn't put as much effort into it. It's targeted to children. I'm not saying you need to be a child to enjoy the game, but that's the main audience.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We're not 12 here. Act like you have a little class on this forum or leave.

I bought a $109 GPU (HD 5770) a few years ago and am still using it, it's working just fine. The idea that you need to spend a ton of money or use multiple cards to get better-than-console quality was disproven years ago.

What he's talking about is anti-aliasing, which is different than the polygonal shape of the models used.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supersample_anti-aliasing (Just one example of the technology.)

Regardless, Xizer had no evidence to back up his claims and made unfair comparisons. Anyone with half a brain knows that PCs will always have better looking games than consoles, but he clearly had no brain to speak of. I don't know what to call his tirade, or proof, but whatever it was, he had nothing to go on. Sad, really. The Wii U is the most powerful game console thus far, as no one knows the full potential; it can get close to PC games in many respects, but ultimately, PC will be superior hardware wise. People need to get consoles for the games, not the hyper-realistic-graphics-that-make-your-eyes-pop-out.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
So far even most ports are running at native 1080p, and smoothly. If the new Lego game looks crappy, that's an issue with the game. However, I can see why they wouldn't put as much effort into it. It's targeted to children. I'm not saying you need to be a child to enjoy the game, but that's the main audience.
It runs the same the other direction too, where certain things will be disabled in order to run at a higher resolution... anti-aliasing being notoriously linked to the resolution.

Though that is an odd tradeoff for them to choose.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hey Kennyboy, have you found any decent mini Pc for around $200-250? Fast enough to play most Pc games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd say save another $100 anythtwith 8core upgradeable ram I'm thinking about ordering the acemagic still
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, I haven't turn on my OG Xbox one in ages, just did now and ofcourse, 32GB update required, gonna take forever.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Edit: nevermind, I forgot I up-ed my internet speed, only 30 min remaining.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Will a mobo with a M2ssd slot work without a M2ssd installed, using a sata ssd temporary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    As long as sata just point bios to boot to it as main drive
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Is that a compilation of you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    M.2 is more of a luxury you can still boot from Ide if you really wanted to
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I mean as long as the motherboard still has sata ports unless you're still in celeron days
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    wut
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh it has Sata 3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It should still have a Bootable option in bios select drive
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    whats sata?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How you were born
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sata is the type of interface/cable connection of hard drives/disc drives for Pc.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't tell them about old bank drives may explode
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Mini pcs in the 70's
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    128kbs of storage
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do I connect this to my emachine
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The Tattooist of Auschwitz is pretty good so far