• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Twitter: BBC objects to 'government funded media' label

tabzer

This place is a meme.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
If it wasn't before he bought it, it certainly is now.

Bullshit. You were caught wrong. Now you are just sidelining the point. Twitter is tied to being government propaganda and it can't be fixed without becoming open-source.

Only difference is that Musk puts several governments in a bidding war for his love, megalomaniac that he is.

He plays politics better than other governments. Maybe he thinks capitalism isn't a thing that is governed?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Twitter is tied to being government propaganda and it can't be fixed without becoming open-source.
I have no issue with Twitter becoming open-source, but again, billionaires are little more than propagandists who offer their services to the highest bidder. Musk is obviously not a reliable arbiter of what should and shouldn't be considered state-affiliated media, as he himself is morally and ethically compromised.

He plays politics better than other governments.
Dunning-Krueger isn't "playing politics." With enough money there will always be a vast number of sycophants willing to tell you you're right about anything.

Maybe he thinks capitalism isn't a thing that is governed?
In other words he thinks he should be above the law. Why does that not surprise me coming from someone who gained his fortune from apartheid and palled around with Ghislane Maxwell.

Reactions: KingVamp

lolcatzuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i am fine with the fact that they are expressing themselves and their

first amendment right to do so, regardless that its true.

If it wasn't before he bought it, it certainly is now. Only difference is that Musk puts several governments in a bidding war for his love, megalomaniac that he is.

well 2 things, first , you dont live in the US, so why do you care? and secondly, dont get mad at your god, merely because he is a neutral god

tabzer

This place is a meme.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I have no issue with Twitter becoming open-source, but again, billionaires are little more than propagandists who offer their services to the highest bidder. Musk is obviously not a reliable arbiter of what should and shouldn't be considered state-affiliated media, as he himself is morally and ethically compromised.

Dunning-Krueger isn't "playing politics." With enough money there will always be a vast number of sycophants willing to tell you you're right about anything.

In other words he thinks he should be above the law. Why does that not surprise me coming from someone who gained his fortune from apartheid and palled around with Ghislane Maxwell.

The only thing I got from that post is that you fear (respect) billionaires more than government, which I agree to.

• Haha
Reactions: Xzi

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
I love the false reporting in this thread. oh the irony. The BBC is government.... okay.

The BBC operates through a Royal Charter agreed with the UK government, which states the corporation "must be independent". BBC money doesn't come through the tax payer.

https://www.bbc.com/aboutthebbc/governance/licencefee
http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust..._framework/charter_agreement/archive/1927.pdf

The BBC is left wing... okay.

BBC Chairman has Donated over £400,000 to the Conservatives. the man who runs the BBC.

https://bylinetimes.com/2021/01/06/...nated-more-than-400000-to-conservative-party/

Reactions: Xzi and AmandaRose

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
I love the false reporting in this thread. oh the irony. The BBC is government.... okay.

The BBC operates through a Royal Charter agreed with the UK government, which states the corporation "must be independent". BBC money doesn't come through the tax payer.

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust..._framework/charter_agreement/archive/1927.pdf

BBC Chairman has Donated over £400,000 to the Conservatives. the man who runs the BBC.

https://bylinetimes.com/2021/01/06/...nated-more-than-400000-to-conservative-party/
If you live in the UK, it's illegal to watch live TV without a TV licence with is bascically a forced TAX on eveyone. The courts make sure you pay it if you watch TV and if not you get fined or put in prison if you don't pay the fine......so basically it's a forced funded organisation backed up by the government.

You can't be forced to subscibe to any other media outlet - so in essence you are forced to fund the BBC if you want to watch live TV legally. or you will face the court system if caught.

Yes, the BBC is nothing more than a bias left wing media mouthpiece - it has been for quite a few years now, you can try to dispute this, but if you ever watched it you would know they are and they are always pushing a biased agenda.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

I don't know which part is "false", but if it is like NHK in Japan, they have gotten politicians to pass laws forcing people to pay for it if they own a TV. Technically, that part is not tax funded, but it is taxpayer funded. Of course there are subsidies and grants that I am not addressing. But the ransom is worse than "government funded", as I pointed out. IMO if the government forces people to pay for your stuff, it's government funded. I'm aware that the colloquialism is stil catching up.

BBC does promote left wing political interest propaganda, but like @Xzi succinctly demonstrated, capitalism rules politics.

If I can pay a fee to make my rag pure and sellable, then of course that would be the responsible thing to do.

Last edited by tabzer,

krakenx

Trophies
XP
Country
Corporate media is funded by their advertisers. They are inherently biased. Corporate media is also incentivized to make sensationalist news to increase viewership to increase ad revenue.

The idea behind public broadcasting is to provide a truthful alternative since the profit motive and advertising bias isn't there. If public media is being dishonest or is acting as a mouthpiece for one specific party, that's a problem that needs to be addressed, not by shutting it down completely, but with reforms.

In regards to the truth, the truth is objective and is based on facts and data. Just because it doesn't match your belief system or the propaganda from your favorite corporate news source doesn't make it biased.

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Besides his preferential treatment of the Kremlin, we also know for a fact that Elon Musk receives far more government funds, both personally and through his businesses, than NPR for example. Yet somehow I doubt he's gonna slap a "state-sponsored media" label on all of Twitter. Perhaps his issue isn't that journalism is in part funded by the government, but that it doesn't play all sides to the middle for profit like he does.
Elon Musk is a government contractor for SpaceX and Boring, not Twitter. You would have known that from doing just basic research, but it doesn't fit your narrative so you come here and look like an idiot.

Twitter used to be a government contractor when they allowed the FBI, DHS, DOJ, and certain congress members, like Adam Schiff, to request people be banned from the platform.

It's also telling that NPR rage quits Twitter for CCP state affiliated TikTok. You really can't make up this absurdity if you tried.

Reactions: zfreeman

tabzer

This place is a meme.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Elon Musk is a government contractor for SpaceX and Boring, not Twitter. You would have known that from doing just basic research, but it doesn't fit your narrative so you come here and look like an idiot.

Twitter used to be a government contractor when they allowed the FBI, DHS, DOJ, and certain congress members, like Adam Schiff, to request people be banned from the platform.

It's also telling that NPR rage quits Twitter for CCP state affiliated TikTok. You really can't make up this absurdity if you tried.

We don't have any evidence that Elon stopped that, do we?

NPR chose TikTok over Twitter? That's funny.

Anyway, @Xzi is aware that he's trying to ram the square peg into the round hole. He's learning, despite not providing direct evidence.

*merged*

@Veho I don't know the source of this interview clip, but it might "shed a light".

Last edited by tabzer,

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
If you live in the UK, it's illegal to watch live TV without a TV licence with is bascically a forced TAX on eveyone. The courts make sure you pay it if you watch TV and if not you get fined or put in prison if you don't pay the fine......so basically it's a forced funded organisation backed up by the government.

You can't be forced to subscibe to any other media outlet - so in essence you are forced to fund the BBC if you want to watch live TV legally. or you will face the court system if caught.

Yes, the BBC is nothing more than a bias left wing media mouthpiece - it has been for quite a few years now, you can try to dispute this, but if you ever watched it you would know they are and they are always pushing a biased agenda.

To me it seems they pushing a biased agenda which benefits the government in power, the tories.

I don't know which part is "false", but if it is like NHK in Japan, they have gotten politicians to pass laws forcing people to pay for it if they own a TV. Technically, that part is not tax funded, but it is taxpayer funded. Of course there are subsidies and grants that I am not addressing. But the ransom is worse than "government funded", as I pointed out. IMO if the government forces people to pay for your stuff, it's government funded. I'm aware that the colloquialism is stil catching up.

BBC does promote left wing political interest propaganda, but like @Xzi succinctly demonstrated, capitalism rules politics.

If I can pay a fee to make my rag pure and sellable, then of course that would be the responsible thing to do.

What are these left wing political interest propaganda?

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We don't have any evidence that Elon stopped that, do we?
We know about it because Elon released the information in the Twitter files.
NPR chose TikTok over Twitter? That's funny.
The irony is not lost.
Anyway, @Xzi is aware that he's trying to ram the square peg into the round hole. He's learning, despite providing direct evidence.

*merged*

@Veho I don't know the source of this interview clip, but it might "shed a light".

That video is the BBC. The reporter got completely rekt over and over again. Kept wanting to move on to something else.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Jesus Tabzy, I'm gone a few hours and I get a reply and two mentions, you really do care. I don't know how else to spell it out: pretending a billionaire has your best interests at heart is like pretending the stripper is actually into you. Twitter is social media, not a news source or news aggregate, and social media generates profit from disinformation more than anything else.

Elon Musk is a government contractor for SpaceX and Boring, not Twitter.
I'm sure he'll be grabbing a juicy tax break from all that value he lost with Twitter too. Point is that he suckles at the government tit multiple times a day, and not even just one of them. If he wants to be taken seriously as an arbiter of what is and isn't "state-affiliated," he needs to either label his own account as such or drop the label altogether and stop pretending he's capable of impartiality on this topic.

Last edited by Xzi,

tabzer

This place is a meme.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I don't know how else to spell it out: pretending a billionaire has your best interests at heart

Nobody thinks Elon has my best interest at heart. Same is to be said about you and Trump. What's your contention, exactly? You are going off on your own tangent, not really addressing points being made.

What are these left wing political interest propaganda?

You respond to the most boring point. I assume that you agree with the rest of what was said? Here's part of the answer:

https://www.politics.co.uk/reference/bbc-bias/

The rest of my answer is in a clue I left in the previous post: "capitalism rules politics". Should allude to playing for power and using both left/right bias.

It's besides the point of being government funded. In my last post, Elon gives an example of how the government can and does play a hand in curating BBC content. Whether you see coercing people to get vaccinated via government misinformation as a part of leftist or rightist ideology is a bit immaterial.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Nobody thinks Elon has my best interest at heart. Same is to be said about you and Trump. What's your contention, exactly? You are going off on your own tangent, not really addressing points being made.

You respond to the most boring point. I assume that you agree with the rest of what was said? Here's part of the answer:

https://www.politics.co.uk/reference/bbc-bias/

The rest of my answer is in a clue I left in the previous post: "capitalism rules politics". Should allude to playing for power and using both left/right bias.

It's besides the point of being government funded. In my last post, Elon gives an example of how the government can and does play a hand in curating BBC content. Whether you see coercing people to get vaccinated via government misinformation as a part of leftist or rightist ideology is a bit immaterial.

i thought politics.co.uk was a right wing website?

• Sad
Reactions: tabzer

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Nobody thinks Elon has my best interest at heart.
Then you should probably think a bit more critically about it when he tries to bury certain news outlets and promote others. Blanket policies are one thing, but nothing about Twitter has been running smoothly since the Musk takeover, so I can guarantee that the "state-affiliated" label will not be applied evenly or correctly in all cases. It exists solely to push his own personal agenda, which is no better than than any other oligarch's.

Last edited by Xzi,

tabzer

This place is a meme.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Then you should probably think a bit more critically about it when he tries to bury certain news outlets and promote others. Blanket policies are one thing, but nothing about Twitter has been running smoothly since the Musk takeover, so I can guarantee that the "state-affiliated" label will not be applied evenly or correctly in all cases. It exists solely to push his own personal agenda, which is no better than than any other oligarch's.

Are you trying to convince me that Elon Musk has bias? No way.

Twitter has always been a shitshow, and it over time and decay, it can only become more of one. I doubt that it will become a better product, no matter the owner. I think it's possible Musk bought it to euthanize it as humanely as he can imagine.

I don't see how criticizing Musk makes his claims invalid or is defending of the BBC.

There is one element of your railroading I found interesting--what news outlets does Musk promote?

Last edited by tabzer,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't see how criticizing Musk makes his claims invalid or is defending the BBC.
The implication throughout all my posts that it's an honor to be on Musk's shit list is fairly overt. What makes his claims invalid is the fact that outlets like BBC and NPR are critical of their own governments all the time, regardless of majority parties; they aren't beholden to them. They're publicly-funded public services, yes, and some of the most nonbiased news you can find anywhere. As one of those "dumb down everyone and privatize everything" dildos, he wants to drown out their voices for that reason if none other.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The implication throughout all my posts that it's an honor to be on Musk's shit list is fairly overt. What makes his claims invalid is the fact that outlets like BBC and NPR are critical of their own governments all the time, regardless of majority parties; they aren't beholden to them. They're publicly-funded public services, yes, and some of the most nonbiased news you can find anywhere. As one of those "dumb down everyone and privatize everything" dildos, he wants to drown out their voices for that reason if none other.

BBC and NPR play softball with the government and you think that they are fighting for you. They "negotiate" with their governments to force you to pay them; "better than Elon". Fuck off, lol. Can you stand on two feet without leaning on someone/thing?

Tell me, what news outlets does Musk promote? That's the only thing you had to say that was interesting. Are you lying @Xzi?

Last edited by tabzer,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
BBC and NPR play softball with the government and you think that they are fighting for you.
"Fighting for me" is not something I came within the same ballpark of implying. They serve a purpose, and while I wouldn't recommend anyone get ALL their news from any one outlet, people could do a lot worse.

They "negotiate" with their governments to force you to pay them
Oh no, not one one-thousandth of my taxes! Maybe I'll care after we've eliminated the frivolous spending the lion's share goes to: military bloat and corporate welfare.

"better than Elon".
Not a high bar, granted, but that's the world we live in today. Oligarchs can't be permitted to decide what news we do and don't see.

Tell me, what news outlets does Musk promote?
Well, "news" is a stretch, but he's interviewed with and shouted out a number of right-wing talking heads. Joe Rogan of course, and then people like Peterson, Kirk, Walsh, Shapiro, etc. He also regularly likes and replies to alt-reich shit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.