ROM Hack [Tutorial] Edit the HomeMenu

GoodCookie88

rekt em skrubs
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Take hud_lz.bin decompress it with lz11.
Extract contents from the darc Archive.
Take the bclim file and convert to png (or use a tool that can view them) edit your battery icon convert it to bclim. Replace it and archive it to darc again. Then compress to lz11 again. Rebuild the CIA and profit.

There is probably a tool to do bclim replacements.
Hm sounds fair.... Thanks man!

Arck

Trophies
XP
Country
seem interesting...
I will try some thing with IDA

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

But just, I am new in the 3ds scene, I want to know if he have plugin for the 3ds with IDA ?
(import/export Symbol table)

Reactions: Zan'

TheDeKay

I call it research
Trophies
XP
Country
As already stated. Icon replacing is really easy.
But please guys do not mess around with the code.bin file in Cheat Engine and replace random things. It will almost never work. Get yourself a debugger (preferably IDA Pro) and start to get a feel for the file first. Start trying to find the section you want to work on. Do a partial RE-job for this. Patch the calls/functions to do what you want. And save the code.bin

Don't try this unless you have knowledge of basic programming and basic ASM.
Get familiar with your debugger before trying. And only then get started on projects.
If you find something useful feel free to share it on the http://www.homemenu.co spreadsheet in the code.bin section.
I am partially working on RE-ing the Home Menu code and may possibly share some findings.

Last edited by TheDeKay,

Zan'

2F88744FEED717856386400A44BBA4B9CA62E76A32C715D4F
Trophies
XP
Country
Now I'm wondering: If I had not written the tuto, would we have all the custom stuff and search about it xD?
You are getting a little cocky here.
You weren't the first one doing Home Menu editing. And none of the actually documented info on colors is by you. All you did was show the possibility of Home menu editing to more people, to make them think about it more.
But I know people have done Home Menu editing before. @ihaveamac has said he was doing it a while ago. @TheDeKay stated he did it a while ago, but didn't really bother much with it.

This is just like YouTube Videos. There is nothing special and they go viral, but noone knows why. And It was done before but wasn't pushed at all so it didn't go viral at that point.

Last edited by Zan',
Reactions: Deleted User

Asia81

Yuri Lover ~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Uh... oO
I never been cocky oO Or wanted to be.

Edit: No need to be that rude, you know...

Edit2: Youtube videos? What are you talking about oO?

Last edited by Asia81,
Reactions: Ewin

Zan'

Trophies
XP
Country
Uh... oO
I never been cocky oO Or wanted to be.

Edit: No need to be that rude, you know...

Edit2: Youtube videos? What are you talking about oO?

The YouTube Video thing was a comparison. YOu never know what's going to be popular. And one guy will always be "the lucky one" to be known for "a trend".
It's not meant to be rude, but it sounds like you claim HomeMenu editing was only "possible" because you made this tutorial, which is was clearly not.
It may just be more known because of the tutorial, but it could have shown up a lot earlier if the guys who did it a while ago (and I am fairly certain there have been lots) would have shown it off more, instead of "keeping it secret" (which they probably just did because they thought there wasn't anything special about it).
And if you wouldn't have posted it someone else would possibly have.
So from a time perspective. Yeah this tutorial may have helped to show it to more people. But the people involved are a huge point. There could jsut have been some "here is what i got"-screens and then it would have been over.
(And this whole homemenu editing is getting less popular already)

Reactions: Ewin

Ewin

Pika pika!
Trophies
XP
Country
France
1462394564-untitled.png

Corrupt...:wink:Bottom screen have a problem I think. The colors for the friend list is stored in the file Friend.LZ.bin.

sliderbar_LZ is the arrow at the bottom screen.

Last edited by Ewin,
Reactions: Deleted User

Asdolo

the Hedgehog
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Argentina
What is that "Poner insignias" button? did you add that?
You should join the Discord and maybe help people out. Or help with documentation.

It's the "Decorate with badges" button. It automatically appears when you install the Nintendo Badge Arcade from eShop.

I will join Discord tomorrow!

Last edited by Asdolo,

tomx86

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Guys, how to edit "ExtractedRomFS\msg\EU_English.LZ" from Nintendo 3DS Camera, because even after decompression "MSBT.Editor.Reloaded.v0.8.6" can't read it?

Zan'

Trophies
XP
Country
It's the "Add badges" button. It automatically appears when you install the Nintendo Badge Arcade from eShop.

I will join Discord tomorrow!
Oh I didn't know.
Awesome :D

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Guys, how to edit "ExtractedRomFS\msg\EU_English.LZ" from Nintendo 3DS Camera, because even after decompression "MSBT.Editor.Reloaded.v0.8.6" can't read it?
Are you sure it's decompressed? (I assume you use @TheDeKay 's tool, based on the LZ ending.)
I don't have these problems. it opens perfectly fine for me. Try opening it in a Hex Editor and check if you have readable strings or not.

Zan'

Trophies
XP
Country
When you mess too much with the code.bin

You don't have to mess with it "too much" to get that result. Simply not knowing wjat you are doing and changing random stuff will give you the same result.
Did you find anything actual useful before "messing too much with the code"

Mega-Mew

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Simply not knowing wjat you are doing and changing random stuff will give you the same result.
lol no I know what I am doing, trial and error.
I have did some thing with code.bin in some game.
Did you find anything actual useful before "messing too much with the code"
no that the first thing I have done in 1 try.

I am not a little kid who know nothing.

Last edited by Mega-Mew,

Zan'

Trophies
XP
Country
lol no I know what I am doing, trial and error.
I have did some thing with code.bin in some game.

no that the first thing I have done in 1 try.

I am not a little kid who know nothing.
You did search for 100 in Cheat Engine and replaced it to try to get the friend limit higher. What exactly should I expect?
I am not a reverse engineer, but I can tell that's not how it's done.

Depends on your way of "trial and error"
Having a debugger trying to understand the code and patch calls. Well that's trial and you will see if it works. So trial and error.
But randomly replacing things is not trial and error. That is more like praying to find the needle in the haystack.

And if that is the first thing.
How exactly is it "messing to much with the code"

Last edited by Zan',

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @HiradeGirl, Hey :)