Hacking WIP [Trinket] [Rebug] [Others] SWITCHBOOT_UF2 / FUSEE_UF2 modchip software

feral

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Having two issues which I hope are easy to fix. I have a Trinket M0 installed with all but the USB disconnect strap (I'll explain that in a moment) using SWITCHBOOT and Simple UF2 0.9.9r1 beta. Here are the issues:

1. When I power off via any method (power off menu, holding power button) in any firmware (OFW 7.0.1, SX OS Emunand 6.2.0) the Switch will automatically power back on after about 7-10 seconds. When this happens the Trinket flashes green a few times before it powers back on. From there I can power off in Hekate and it stays off.

2. When I have the USB disconnect strap connected I am unable to flash the Trinket, and when the Trinket is in flash mode I get a message about not being able to charge.

Anybody run into either of these issues, or have a fix?

Thanks

If it helps, my wiring is close to the recommended, though I chose alternate points for the 3V (pad on front of board) and Vol+ straps.

Last edited by feral,

hoezsux

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yes the screenshot button on the joycon

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

There will be if I can get a dump of the bootloader or have someone assist me testing.
I cannot get one, don`t know anyone who has one

How do i dump the bootloader? I'll try to help you.

josete2k

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I've downgraded my 7.0.1 to 6.1.0 and hekate refuses to boot OFW.

All messages are ok but I have black screen...

I have no SD inserted, but I assume that hekate payload can boot OFW with efuses mismatch, isn't it?

SXOS can boot it.

@josete2k
Found the post but there is a problem cause now I have issues with step 4 of this tutorial- I mean reaching samd21 drive on pc via double click on reset switch...
I have soldered magnet switch that was included in the kit and maybe this is playing with me...
Again - in the beginning there was no problems - managed to push two UF2 files successfully...
Except this everything works ok....

Think I will have 2 check usb data and gnd soldering, but honestly they are the easiest to solder - straps and vcc are the hardest part...

And the most "interesting" thing is - when I activate my magnet reset switch 2 times in about 1sec I have volume increase that is indicated by volume slider in top left corner of the screen (like 2 physical clicks on vol +) and animation of detaching and attaching right joy-con... is it normal on this board? or I have some shorts in my mod??

Thanks for help

You can activate reset by join the reset pad to GNG with a piece of wire.

I have only joycon strap so I can't help you about VOL strap. But if reset activate the slider There's maybe some wrong .

mattytrog

You don`t want to listen to anything I say.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
modchipinfo.jpg

Modchip info screen coming... Right lets tackle these posts. Really sorry for lack of support! Had a few problems involving travelling to the other end of the UK. Will edit this as I answer if I can.

I have a quick question.. I have it installed but due to cooling mods, the trinket button is not accessible with a back press, which is fine as I was going to install a Reed switch for this purpose, but my question is, can I keep the integrated button and just use the RST pad (and ground of course) ?

I'm unfortunately only getting it in a little bit so just doing my homework first.

Thanks!

Yes of course. Short RST to any GND. Be creative! Use a case screw (that goes into plastic maybe?)

Hi I installed rcm - x86 internal with new method.
I have all straps soldered somehow ;)
Everything is ok on 7.0.1 with newest atmosphere.... but how to connect console with PC (to instal via usb in newest tinfoil)?
I've got unrecognized device all the time...
Do I need to play with reset switch somehow?
Thanks for reply :)

I think you have a poor connection somewhere sir. Others have reported similar. improved connections solved it I think.

However, I think the USB serial logic chip on the RCMX86 "may" be causing issues. It certainly slows injection down.

Having two issues which I hope are easy to fix. I have a Trinket M0 installed with all but the USB disconnect strap (I'll explain that in a moment) using SWITCHBOOT and Simple UF2 0.9.9r1 beta. Here are the issues:

1. When I power off via any method (power off menu, holding power button) in any firmware (OFW 7.0.1, SX OS Emunand 6.2.0) the Switch will automatically power back on after about 7-10 seconds. When this happens the Trinket flashes green a few times before it powers back on. From there I can power off in Hekate and it stays off.

2. When I have the USB disconnect strap connected I am unable to flash the Trinket, and when the Trinket is in flash mode I get a message about not being able to charge.

Anybody run into either of these issues, or have a fix?

Thanks

If it helps, my wiring is close to the recommended, though I chose alternate points for the 3V (pad on front of board) and Vol+ straps.
Hmmm... Number 1... Set autohosoff in hekate menu.
Number 2...That shouldn`t happen. You haven`t damaged a resistor near the testpoint have you?

@josete2k
Found the post but there is a problem cause now I have issues with step 4 of this tutorial- I mean reaching samd21 drive on pc via double click on reset switch...
I have soldered magnet switch that was included in the kit and maybe this is playing with me...
Again - in the beginning there was no problems - managed to push two UF2 files successfully...
Except this everything works ok....

Think I will have 2 check usb data and gnd soldering, but honestly they are the easiest to solder - straps and vcc are the hardest part...

And the most "interesting" thing is - when I activate my magnet reset switch 2 times in about 1sec I have volume increase that is indicated by volume slider in top left corner of the screen (like 2 physical clicks on vol +) and animation of detaching and attaching right joy-con... is it normal on this board? or I have some shorts in my mod??

Thanks for help

The vol increase is correct. It has to be sadly. No way around this.

All I can think of is that your timing between double-presses is wrong. Mkae sure you are disconnected from USB and the red light is "breathing".

mattytrog

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
OK

Very tired this evening so if I have forgotten anything, apologies.

Attached is a UF2

Trinket / Rebug / RCMX86 only just for tonight. New methods of fitting. If using a legacy method, this won`t work as pins are different.

This has the following new features:

Adjustable dotstar brightness (via 3rd "flash" of holding vol+ down - will be green on Dotstar equipped boards). Dotstar will get bright and dim and bright again. Press vol+ to set your brightness

Hekate screenshot feature (hold power and touch vol+). Screen will flip over and back again. Savede in SD root /screenshots folder

Modchip info / credits option replaces "About".

Most of it working.

This is only a test. Will write up properly when I don`t feel so ill.

Attachments

• 0.9.9r2test.zip
    145.6 KB · Views: 0

zeruel85

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thanks a lot for your hard work!
Is it possible to implement something to update the modchip from Switch or enter Bootloader mode without opening the Switch to press the Reset Button or short rst to gnd?

Thanks!

feral

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmmm... Number 1... Set autohosoff in hekate menu.
Number 2...That shouldn`t happen. You haven`t damaged a resistor near the testpoint have you?

Thanks for the reply @mattytrog.

1. Setting autohosoff seemed to help. It still restarts into hekate but immediately shuts down. Why does that happen?
2. I triple checked my testpoint for the USB disconnect and it looks great. The pad already had solder and it was an easy attach in that regard. Maybe I wasn't doing something correctly, but I found a way to get into flash mode with the disconnect strap connected:
  • Boot the switch and do the delayed double-press to get into flash mode on the trinket.
  • Attach to the PC, it sounds like it's recognized but doesn't show up.
  • Press the Power button on the Switch to put into sleep mode, now the SWITCHBOOT drive shows up and I can work with it.

josete2k

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I allways put the chip flash mode:

Attach to the PC and console autoboots.
Put it into sleep mode.
Reset twice the chip.

SWITCHBOOT appears.

New stuff looks good matey but can you do a version without the vol- text at the beginning? Hope yer feelin better!

Yes please... :)

mattytrog

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
New stuff looks good matey but can you do a version without the vol- text at the beginning? Hope yer feelin better!

I allways put the chip flash mode:

Attach to the PC and console autoboots.
Put it into sleep mode.
Reset twice the chip.

SWITCHBOOT appears.

Yes please... :)

Here you are gents... Text disabled as requested.

To re-enable, in vol+ settings, third flash (should be green on dotstar), third option to toggle on or off. Off by default.

Thanks for the reply @mattytrog.

1. Setting autohosoff seemed to help. It still restarts into hekate but immediately shuts down. Why does that happen?

That sir, is a combination of the T210 / horizon / MAX77620 ensuring correct power-off state. The behaviour is normal.

Thanks for the reply @mattytrog
2. I triple checked my testpoint for the USB disconnect and it looks great. The pad already had solder and it was an easy attach in that regard. Maybe I wasn't doing something correctly, but I found a way to get into flash mode with the disconnect strap connected:
  • Boot the switch and do the delayed double-press to get into flash mode on the trinket.
  • Attach to the PC, it sounds like it's recognized but doesn't show up.
  • Press the Power button on the Switch to put into sleep mode, now the SWITCHBOOT drive shows up and I can work with it.

Fantastic. Glad you sussed it!

You can disable the strap if you wish in chip firmware... Simple...

With NOTHING plugged into USB, hold vol+ for around 12 seconds until you see the 4th rapid flash of LED. If you have one fitted that is. When I fit RCMX86, I put an LED in there. :)

Attachments

• test_boot_text_disabled.zip
    144 KB · Views: 0

FunThomas

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I have one question regarding
  • Save fuses (if using both straps)
  • Official Nintendo updates DO NOT BURN FUSES! RCM mode survives all firmware upgrades (if using both straps)
Are there any disadvantages if i use AutoRCM too with both straps -> there are still some possibilities to boot normal maybe when rebooting in hekate to normal (here the modchip is ignored and booted to stock) ... but i want to save my fuses nearly 100% sure

the kids are not 100% aware of anything ;-)

Last edited by FunThomas,

Dougiejones

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@mattytrog THX :) 0.9.9r2test and test_boot_text_disabled i will dive into these

EDIT : 0.9.9r2test.UF2 Tested : i never had a chance to reach the DotStar Brightness mode's out :unsure:
Maybe i'm colorblind. It works like a charm.

@mattytrog is the VOL+Hold Flowchart's colours circumveted ? Answer : No
On the other side by default it's on average DotStar brightness top cool thank you so much ! Moreover for the crystal clear cases owners otherwise the latters must wear sun glasses B-) lol.

Last edited by Dougiejones,

Dougiejones

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please could someone make a test for me ? THX in advance :)
I mean a very simple test. Not any soldering required lol
No matter on any config you are as long as you flashed simple_UF2.
It has to deal with the latest Hekate 4.8 and i don't want to spam the topic. That's why i'm looking a test feedback.
Someone ?

Last edited by Dougiejones,

mattytrog

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry people. Been busy. Been getting down a pile of popped switches. Hot tip! Never say things are "quiet" as that is NEVER the case...

Anyway...onwards.

I have one question regarding
  • Save fuses (if using both straps)
  • Official Nintendo updates DO NOT BURN FUSES! RCM mode survives all firmware upgrades (if using both straps)
Are there any disadvantages if i use AutoRCM too with both straps -> there are still some possibilities to boot normal maybe when rebooting in hekate to normal (here the modchip is ignored and booted to stock) ... but i want to save my fuses nearly 100% sure

the kids are not 100% aware of anything ;-)

Yes you can boot normal if using the "joycon and volume" file (which yours is using). Just hold down modchip reset and press power on.

If you want dual-boot, flash joycon only SWITCHBOOT. Then, you press vol+ to boot CFW or don`t press for normal boot.

@mattytrog THX :) 0.9.9r2test and test_boot_text_disabled i will dive into these

EDIT : 0.9.9r2test.UF2 Tested : i never had a chance to reach the DotStar Brightness mode's out :unsure:

@mattytrog is the VOL+Hold Flowchart's colours circumveted ?
On the other side by default it's on average DotStar brightness top cool thank you so much ! Moreover for the crystal clear cases owners otherwise the latters must wear sun glasses B-) lol.

Hi Dougie!
The dotstar brightness is after the 3rd flash (think it is green on dotstar boards). When you let go of vol during THIRD flash, options will "blink out". You want the FIRST blink. Press vol+ during first blink.

@mattytrog
What do U mean by "red light is "breathing" ", there is no led on rcm-x86??

I think some crap is going on on rcm-x86 board... maybe damaged?
board Pushes payload upon boot ok, but can't force it to open as usb drive and when board soldered on usb data lines only unrecognizable device in manager.(no option to install nsp via usb in goldleaf/goldtree)..
Should i bridge rst with gnd 2 times in 1 sec?

Ahhh. yes. RCMX86 doesn`t have an LED.

Not sure what is going off with USB. Some people had similar problems and they turned out to be bad connections.

Why ever they didn`t fit an LED is beyond me.

Anyway, to get the UF2 drive up, you need to be disconnected from USB. Double-press RESET leaving half-second gap between presses, then plug in. Note that you can only access this drive from the Switch Horizon OS.

FunThomas

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Yes you can boot normal if using the "joycon and volume" file (which yours is using). Just hold down modchip reset and press power on.

sorry but you disunderstood me

In the first topic is written it is save to use SWITCHBOOT with both straps for saving fuses but there are ways to boot to stock without pressing reset on the modchip(simply select reboot normal in hekate).
For me i wanted a save way to get 100% sure to not boot to stock by mistake and burn fuses and that would be maybe AutoRCM.
But for me the disadvantages of AutoRCM in combination with Switchboot + both straps are not clear at the moment.
so what i know (i hope its right)
1. i can not boot to stock without deleting AutoRCM
2. battery drain will be no problem since the usb disconnect cable and the autohosoff=1 option in hekate
3. emmc manipulation could be detected by big N but since its offline it does not matter
4. if my switch gets corrupted and wont boot, its still possible to boot to hekate and restore nand backup
are there any disadvantages i don't know ?

Is there a possibility to remove the reboot(normal) menu entry in hekate or by a option in the ini ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work