Looking for help with retraining the HWFLY v5 deluxe chip.

SkumberCucumber

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so a bit of a story to preface my actual question. I got my switch modded in the days literally right before the picofly chips exploded onto the scene, with a Hwfly v5 deluxe chip for the OLED switch, as pictured in the (somewhat blurry) photo attached to this post. That goes great.

Six months later, my WiFi/bluetooth ic chip fails, and the original chip installer doesn’t repair that part. So I send it to a local technician with experience in micro soldering, and he fixes it. During the repair process he uninstalls the modchip, then reinstalls it once the repair is done. That all goes great too.

What isn’t great is that I’ve since been having some issues with my chip being able to glitch and boot into hekate, and by proxy, CFW. I sent it back to the local technician the first time this issue popped up, and he fixed it, identifying the issue as a disconnected flex cable for the APU capacitors. That gets fixed, great again, but now the issue is back. The chip doesn’t glitch, it just flashes purple for a while, goes to yellow, then back to purple, and eventually red.

Now let me be explicitly clear: I 100% recognize that the most likely culprit for this is a faulty dat0 connection, or something similar. However, because this error started up again directly after updating my OFW and CFW from 17.0.0 to 17.0.1, there is a small but non-zero chance that this is not a hardware error and can be fixed by retraining/flashing the chip (according to my og installer). So, prior to taking the drastic step of shipping my switch all the way across the country to the original installer, with whom I’ve never had any chip issues, I’m trying all the other possible options first.

So, story time done, context over, on to my actual question: why can’t I flash/retrain this dang chip? From what I can tell, conventional wisdom as far as this chip type goes is that you have to short the two reset pads (which I’m assuming are the ones labeled “RST” in the photo attached) with a pair of tweezers to enter training mode, but that straight up didn’t do anything for me. I tried with multiple tools to bridge the gap/short the pads, and every time it just goes into the regular boot cycle I mentioned above, ending in the red light and a boot to OFW. So what am I doing wrong here folks? Does a faulty dat0 connection (which, again, is *possibly* the issue) mean no training mode?

Attachments

• IMG_3192.jpeg
    IMG_3192.jpeg
    107.8 KB · Views: 14

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto