The Nintendo Switch turns three years old

nintendo-switch-handheld-game-console-png-image-nintendo-switch-transparent-background-1000_657.png

Releasing alongside the much-awaited The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the WIld, the Nintendo Switch released with a bang on March 3, 2017, exactly three years ago today. People may have been skeptical originally, following the reception to the Wii U, but there's no doubt now on the console's third anniversary, that it's become one of the most popular video game systems of all time, with its over 50 million sales putting it between the original NES and the Super Nintendo. And what a three years it has been, with Nintendo releasing new Super Mario, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Splatoon, Luigi's Mansion, and Xenoblade Chronicles games, alongside a multitude of ports of neglected Wii U titles, to boot.

Since we last did a retrospect on the Nintendo Switch, a lot has changed, though many things have stayed the same. 2019 saw the release of some massive new first-party titles, a lot of ports, and unexpected third-party support.

The first release of that year for the Switch happened to fall on the same day of the Nintendo 3DS's swan song game: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, with Nintendo releasing both it and New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe on January 11th. It wouldn't be the only Wii U game to get a second chance that year, as Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn and Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE also followed, months later. Fans who skipped out on owning a Wii U got a chance to try the games for the first time, while others could experience them in a whole new way: on the go.

Speaking of on the go, Nintendo decided to capitalize on giving players a more portable form factor for their Switch, with the Nintendo Switch Lite. It was just the slightest bit smaller and lighter, though nowhere near as small as previous Nintendo handheld devices. Of course, while we got a Lite revision, the highly rumored Switch Pro was nowhere to be seen, and still leaves some wondering if Nintendo will ever release such a creation.

Ever the gimmick lover, Nintedo also released a wacky game: Ring Fit Adventure. Harkening back to the Wii Fit days, Ring Fit Adventure consisted of players slotting their Joy-Cons into a plastic wheel that could allow for all sorts of health-tracking and minigame misadventures. With shortages of the game and ring in both Japan and the UK, it certainly must have had people interested. Did you manage to try the game out for yourself?

That wasn't all the first half of that year had to offer, as Yoshi's Crafted World, more Toy-Cons, and the very unexpected surprise of Cadence of Hyrule all saw their release. If that wasn't enough, Nintendo had a stacked fall season, with Super Mario Maker 2, Daemon X Machina, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Dragon Quest XI S, Astral Chain, and Luigi's Mansion 3 all available as Nintendo Switch exclusives.

Of course, you can't forget Pokemon Sword and Shield, which found itself front and center in the spotlight for all the wrong reasons, following the reveal that not every Pokemon would be catchable in the games. The ensuing drama lasted for months, all the way until the games' launch date, still continuing on in heated debates over those unsatisfied with the game, and those who loved the new Pokemon games for what they were. Regardless of your stance on the National Dex and the arguments surrounding the topic, Pokemon Sword and Shield were met with absolutely massive success, reaching impressive sales figures.

What an exciting, dramatic, and wild year it has been! Can the console's future year on the market hope to compare, with the release of the hotly-anticipated Animal Crossing: New Horizons on the well, horizon? Only time will tell. But while we wait to see what Nintendo has in store, what do you think we'll see this year?

MajinCubyan

The Funky Super Saiyan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought one for SMT V. And here I am, 3 years later, with nothing new about the game. Love it but I want the game I bought it for lol

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
And all it has to show for it is a smattering of old third party ports and absolutely abysmal first party output.
Online is gimped as usual, but requires a subscription, Virtual Console is a joke and the included controllers are basically trash with how often they require repair.

Imho, worst home console Nintendo has released, ever.
lol - its ther birthday today and birthday rules always means you hav to say 1 thing good about it

D

Deleted User

I bought my Switch at launch with Breath of the Wild. I never expected the Switch to be so succesful.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3 years and only 8 exclusives I would play, and only 3 upcoming that I would play. Still a pass. At this point I will probably just wait for the next N console that will be either backwards compatible, or the games I would play will get re-released on it anyway. I can't justify the price of the console for 11 games. To each their own. :)

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
And all it has to show for it is a smattering of old third party ports and absolutely abysmal first party output.
Online is gimped as usual, but requires a subscription, Virtual Console is a joke and the included controllers are basically trash with how often they require repair.

Imho, worst home console Nintendo has released, ever.
Virtual Boy is better? Or does it not count?

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

troa11

Older Than You
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hardly important - but fact-check that Kirby line. Kirby's Epic Yarn was a Wii title that got a 3DS port Like DKCR. Not a Wii U title that got a Switch port. Like DKC:TF.

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's "hey all" and he has stated such himself :gun:
Actually in the South it is "all y'all" for 5+ people despite the urban dictionary says 3 people or more. It's a Southern thing.
Edit:
It is possible that in some states that "all y'all" refers to 3+ people instead of 5+.

Last edited by RandomUser,

skawo

Trophies
XP
Country
What does that have to do with anything? It was not sold as a home console. I don't consider it a home console. End of story. Answered the question. The Switch is obviously better than the Virtual Boy.

qqq1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had my Switch for a year and haven't played it yet. Modded it, tested it for 5 minutes, set it on a shelf. I do want to play Mario at some point but there's been nothing to make me want to pick it up. I'm not saying it's bad, it just hasn't interested me. I really have more fun building gaming boxes and modding consoles than actually playing games any more.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
3 years and only 8 exclusives I would play, and only 3 upcoming that I would play. Still a pass. At this point I will probably just wait for the next N console that will be either backwards compatible, or the games I would play will get re-released on it anyway. I can't justify the price of the console for 11 games. To each their own. :)
i wish i shared your opinion

i really do

11 games they said

https://trello.com/b/9niSWhVJ/scarlets-switch-games

somebody dig me out of this hole

Reactions: banjo2

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Biomutant looks cool tho, may have to try that
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @BigOnYa...