The Nintendo Switch turns three years old

nintendo-switch-handheld-game-console-png-image-nintendo-switch-transparent-background-1000_657.png

Releasing alongside the much-awaited The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the WIld, the Nintendo Switch released with a bang on March 3, 2017, exactly three years ago today. People may have been skeptical originally, following the reception to the Wii U, but there's no doubt now on the console's third anniversary, that it's become one of the most popular video game systems of all time, with its over 50 million sales putting it between the original NES and the Super Nintendo. And what a three years it has been, with Nintendo releasing new Super Mario, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Splatoon, Luigi's Mansion, and Xenoblade Chronicles games, alongside a multitude of ports of neglected Wii U titles, to boot.

Since we last did a retrospect on the Nintendo Switch, a lot has changed, though many things have stayed the same. 2019 saw the release of some massive new first-party titles, a lot of ports, and unexpected third-party support.

The first release of that year for the Switch happened to fall on the same day of the Nintendo 3DS's swan song game: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, with Nintendo releasing both it and New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe on January 11th. It wouldn't be the only Wii U game to get a second chance that year, as Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn and Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE also followed, months later. Fans who skipped out on owning a Wii U got a chance to try the games for the first time, while others could experience them in a whole new way: on the go.

Speaking of on the go, Nintendo decided to capitalize on giving players a more portable form factor for their Switch, with the Nintendo Switch Lite. It was just the slightest bit smaller and lighter, though nowhere near as small as previous Nintendo handheld devices. Of course, while we got a Lite revision, the highly rumored Switch Pro was nowhere to be seen, and still leaves some wondering if Nintendo will ever release such a creation.

Ever the gimmick lover, Nintedo also released a wacky game: Ring Fit Adventure. Harkening back to the Wii Fit days, Ring Fit Adventure consisted of players slotting their Joy-Cons into a plastic wheel that could allow for all sorts of health-tracking and minigame misadventures. With shortages of the game and ring in both Japan and the UK, it certainly must have had people interested. Did you manage to try the game out for yourself?

That wasn't all the first half of that year had to offer, as Yoshi's Crafted World, more Toy-Cons, and the very unexpected surprise of Cadence of Hyrule all saw their release. If that wasn't enough, Nintendo had a stacked fall season, with Super Mario Maker 2, Daemon X Machina, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Dragon Quest XI S, Astral Chain, and Luigi's Mansion 3 all available as Nintendo Switch exclusives.

Of course, you can't forget Pokemon Sword and Shield, which found itself front and center in the spotlight for all the wrong reasons, following the reveal that not every Pokemon would be catchable in the games. The ensuing drama lasted for months, all the way until the games' launch date, still continuing on in heated debates over those unsatisfied with the game, and those who loved the new Pokemon games for what they were. Regardless of your stance on the National Dex and the arguments surrounding the topic, Pokemon Sword and Shield were met with absolutely massive success, reaching impressive sales figures.

What an exciting, dramatic, and wild year it has been! Can the console's future year on the market hope to compare, with the release of the hotly-anticipated Animal Crossing: New Horizons on the well, horizon? Only time will tell. But while we wait to see what Nintendo has in store, what do you think we'll see this year?

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Actually in the South it is "all y'all" for 5+ people despite the urban dictionary says 3 people or more. It's a Southern thing.
Edit:
It is possible that in some states that "all y'all" refers to 3+ people instead of 5+.
Interesting

But. youtu.be/1yGhiu4EhA0?t=6330

Edit: Didn't embed because GBATemp is dumb

Last edited by banjo2, , Reason: For the last time GBATemp I WANT TO PUT A TIMESTAMP IN

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Releasing alongside the much-awaited The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the WIld,
Which turned out to be a trash game that only superficially resembles Legend of Zelda, due to including unnecessary and unwanted survival mechanics (weapon and shield fragility, stamina, temperature) that do nothing but provide hindrances and frustration. Every previous Legend of Zelda game did just fine without such inane survival mechanics; this open-world one would've been better without them too.
Then there's the other things, like how empty open-worlds - including this one - are, compared to closed-worlds. The Wind Waker has more content packed into each of its 49 map squares than Breath of the Wild does, and TWW HD sped up traversal time significantly - I was rarely bored sailing in my just-finished playthrough, And how repetitive Breath of the Wild's shrines are, yet they're only way to obtain spirit orbs to exchange for EITHER more life or more stamina. And the 900 Korok Seed thing - yeah, no, having to water eight withered trees within 30 minutes was enough Korok action, and having to collect 900 of anything is stupid.

Much-awaited, but also much-disappointing. Experimental, in the wrong ways. Supposed to be a throwback to Zelda I, but utterly failed at that.

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Nintendo decided to capitalize on giving players a more portable form factor for their Switch, with the Nintendo Switch Lite
Which still has unaligned analog sticks and the lack of space between analog sticks and buttons. Also not vulnerable to RCM exploits whatsoever.
Yeah, no.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Pokemon Sword and Shield were met with absolutely massive success,
Only because of the multi-billion-dollar brand name, not game quality.
If a game only succeeds due to brand recognition, instead of how good it itself actually is, then that's a surefire way to know something's rotten at the development and publishing end.

Not to mention significantly overcharging customers for garbage-quality products, minor expansions that don't even bring everything back, or a method of storing 6 MB of data.

Game FrEAk.

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm another one whose Switch collects a lot of dust... I got Luigi's Mansion 3 and MK11 for it most recently late last year, but I find myself not using it for large periods of time and being more drawn to my retro systems

Oh well

It was worth the price of admission for BoTW and playing through Tropical Freeze (didn't have a Wii U at the time, and sold it after a play through and picked up a used Wii U copy for collection / replay purposes)

They've milked this system so hard though

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Then there's the other things, like how empty open-worlds - including this one - are, compared to closed-worlds. The Wind Waker has more content packed into each of its 49 map squares than Breath of the Wild does, and TWW HD sped up traversal time significantly
Get on a horse

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do the Nintendo subscriptions ever go on sale or anything?

I know they're only $20 for a year but the value still isn't there imo compared to something like PSN. Just considering getting back on MK8D and Splatoon 2 train.

DANTENDO

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

I know they're only $20 for a year but the value still isn't there imo compared to something like PSN. Just considering getting back on MK8D and Splatoon 2 train.
people still moaning about 20 bucks a year lol its about 6p a day thts english pence btw - stop stressing over pennies and just pay up

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
people still moaning about 20 bucks a year lol its about 6p a day thts english pence btw - stop stressing over pennies and just pay up

I very well might do it,

but rationalizing a cost per day for any service adds up when you have tons. NSO is just bad value even at $20

its a pay wall, with a few ROM pack ins.

Reactions: AkiraKurusu

|<roni&g

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Had one since Xmas, set it up but never played. Would of played it a ton if it was the hackable model. Will play through a link to the past soon tho & hope for a hack/cfw. Just remembered I have mario kart 8 on it but not paying for online, I'll stick with wiiU

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

Please, watch this video and this video.

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I unfortunately cant spare 40 min of my time with something I generally agree with as a premise.

the bottom line though is I have a lot more PS titles I want to play on line so I can actually rationalize it... Switch I have two of which one is already on Wii U and the other's first of the series as well which plays similarly and I already have. But my Wii U hasn't been hooked up for a bit.

And at least Sony gives out PS+ games every month. That sweetens it at least a little.

Plus the fact I get PSN on sale for around the $30's -- much more value than NSO that is an inflexible $20 as far as I can tell. And when I got my Vita last year, it reduced the cost of digital games already on sale a little too.

and I already have an SNES mini and don't really care about the NES pack ins

As far as xbox live goes, I'd be lying if I didn't say I probably won't cave on like a 3 month just for master chief collection no longer being broken, after all these years, and the fact I don't have a gaming PC at all. But if not for that, my xbox one has been a glorified blu ray player for years now. Since the moment I got my ps4 pro at its launch it became that, and even before then.

Last edited by playstays_shun,

DANTENDO

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I very well might do it,

but rationalizing a cost per day for any service adds up when you have tons. NSO is just bad value even at $20

its a pay wall, with a few ROM pack ins.
im guessing yr gonna put lots of hours into the games you mentioned - did you kno it takes me one hour to get to work and costs 7 quid -so think about people who hav to pay out to get to ther job then youl realize what a bloody good deal yr getting
im to busy playing online to watch videos -i want to get my moneys worth :lol:

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im guessing yr gonna put lots of hours into the games you mentioned - did you kno it takes me one hour to get to work and costs 7 quid -so think about people who hav to pay out to get to ther job then youl realize what a bloody good deal yr getting

im to busy playing online to watch videos -i want to get my moneys worth :lol:

I dont do that level of rationalizing though, comparing an online service to an unavoidable commute to work haha.

Used to be like that, but not anymore. It's can I rationalize a purchase for the value I get, not 'what else have I wasted time or money on , that is much worse in life, to make this not that bad in relation to it' With that perspective, you can probably rationalize just about anything lol

But as stated, I probably will cave and sign up for NSO again and be a hypocrite. I already have once for a one year. Just wasn't happy about it especially since the system was once free, and offered for my purposes as much value now as it did prior.

I'm happy to support Nintendo, and have and do, but I think they are still milking the Switch so much because they can get away with it. They're the Apple of gaming. More so than Sony or MS imo and those guys aren't saints either.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM