Nintendo announces Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door remaster

Nintendo is bringing back Paper Mario by remastering Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. It'll be bringing the classic game to the Nintendo Switch with new graphics sometime next year. The original game launched in 2004 for the Nintendo GameCube, and was developed by Intelligent Systems.

BoneheadBraixen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HOLY CANNOLI, everyone speaks like this is a Banjo-Kazooie game and I love it with all my li'l gay heart. Gosh, what they've shown is already amazing and I'm purchasing it day 1, but like. I kind of hope they restore the stuff about Vivian being trans and all, even if it was intended to be a joke at her expense in the original or somesuch.

Anyways, LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'm not the biggest fan of the original PM: TTYD, compared to Super.

Hopefully they speed up the stupid Peach segments, or even better make them optional and skippable; those just completely wrecked the pace of the game. Super only really had one Peacb segment before she joined the party, and she had the same walking speed as Mario - sooooo much better.
And then Sticker Star had zero Peach segments. Zero's better than seven or eight.

I imagine they'll retime the action commands, so they won't be as difficult; this should also help with my dislike of the level-up system (increasing only one stat per level? Why not follow Super Mario RPG and increase all stats, with a chosen stat getting a few extra points?) as hopefully I won't be needing both HP and BP at the same time as much.

Super also had the more interesting character design, not to mention a superior cast of characters - I'll never forget Count Bleck's crew, while the X-Nauts are inherently forgettable. The music is fantastic, and the world themes are far better than anything TTYD offered (8-bit retro, space, analogues to hell and heaven, the ancient past, etc.) since they're separate worlds rather than parts of the same world.

I also honestly think Super has the superior gameplay, too - no more finicky action commands; it's platformer-based now, making it far easier to just dodge enemy attacks, and the Pixls and Bowser and Luigi provide more than enough combat variety, not to mention Mario's 3D shifting.

Last edited by AkiraKurusu,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hype. I was hoping after the Super Mario RPG announcement that Nintendo was finally coming around and TTYD would be next, but I wasn't actually expecting it.
Now that it's happening... This is a very good sign that Nintendo might be willing to embrace more story heavy Paper Mario games again. Hopefully, the next Paper Mario will be something more in this vein, even if it's just an experiment and doesn't become the standard for future Paper Mario.

RedoLane

Supreme Punmaster
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
That's two AMAZING Mario RPGs in the span of a year.
My excitement is much or less the same as the rest...But I can't help but notice the framerate in the trailer.
The original managed to run at 60fps without issues.
The remaster seem to struggle and get major dips, around 35-45.
Really hope I'm wrong and they'll manage to optimize it over the months.

XBzombieMan1337

Former Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door is the last game in the series I have not played. So I will be much happier paying $60 for this remaster over the sickening $100+ copies I've seen being sold for years now!

Reactions: Axido

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Interesting, but not $70 interesting. Original game is still good. Gamecube looks great with Retro-bit Prism, or Carby. Or play on Wii, or modded Wii U. Or if you have no meaningful sensitivity to authenticity, just use an emulator you cretin.
Unless you are actively pirating the game (as in not providing a rom file dumped from your own copy of the game), $70 (or more likely $60) isn't such a high asking price compared to what you have to pay for the original nowadays. The US version is well over $100 on ebay. Don't even get me started about the superior EU versions that thankfully are all multilanguage.

Anyone who still has it from back in the day probably won't really need the Switch version. I for one sure am going to get it once it's on sale somewhere, even though I already own the GCN version.

aarti

Killua Zoldyck
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just bring Gamecube games to NSO and release it there, don‘t need no remakes remasters whatever

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Completely forgot that the price was 70. I guess modern switch games are now getting 10 dollars priccier
A price inst even listed on any storefront left. Though I would expect $60. I think Nintendo's only $70 title at the moments it TOTK.

_TheGuy_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only redeeming factor in this Direct was this game. Everything else was either mid, disappointment, or another Mario franchise title. Again.

Just bring Gamecube games to NSO and release it there, don‘t need no remakes remasters whatever
Switch can't handle Gamecube emulation. Dolphin doesn't run full speed on the Switch firstly. And the emulators they've baked into 3D All Stars aren't able to be tampered with. Having to re-tweak settings on a game-by-game basis for an NSO GC selection sounds like a headache, and why for a $50 subcription when they could charge each game $60 separately? Damn vultures.

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not the biggest fan of the original PM: TTYD, compared to Super.

Hopefully they speed up the stupid Peach segments, or even better make them optional and skippable; those just completely wrecked the pace of the game. Super only really had one Peacb segment before she joined the party, and she had the same walking speed as Mario - sooooo much better.
And then Sticker Star had zero Peach segments. Zero's better than seven or eight.

I imagine they'll retime the action commands, so they won't be as difficult; this should also help with my dislike of the level-up system (increasing only one stat per level? Why not follow Super Mario RPG and increase all stats, with a chosen stat getting a few extra points?) as hopefully I won't be needing both HP and BP at the same time as much.

Super also had the more interesting character design, not to mention a superior cast of characters - I'll never forget Count Bleck's crew, while the X-Nauts are inherently forgettable. The music is fantastic, and the world themes are far better than anything TTYD offered (8-bit retro, space, analogues to hell and heaven, the ancient past, etc.) since they're separate worlds rather than parts of the same world.

I also honestly think Super has the superior gameplay, too - no more finicky action commands; it's platformer-based now, making it far easier to just dodge enemy attacks, and the Pixls and Bowser and Luigi provide more than enough combat variety, not to mention Mario's 3D shifting.
These are complaints I have never heard before. Were the 10 minute peach interludes really that pace breaking?

I also have never heard anyone having a hard time with the action commands... were you playing on original hardware? You may have had some extra latency if you were playing on an emulator.

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
These are complaints I have never heard before. Were the 10 minute peach interludes really that pace breaking?

I also have never heard anyone having a hard time with the action commands... were you playing on original hardware? You may have had some extra latency if you were playing on an emulator.
Considering how slow Peach walks in the first two games, and how banal the tasks she has to do are...yes, they are quite pace-breaking. With Mario, you've got all of the Mushroom Kingdom or the Rogueport landmass (plus islands) to explore, with partners and combat and other stuff. With Bowser, it's a few short and sweet 2D platformer sequences that don't outstay their welcome, except this time you get to play as Bowser, with fire breath and all.

With Peach? Slooowly explore her castle whilst avoiding guards (else you get kicked back to her room) in order to find some information; play one quiz one time, or bake a cake once. Yaaay.
Or in TTYD, do a QTE dance sequence or figure out a puzzle to brew an invisibility potion in order to find a Famicom disk that's holding X-Naut info. Also yaaaay.
Not nearly as fun as Mario or Bowser, and she always ends up telling Mario any info obtained anyway - the games could've easily gotten away with Twink or the Mailbox SP thing telling Mario said information without the damn Peach segments. They're just boring, repetitive, tedious filler.

Oh, and the Action Commands? I originally played both PM64 and TTYD on my Wii, back in the day, and some commands were damn frustrating - does the Wii count as "original hardware"? Last year or so, I did play TTYD via Dolphin, using my 8bitdo Pro 2 controller, and I still wasn't all that impressed with the action commands - heck, I never did finish that playthrough as I just got bored of the game, thanks to both the shit Peach sequences and the General White hunt.

Reactions: Nerdtendo

Ricken

Searching for the air to breathe~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering how slow Peach walks in the first two games, and how banal the tasks she has to do are...yes, they are quite pace-breaking. With Mario, you've got all of the Mushroom Kingdom or the Rogueport landmass (plus islands) to explore, with partners and combat and other stuff. With Bowser, it's a few short and sweet 2D platformer sequences that don't outstay their welcome, except this time you get to play as Bowser, with fire breath and all.

With Peach? Slooowly explore her castle whilst avoiding guards (else you get kicked back to her room) in order to find some information; play one quiz one time, or bake a cake once. Yaaay.
Or in TTYD, do a QTE dance sequence or figure out a puzzle to brew an invisibility potion in order to find a Famicom disk that's holding X-Naut info. Also yaaaay.
Not nearly as fun as Mario or Bowser, and she always ends up telling Mario any info obtained anyway - the games could've easily gotten away with Twink or the Mailbox SP thing telling Mario said information without the damn Peach segments. They're just boring, repetitive, tedious filler.

Oh, and the Action Commands? I originally played both PM64 and TTYD on my Wii, back in the day, and some commands were damn frustrating - does the Wii count as "original hardware"? Last year or so, I did play TTYD via Dolphin, using my 8bitdo Pro 2 controller, and I still wasn't all that impressed with the action commands - heck, I never did finish that playthrough as I just got bored of the game, thanks to both the shit Peach sequences and the General White hunt.
I have remarkably fond memories of playing TTYD with a Gamecube controller in particular. Action command timings were consistent thanks to the wired controller and I enjoyed practicing them.

I am concerned that, by bringing TTYD to the Switch, action commands will either be too difficult from variable BT lag or too easy from overadjustment to attempt circumventing the aforementioned concern. Or maybe, myself and three of my friends collectively have five Switches that struggle to work in environments where any bluetooth interference is present (a surround sound system) and I'm worrying too much.

I like TTYD and I feel the Peach segments are charming, but I do admittedly dread them when I replay the game.

Super Paper Mario has a very consistent charm, and the better story (imo), but TTYD blows me out of the water with what it achieves. Also. Hooktail/Gloomtail/Bonetail > Fracktail Wracktail. Loved the Wii Shop Channel asset usage though.

MadMakuFuuma

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Feel a remake of this game was unnecessary, since the original is just as good as it is, imo, but guess better than a new shitty and unfunny PM game. shrug
well, see for this angle: if people like this remaster MORE than the last paper mario games (origami, sticker etc) maybe the next paper mario (if a new game ever are made) return to its roots (turn based rpg)? i really hope so.

Reactions: DarkCoffe64

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Interesting. While I certainly don't agree with those criticisms I won't knock your experience. It sounds like we both agree that SPM is an excellent game though.

well, see for this angle: if people like this remaster MORE than the last paper mario games (origami, sticker etc) maybe the next paper mario (if a new game ever are made) return to its roots (turn based rpg)? i really hope so.
Wonderful, it seems it is not just me that's huffing that copium

Nincompoopdo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's near the end of Switch's life, I don't feel like buying anymore games for it. When the new console is out, someone will revealed a soft hack to easily install CFW. It's the same for all the consoles.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
What gives you this idea?
Why are people so negative all the time?
Jesus. Just be happy, that this remaster is happening.

Sticker Star.

Developers of the Paper Mario games outright being told they can't add original characters.

Certain person dislike for stories.

gaga941021

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Sticker Star.

Developers of the Paper Mario games outright being told they can't add original characters.

Certain person dislike for stories.
Irrelevant, since Sticket Star was a new game and not adding new characters =/= removing old characters.

This is a remaster/remake.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: BO1 is good, all 3 modes are good in that game