The Nintendo Switch 2 has been delayed to 2025, according to reports

switch-2.jpg

The Nintendo Switch has had a dominant life as a hybrid console-handheld, enjoying success since its launch in 2017. However, late last year heard some rumblings that Nintendo was preparing to move onward to a successor to the Nintendo Switch. According to Video Games Chronicle, Eurogamer, and other insider sources, development kits for a "Switch 2" had already been sent out to third-party devs, and rumors were claiming that the system would launch sometime in 2024.

Now, things have changed. While Nintendo was planning to launch the Switch 2 around late 2024, those same insider sources claim that due to some internal delays, the next-gen Nintendo console is targeting a Q1 2025 launch--similar to the original Switch, which launched in March 2017. VGC's sources state that the Switch 2 still plans on being a hybrid system, offering portable functionality, while Eurogamer corroborates VGC's statements, while additionally adding that the reasoning is so that the Switch 2 features as many launch titles as possible.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
Bloomberg,who?

Bloomberg told about a switch pro: where is switch pro?
They dont know nothing.

Nate the Hate has spoken about a direct third party next week
and the reveal of new console on march.
So we wait and see if he is right....
Once Nate the Hate once told that the super mario 3D all stars was pushed to the next year. Two days later it was announced and released very quickly. He had the noble attitude of delete his wrong prediction tweet afterwards.

This guy is as wrong as Bloomberg for predictions.

That said, it's easy to guess a February direct, as it's happens every year.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Switch games are still being pumped out at a stupid rate

Nintendo keep the Nes alive for years after the Super Nintendo launched. And the Wii keep getting games for years after the Wii U launched. Same for the 3DS after the Switch launch.

The Switch won't die yet.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm guessing Nintendo is also wanting the time to make enough of these "super switch" they won't sell out instantly and be unavailable for a super long time like the ps5 and series x.

It'll come out when it comes out. I'd rather they have extra time to tweak and polish. Maybe add some bells and whistles to the backward compatibility (run smoother, higher res, ect. support). Maybe add gamecube+dreamcast games to online.

• Haha
Reactions: Ligeia and KingVamp

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm guessing Nintendo is also wanting the time to make enough of these "super switch" they won't sell out instantly and be unavailable for a super long time like the ps5 and series x.

It'll come out when it comes out. I'd rather they have extra time to tweak and polish. Maybe add some bells and whistles to the backward compatibility (run smoother, higher res, ect. support). Maybe add gamecube+dreamcast games to online.
I think if they add gamecube or dreamcast online it will be a cloud thing unless their going to want a person to have a nice sd card for storage for that.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm for one glad it's delayed, because for hacked switch owners it means they can get free games for even longer :-), the longer it's delayed the better.
I came here to say this! I just sent my Switch out to get chipped and there's also a MIG on the way, so I am not terribly concerned about the Switch 2 at the moment.

Reactions: mrdude

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo keep the Nes alive for years after the Super Nintendo launched. And the Wii keep getting games for years after the Wii U launched. Same for the 3DS after the Switch launch.

The Switch won't die yet.
It sure as shit better not die within 5-10 years and I mean in terms of online service support because people have spent a lot to build their digital game libraries and losing access to it would just be a huge middle finger for the customers.

Not to mention the Updates and DLCs. That really needs to be archived by multiple users considering in 20-30 years time the only way some games will be playable is via piracy.

ScaryHobbit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It won't be. That would require it to be more expensive. Modern Vintage Gamer even has a video about that. Also the Switch isn't backward compatible so why do that with the Switch 2 when basically everyone who wants a Switch already has one?
Modern Vintage Gamer is an idiot.
You are talking about a company that soldered a whole entire Wii OS onto the Wii U just to have Backwards Compatibility - a console which had a Gamepad that completely blew up its production cost.

Kazmar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well just to throw something positive into the mix - if it's got games I want, I'll get it. Which pretty much means if the any Xenoblade Chronicles is exclusive to it I'll have to pick it up.
Like others have said though, I barely take mine out of the dock, but the option is nice to have. If the system is on bar with the PS4 and has 8 GB of RAM, I think almost any game is possible.

Side note: Prey from 2017 is one of the most brilliant games I've ever played, and I'd totally double dip if it was on Switch 2.

Reactions: ScaryHobbit

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It sure as shit better not die within 5-10 years and I mean in terms of online service support because people have spent a lot to build their digital game libraries and losing access to it would just be a huge middle finger for the customers.
So...standard operating procedure for Ninty then. All five fingers on both hands are middles.

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
Switch
Switch 2.0 (Better Battery)
Switch OLED
Switch Lite

Man, that's way too many as it is. I guess they could release one called "Switch Mini" in that they'd somehow make it to the size of a GBA/3DS.
Well, this is Nintendo. It's in their interest to do this sort of thing, apparently, when it comes to hand helds.

Gameboy
Gameboy Pocket
Gameboy Colour

Gameboy Advance
Gameboy Advance SP
Gameboy Micro

DS
DSi
DS Lite

3DS
3DSXL
2DS
New 3DS
New 3DSXL

I'm probably missing a couple of models, too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/0jb7vuzh3Xc?si=tYLCTavJ89a3Tdt0