The Game of Thrones (HBO TV Series)

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually really did grow to like the series. I mean it has its stupid "wat" moments but in general it has really nice plots, really nice characters, great acting, and I just appreciate it for all its care and time. It's saddening to see movies come out and go "Game of Thrones looks better than this."

March is always a great month. My dad's birthday, my birthday, and now Game of Thrones. Also a shitload of video game releases.

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
Just over a month to go. Looking forward to it. I had trouble getting into this series but once I did it got amazingly brilliant. I started watching it after season 2 had began but already had downloaded season 1 =D

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
March will be a very nice time. Lots of new games, and Game of Thrones season 3. Never read the books (though my brother has 1 to 4). I am personally going behind Tyrion all the way, no matter what happens. Long live the Imp.

I do like Jon Snow's character though, and it looks like he'll be getting lots of face time in season 3, what with it being mostly beyond the wall, where the story just went Frozen Throne Arthas on us.

And somebody kill that snotty boy king please. Like, episode 1. Die horribly, because you hurt Amelia Pond!

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do like Jon Snow's character though, and it looks like he'll be getting lots of face time in season 3, what with it being mostly beyond the wall, where the story just went Frozen Throne Arthas on us.

Well, you know what they say, Snow bloodlines, snow problems.

I'm with you on Tyrian though, one of the best characters on TV. Really great acting too and he's always been the most interesting.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Well, you know what they say, Snow bloodlines, snow problems.

I'm with you on Tyrian though, one of the best characters on TV. Really great acting too and he's always been the most interesting.
Blame the dialogue. He gets lots of really quotable lines. My personal favorite? That one with, "and your joy will turn to ash in your mouth. And you will know a debt is paid." I got chills from that one, slack jawed and all. But I suppose that event probably hasn't even been written yet. It's just too big to happen too soon.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The books are awesome, I've read all 5. The problem with reading the books is you end them and are left wanting more. And while you only have to wait a year or so between tv seasons, there was a 5 year wait between books 3 and 4 and 6 year wait between books 4 and 5. God only knows how long we'll be waiting for book 6, hopefully the show isn't delayed just so he can finish writing it (since, as all anime fans in this thread know, we don't want any filler arcs...)

D

Deleted_171835

I've started watching Game of Thrones (just finished the premiere) but after hearing about the books, I'm wondering if I should read those first and then continue to watch the show.

krazykracker1288

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I just finished watching it as well. Pretty good, although Season 2 starts to stray away from the books. I've finished the first book, halfway through the second and I've already noticed tons of differences. Will hopefully be done with the second by the end of the week, I'm curious to see where everything goes in the third.

Agreed. Season 1 followed the book exactly, minus some character development, but cut them some slack. They have around 12 one hour episodes to cram hours and HOURS of reading, so all in all its a dam good effort. After season one though, they mix up details here and there in the second season to fit into the tv show format a little better. If you've read (or are reading) the books however, they make the show all the more enjoyable since character development is already done in detail.

Reactions: Tom Bombadildo

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've started watching Game of Thrones (just finished the premiere) but after hearing about the books, I'm wondering if I should read those first and then continue to watch the show.

I watched the first season, then started reading the books because I was too impatient to find out what happened:)

The first season is pretty close to the first book. The second season makes some interesting deviations from the 2nd book and throws in some things from the third book - not all of which I agree with, but presumably it all goes to the same place at the end. If your not going to read the books, I would at least google a good "differences between the show and book" page so you get filled in on the missing details.

One downside of reading the books is you know the major plot twists in advance so you're not really surprised when you see them on TV. Not that this is any different really from any other movie you've read book of, but it is worth noting.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Care to elaborate?
Yeah sure, It made me feel the same way Breaking Bad made me feel. Nothing good ever really happens, I mean someone get the throne, the get killed. Gruesomely. Its raw and took lots of energy for me to sit down and "get through" and episode.

I mean i have no problem with people who like it, thats fine. Its well written and i can see how people enjoy it, but like BB its not for me at all.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Yeah sure, It made me feel the same way Breaking Bad made me feel. Nothing good ever really happens, I mean someone get the throne, the get killed. Gruesomely. Its raw and took lots of energy for me to sit down and "get through" and episode.

I mean i have no problem with people who like it, thats fine. Its well written and i can see how people enjoy it, but like BB its not for me at all.
I see. If you like the story, I strongly suggest the books, as the TV series is definitely dumbed down.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...