The Game of Thrones (HBO TV Series)

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
In a few days S4 starts, looking forward to it.
I've watched the past 2 seasons in the past month, not a habit of mine but I couldn't stand the spoilers on my facebook wall anymore. It's so frustrating to see things about GoT everywhere when you want to save the series and watch it at your own pace.
So, I decided to 'bite the bullet' and watch all the seasons, get up to speed, and watch S4 as it comes out. Annoying but it had to happen, hoping for less spoilers

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm bumping this because I Binged through the entire series last month ad have been keeping up ever since. Loving the series, it's always twisting and throwing things at me i'd never expect. Cannot wait to see what happens in the last 2 episodes.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The obvious "inb4 everyone dies".

The series is quite well designed and the season finale will be spectacular if all signs are correct. The series has been done quite close to what the books have thus far said, though with a few additions from GRRM for fixing the continuum of the series (the books were done one after the other, so some inconsistencies have happened). Hyped!

hxchemicalkid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This season is probably the worst in terms of understanding what is going on. There are so many plots and characters. I'm kind of glad that most of them are dying, less people to keep track of :P. That being said, The Viper vs The Mountain was amazing even if the outcome was unfortunate.

Reactions: Satangel

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Sooooooooooo many deaths, of decent sized characters too. I fear for the next seasons really, they can't keep killing them all off, they just can't.
I'm reading through Book 3, after that it's Book 4, which will be featured in Season 5. So I should be able to tell soon if they can keep up with the deaths.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
That was a disgusting fianle that butchered some of the book's best fucking moments.

Also, where was my ASOS Epilogue?

Guess it died when the Others overran the place where the Night's Watch was ;)
Maybe they don't want to further complicate it, it's already hard enough to keep up with all the characters/names

RikuCrafter

Trophies
XP
Country
Guess it died when the Others overran the place where the Night's Watch was ;)
Maybe they don't want to further complicate it, it's already hard enough to keep up with all the characters/names
That epilogue is definitely crucial.

Hopefully it comes next season, but damn it was the kind of thing necessary for a cliffhanger.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
That epilogue is definitely crucial.

Hopefully it comes next season, but damn it was the kind of thing necessary for a cliffhanger.

Oh my bad I thought you said prologue, hence the wink smiley. I haven't read the epilogue yet, almost at page 500 of the 1000+ pages monster ASOS is.

I really fear, from what I've read online on spoilerfree discussion sites, that the best has passed in GoT now. From here on, at least the books are, considerably less fun and vivacious than the others.
Not personal experience, just what I find online from people who have finished the series

RikuCrafter

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh my bad I thought you said prologue, hence the wink smiley. I haven't read the epilogue yet, almost at page 500 of the 1000+ pages monster ASOS is.

I really fear, from what I've read online on spoilerfree discussion sites, that the best has passed in GoT now. From here on, at least the books are, considerably less fun and vivacious than the others.
Not personal experience, just what I find online from people who have finished the series

It's definitely past the golden age that is ASOS. There's still a bit of ASOS left for them to cover, but both books 4 and 5 are not as explosive. I think D&D can do well to spice them up though.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sitting here I am of mixed opinions. On the one hand it was good TV, some of the deviations from the books I thought improved things and others I am not so sure about. Unlike some earlier series though I am not sure what I would edit differently or do all that differently.
Neil Marshall does direct a good medieval fight scene though (even if that was episode 9).

The whole dragon burning the child thing I recall was left somewhat more ambiguous in the book, to great effect too.
On the wall the Stannis save felt a bit more 11th hour than it did here.
No mention of Mance Rayder's child?

Earlier on I said the series risks becoming something of a cliff notes for the book, this is more so than ever here I think. Still makes for enjoyable TV though.

D

Deleted_171835

Was rooting for Daenarys but after she kicked out Jorah and became all high on her "liberator of slaves, mother of all" bullshit, I'm on Stannis, the one true king's side now. If only he would get rid of psycho ass Melisandre.

But otherwise decent enough finale, it wasn't that eventful but I enjoyed it. The fire-shooting elf girl didn't really jive with me though as Game of Thrones has always come across as a more "grounded" medieval fantasy universe (as grounded as giants, dragons and people that can see through the eyes of animals can be) but I guess I'll get used to that.

Now to read the books or not...

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The fire-shooting elf girl didn't really jive with me though as Game of Thrones has always come across as a more "grounded" medieval fantasy universe (as grounded as giants, dragons and people that can see through the eyes of animals can be) but I guess I'll get used to that.

When the show and books quite literally open with people fighting ice demons is that really such a stretch?

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Was rooting for Daenarys but after she kicked out Jorah and became all high on her "liberator of slaves, mother of all" bullshit, I'm on Stannis, the one true king's side now. If only he would get rid of psycho ass Melisandre.

But otherwise decent enough finale, it wasn't that eventful but I enjoyed it. The fire-shooting elf girl didn't really jive with me though as Game of Thrones has always come across as a more "grounded" medieval fantasy universe (as grounded as giants, dragons and people that can see through the eyes of animals can be) but I guess I'll get used to that.

Now to read the books or not...

Even the books are called a Song of Ice and Fire, it's really not that hard to see where it's going to.

I was so hoping for Daenerys to kick him from those steps, like the messenger from the Persians was kicked into that well. Just a slow, painful kick, dropping Jorah to the ground.

Also, I'm not yet there in the books, but I wouldn't be surprised seeing Jorah at the Wall, eventually. In the first (or 2nd season dunno) they mentioned Jeor Mormont (Lord Commander of Night's Watch) is the father to Jorah, so it's only logic that he'll succeed him now.

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
Hey guys I only started watching GoT this month as usually I like to wait for the entire show to end so I can watch the lot.
I just finished season 4 yesterday (ep 9 was amazing!) and I am gutted that season 5 is like a year away and even a season 6 has been commissioned so I wondered, where abouts in the book is the end of season 4?
I can't be bothered to start reading what I've already watched but I'm all for carrying on from season 4 end.

I just got Person of Interest to start watching (anygood?) and Sons of Anarchy starts again in September!!!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They do roughly follow the books but they did pinch a bit from book 4 for this one, not to mention it deviated somewhat (arguably for the better). Still if you start on book 4 then it should mostly work.

Person of Interest... if you figure most of the American shows you like probably come from some form of paid cable (they have an odd TV setup over there) then person of interest is probably the first one on free to air to take the lessons from all those other shows and really run with it (though things like FlashForward would have to be recognised). That said it is not that the early episodes are bad but they took a while to find their pace/style. I reckon it would do better with the somewhat more uncensored approach of a HBO show but it does not do badly.

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
So it is just the Game Of Thrones complete book I want? There are quite a few different ones so want to make sure I get the right one. Is it true that the story hasn't actually been finished yet in the books i.e there is another book to come out?

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
So it is just the Game Of Thrones complete book I want? There are quite a few different ones so want to make sure I get the right one. Is it true that the story hasn't actually been finished yet in the books i.e there is another book to come out?

You would want A Feast for Crows, if you really want to start reading where the TV season 4 ended. Which I wouldn't recommend, it's much better to start in order and read all the books, you'll understand and enjoy it much more. But okay, I can understand reading 2000 pages of things you've seen already is a bit of a hassle ;)

And yes, currently 5 of the planned 7 books are out. The sixth one should come in 2014, the 7th one will be a loooooooong wait (3-4 years)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: I always thought that capcom shuffled the games in these collection, but apparently they are all...