The first episode of HBO's The Last of Us TV show releases to critical acclaim

asddasdasdsadsadasdasdasd.png

HBO has finally debuted its TV adaptation of Naughty Dog's The Last of Us. The hour-and-a-half series premiere kicks off the nine-episode-long season, and despite some skepticism surrounding the teaser trailers, the show is currently getting rave reviews from both critics and audiences. HBO's The Last of Us is currently sitting at a 96% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes, and a 9.5/10 on IMDb. Have you gotten a chance to catch the first episode, or is all the acclaim enough to get you to tune in? Let us know in the comments below!

banjojohn

Trophies
XP
Country
I get you but I've made the mistake of following your exact logic and watching countless tv/movie adaptations and I always end up regretting watching.

Recent example is this...read George R Martin's A Game of Thrones ages ago in the 90's and loved it...later on the tv series got enough hype that I watched a few episodes and hated the series...I went on to read the remaining books up to A Dance With Dragons and loved the books with the exception of A Feasf for Crows.
Sounds like your taste is just a bit different than many others'.
I've read the five A Song of Ice and Fire and then watched GoT afterwards. I enjoyed the tv series very much. They change a lot over the series, compared to the books, but season 1 is almost straight up what happens in the first book.

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Save the rant for 4chan buddy. We don't care.

So far, everyone is the best for their role and so well done. Doesn't matter beyond that. Sarah alone was written and acted well. That's the only significance.
Some people can never take an opinion.

Reactions: Y0shII and Attila13

JonJaded

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some people can never take an opinion.
It's funny because I can actually accept some opinions with the critiques, I truly can, but it always devolves to skin color. That first episode was excellent all ways around. I really need these people so hung up about skin color to look at the game and the show side to side in each area and tell everything from characters, to line delivery DOESN'T match up. Looks are whatever, but if you can make me feel the same way I felt when I booted my loud ass, PHAT, Playstation 3 to play TLOU then kudos because every part of the show brings me back to that very moment.

Now, I can't speak for future episodes, I'm willing to keep the dialogue open till then, but based on this first episode, they did it.

Reactions: Xzi and SylverReZ

DarkKaine

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Jesus, who hurt you? Sarah's race has absolutely nothing to do with the story and contributes nothing to the plot. It's such a minor change. I guess you didn't know that a white man can have a dark-skinned child? Stop being a racist and grow the fuck up.
There is nothing racist about despising PC garbage. What, you think they are so proud of having a black character or something? Fighting for equality and coming up for their rights? Yeah no. This is just capitalism because there is a trend. Analysts probably calculated that by doing so they can increase their revenue, and if that ain't it they are just protecting themselves from potential backlash. They just want your money and don't give a shit about anything else. Call me when the depiction of a black character isn't blatantly obviously forced and actually genuine and good. Like literally any role played by Samuel L. Jackson and Morgan Freeman.

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Is it scary? I've seen a lot of people praising the game for its story, but it's really not my favourite genre... Not a big fan of jump scares and gore

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As far as story immersion is concerned a movie or tv series can never pull you in and immerse you in the world like how a game or a book can.

That's why I say movies and Tv are shallow.

Shallow movies and tv are shallow, but good movies and tv can be equally (if not more) immersive than video games. The only way a game has more immersion is by making you a main character in an interactive story versus the passive nature of viewing a movie or TV show.
I can get immersed in a tv show to the extent that I'll binge 8 hours of it in a day... I can't remember the last time a game made me want to spend more than a couple of hours with it in one sitting.

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is it scary? I've seen a lot of people praising the game for its story, but it's really not my favourite genre... Not a big fan of jump scares and gore
I mean it's not scary persay, there's a few moments that would get adrenaline flowing but it's not a jump scare game the same way say FEAR was.

Its dark, gritty and tries to simulate one of the possible scenarios of being alive during that situation, also the clickers aren't the main "bad guys" but more the humans are and how it would all get a bit everyone for themselves.

The humans are way worse to each other than the clickers ever will be.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is nothing racist about despising PC garbage. What, you think they are so proud of having a black character or something? Fighting for equality and coming up for their rights? Yeah no. This is just capitalism because there is a trend. Analysts probably calculated that by doing so they can increase their revenue, and if that ain't it they are just protecting themselves from potential backlash. They just want your money and don't give a shit about anything else. Call me when the depiction of a black character isn't blatantly obviously forced and actually genuine and good. Like literally any role played by Samuel L. Jackson and Morgan Freeman.
A lot of people these days use bs excuse of "you're racist if you don't accept how it is" as a means to avoid real argument and criticism since they're not capable of thinking critically and independently.

Let's not forget that Disney has race-swapped the Little Mermaid in the new Disney Little Mermaid live action movie (coming out later this year) and those who didn't like it were labeled "racist" for not accepting the change, which is just absurd. The Little Mermaid is based on a European, specifically Danish folklore story (by Hans Christian Andersen), so they effectively race-swapped it for an African actress.

2023 Disney

1989 Disney

Illustration of the Little Mermaid by Charles Santore (so it looks she was neither a redhead nor a blonde, but both were still fine since the race hadn't been changed)

9ylywfb.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Little_Mermaid

If it were the other way around, that crowd labeling people "racist" would be mad as hell and demanding everyone involved to be canceled.

Speaking of the Little Mermaid, I've seen TOEI Animation's anime movie version and I loved it, but just know it's very different than how Disney portrayed it.

Has society fallen so low that they can't take criticism and they'd just rather throw around labels to shut others up? Seems to be going that way.

Red_Soldat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Honestly the first episode was pretty good, but I hate Bella Ramsey as Ellie. Not to hate on the actress herself, but I really can't see her as Ellie no matter what

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't gotten to the remake or part, though when I saw the pic, I thought it was a remake of part, and I was like damn, bought the ps4 version. :P I'm at the final dungeon in zestiria, so it's only a matter of time. I had to read what it was about, thought it dealt with zombies. I'll probably watch it with my mom. She wouldn't watch it if it had zombies. She still makes faces at the symbiote scenes in stargate.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I quite liked the first episode apart from the bit where Joel and Tess found out Ellie was infected. It didn't have any punch whatsoever like the game did. Other than that it was pretty solid.

Benja81

GBATemp Sporaddict
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh wow, critics are known for being brutal in their reviews of this series, so this is incredibly shocking!!!!
That's interesting how the film critics love it but the game critics didn't, considering how many people say its more like a movie than a game :unsure:
Never played it, other than maybe a few minutes on PS Now, but def gonna check out the series.

Reactions: niomi

Benja81

GBATemp Sporaddict
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The first episode was good, and because the games are so heavily story-driven in any case, it doesn't seem like I'll be missing anything by just watching the program.
Maybe not. But its possible after watching the show you might enjoy playing the game better, or visa-versa in other cases.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto